Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Blowing Coolant From Expansion Tank!

GPT15

Hello All

I am looking for some help and guidance regarding my Rav4 SR180 on a '58' plate blowing coolant out of the expansion tank.

I noticed this approx. 6 to 8 weeks ago, thought it was a one-off incident but noticed it has occured 3 or 4 times since. I decided to do a little research via this forum and found that this fault leads to what is referred to as a 3/4 engine replacement!

From previous posts am I correct in saying Toyota has an extended warranty due to this fault, for 7 years or 112k miles. This is very important due to the mileage on my Rav being 108k!

I have contacted my local Toyota garage today and explained the fault. They came back to me and informed that the engine is in the category of being at risk, and will require a diagnostic to definately determine the fault. I have booked this for tomorrow.

I queried the extent of the warranty and I was questioned whether my Rav has a full service history. It has been regularly serviced albeit not by Toyota, and the book and has only been stamped once. Please correct me if I'm wrong but what difference does servicing make if the engine is defective from new?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated because I am anticipating a fight with Toyota to get this issue resolved.

Greg

You have to prove that the car has been "Reasonably serviced, maintained" albeit it does not have to have a full dealer service record. Have you done the services yourself? Have you got recipes?... can you get your book stamped up by a nice garage? You are correct that the goodwill extended warranty is 112k or 7 year! I would say contact forum member "CharlieFarley" on here. But I dont think he's here anymore.

You may well have a fight on your hands an all Greg! As this is a goodwill warranty thst you would not get with any other manufacturer. Good luck with it...

You need to be aware any manufacturer may refuse a goodwill contribution if either the car has been serviced outside of their dealer network (as is the case with BMW with the timing chain failures on some Mini engines), or where there is insufficient evidence the vehicle has been serviced in line with their recommendations (ie service intervals, use of sufficient quality parts, etc).

Toyota have extended the warranty on these engines as a goodwill contribution, so they are within their rights to question the vehicle's service history.

You may well question what servicing has to do with an inherent fault. This one can be argued but it's a condition that Toyota have stated in offering the extended warranty on a goodwill basis. It doesn't have to be Toyota servicing but you'll need some evidence that the Toyota schedule has been carried out at the prescribed intervals.

I'm so glad I haven't got the worry anymore with these 2AD engines!

Thank you all for your input and views. What are your opinions on 'reasonably maintained'?

It has had a Toyota service at 40k, & two independent garge services at 62k & 80k. Also I have receipts when I replaced the front discs & pads at 58k, and for a service I did myself at 100k for the oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, front & rear pads.

I

TOC members can give their opinions on what reasonably maintained is, but at the end of the day it is what Toyota thinks that matters.

Toyota service intervals are every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Do you have any other service history apart from what is mentioned above?

It's up to Toyota of course but it doesn't look too good with no service history pre 40 k miles and three successive services then overshooting the schedule by 2, 8 and 10 k miles. Maybe just volunteer what you've got without making an issue - work on the principle that it's all fine. Obviously the dealer has to get approval to proceed - hopefully this doesn't involve too much scrutiny. If someone else had the car pre 40K miles - might be worth checking with the Toyota dealer if theres any Toyota network service details recorded for this period.

Toyota service intervals are every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Do you have any other service history apart from what is mentioned above?

It will have to be the highlighted part. as long as it has been done at a vat registered garage with oem or equivalent parts you would be fine from memory. Due to the lack of every 10k/1y i think it will be very hard for them to get it

Alex

Based on your replies not looking good!

Send a PM to Devon agyo on here! I understand that he is now a member of staff on here and works for Toyota UK. He might be able to shed some light on it for you...

The only major thing they do at 10k is oil and filter change on the engine...

The only major thing they do at 10k is oil and filter change on the engine...

The majority of time spent by a technician during a service is visual inspection. What is done during a service, whether intermediate or full, is a bit of a red herring in this topic. What the OP needs to establish is whether the servicing details he has, constitutes 'reasonable maintenance' in the eyes of Toyota in order to qualify for the goodwill warranty.

That's what im saying as long as hes had the oil changed when it should be as thats all Toyota would do....

How would you prove a visual inspection test?...

Post number 6 suggests that some service history may be missing.

As regards proof of a visual inspection, some independent garages and certainly main dealers produce a checklist as to what has been done during a service, which is issued to the customer with the service invoice.

And I bet that half the time the tech just ticks the boxes and never looks at it! ;)

And I bet that half the time the tech just ticks the boxes and never looks at it! ;)

Could be true - but at the end of the day the tech is signing off the checklist to say that work has been done.

You will need "reasonable" service history, end of, regardless of what you think constitutes service history, it is the recorded dates, mileage, receipts that matter. YOU have to prove that to meet the criteria of GOODWILL as goodwill is what is being offered here, not a warranty repair

The fact it only has one stamp in the book and no recorded history elsewhere, will, in my opinion, constitute incomplete service history, and denial of goodwill, but good luck anyhoo

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links