Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Wiper

bigpud

hi I have a 1999 avensis se when I turn on ignition the rear wiper turns on but wont turn off when I try to switch it off at the stalk also the washer doesnt work. I have been told its either the relay or the switch. I have replaced the switch and it has not worked but I dont know where the relay is for it has anyone got any ideas? thanks in advance

Hi Chris,

You may need a replacement wiper and washer motors. The wiper motor relay is part of the unit, if I am correct.

The washer motor is in the front right hand side wheel arch, behind the bumper. Unbolt the wheel arch liner, and you will found the washer reservoir bottle with 2 motors.

If it is not clearly labelled, I did a simple test to confirm which is the front and rear motors. Pull one of the connectors from one motor and activate the front wiper. If the front wipers work and washers work or not, then you have identified the front and rear motors. Mark motor and plugs. Now the next part of the test is to plug the front motor connector to the rear and again try the front wash and wipe. This will confirm the rear washer motor is dead. The motor are fairly common so you can get them from anywhere.

Removal - You need a shallow bucket to catch any fluid. Use a flat blade screw driver depress the catch of the retainer behind the motors, then lift up from the motors. Then with the shallow bucket in place, pull the motor away from the reservoir and replace.

The rear motor access - remove screw in the handle recess of tailgate trim. Then carefully pull trim away using a flat blade or special trim tool. From the outside remove wiper arm. Disconnect electrical connector. The motor is held by bolts.

Hopefully this has covered your issues. Haynes manual covers the Avensis mk1 quite well.

Good luck.

Konrad

Thank you i will try that now

It may be due to water getting into the rear wiper motor via worn seals on the wiper motor spindle.

Pete.

My rear wiper went funny a few months ago;

I got a new rubber grommet for about £4 from the main dealer, It's been fine ever since. I was even going to buy a new motor.

I have attached a picture showing which grommet I am referring to, Look at part number 85414R- full part number is 85143-05030

post-125194-0-37446300-1408132514_thumb.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links