Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Electric Window Doesn't Know When To Stop!

OJbob

Hi folks

I have a W reg T22 with electric front windows. The other day when winding the window up, there was a bang and a grind. I took the mechanism out and the top plastic wheel over which the cable goes had disintegrated. I bought a second hand one from eBay, attached it and it nearly did the same thing! When winding the window down, it stops itself at the bottom and no amount of button pressing makes it go further. However, when winding the window up, this "self stop" doesn't seem to kick it and if I hadn't let go of the button, the mechanism would have destroyed itself. Is this a faulty item or does the problem lie elsewhere? I can't figure out from looking at the mechanism how it knows when to stop. The motor, when removed from the mechanism, keeps rotating for as long as the button is pressed. Help!!

Thanks

Rob

Thanks for the response. I wasn't sure if it was the second hand part or my car's switch or something else. The eBay seller was very apologetic and is sending another. Fingers crossed!

Thanks

Rob

Oh dear! The replacement arrived, plugged it in and it tore itself apart! This can't be an issue with the motor. It must be a wiring fault. I don't know how it works but the motor must feed back to the switch. Must be a problem with the switch or the wiring to it. Any ideas?

Thanks

Rob

This may help,

I take it that the new motor was for the drivers side not the passengers.

2iuaivl.jpg

Thanks for the help. I don't understand the diagram! Do you think a replacement switch might help? It is the drivers side. It makes getting through the security gate at work interesting!

Thanks

Rob

You could try the switch but I think if the motor works okay then it may be the wiring hence giving you the diagram to work through.

Good luck. ..

Is it possible it just needs resetting?

I'm sure I saw a post a while back with a tutorial on how to get the leccy windows to re-learn where they are supposed to stop...?

Hi Rob,

If you can pull the fuse or disconnect the Battery for about 30 seconds, that may or may not reset the window memory. Can I assume it is the drivers side that is faulty as it is the only switch with auto up and down.

Konrad

Is it possible it just needs resetting?

I'm sure I saw a post a while back with a tutorial on how to get the leccy windows to re-learn where they are supposed to stop...?

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/110681-battery-disconnect-on-2005-20d4d/?p=1003497&hl=+auto%20+window&fromsearch=1#entry1003497

• Like 1

Hi all

Thanks for all the help. I am closing the window without using the auto feature - I'm nudging the switch slowly putting the window up. It knows where to stop when going down, but not when going up. I'll give this a go but I'm getting through electric window regulators at a frightening pace! They literally do rip themselves apart!

Thanks

Rob

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links