Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Cvt / M-Drive Reliability & Longevity

jonny123456

So I've just agreed to buy an 11 plate Avensis T4 1.8 V-matic with the auto CVT / M-Drive gearbox.

The Avensis is 3 years old (so 2 years warranty remaining) seems well looked after, drives well, has lots of toys (and things to go wrong) though has a slightly higher than average mileage @ 47,000 miles. I'm hoping to run the car to at least 130,000 (and preferably 150,000 miles).

I made the mistake on googling CVT this evening, and have read lots of horror stories (with few people reporting odometers of over 100,000 miles on CVT cars (though did come across someone in a Nissan Altima who'd hit 300,000 miles - with just one replacement CVT)).

My fear is short lived CVTs, and their huge cost to replace. However, after much searching I don't seem to have found much on problematic Toyota CVTs (which I believe Toyota manufacture themselves - so hopefully a good thing). Just a RAV4 on these forums really.

So my question: what are people's thoughts on this (especially CVT owners)? Is 130,000 miles a realistic/reasonable expectation?

Also is anyone actively ensuring their CVT transmission oil is getting changed? If so how often and at what cost?

Before I bought mine I researched a fair bit on the net and couldn't find a single bad report on that specific box. I found loads on other auto boxes, but nothing on the Toyota CVT one. It's been out since about 2010 IIRC, so you'd think if it was problematic there would be some around by now.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about it. I find front brake calipers rattle and steering wheel knocking more problematic.

Have seen no reports or reviews on high mileage Toyota CVT's so far. like Alan I did lots of research on this particular box before buying the Avensis but could find no reports of problems with them, unlike a certain German DSG system. Only time will tell how reliable they are long term but the cost of replacement is frightening. I intend to keep mine serviced by Toyota to their schedule and extend the warranty as far as I can to cover this and will probably change before the warranty eventually expires. (If the car is maintained by Toyota the warranty period can be extended beyond the 5 years).

So far mine has been faultless and drives now with 37000 miles as it did with 8000 miles, so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

My Toyota Avensis 1.8 valvematic CVT M-Drive has 158000 miles on the clock and it still drives like new!  Its never had the CVT Fluid changed although i am going to do that soon, Just change the oil and filter every 5000 miles or once a year, Drive it properly and you'll have no problems.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links