Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The New Corolla

Toyosupra[pt]

corRR_drivingLO.jpg

cor_drivingfrLO.jpg

corFR_LO.jpg

cor%20RR%5FLO.jpg

corD4D_interiorLO.jpg

New look for world's best-seller revealed at Madrid Motor Show

Wide range of improvements introduced to 2001 Toyota Corolla

2004 sales target of 175,000 units, including more than 66,000 of the new model

New 90 DIN hp 1.4 D-4D engine, coupled to a Multi-mode Manual Transmission

Vehicle Stability Control now available throughout the range

Several new passive safety features introduced

Revamped T Sport delivers more driving pleasure with sportier looks

New Sport grade, with T Sport flair but for a more affordable price

Changes to exterior design reinforce Toyota identity

Extra equipment and better NVH to further strengthen Corolla's superior quality

The new Toyota Corolla is announced today with a host of improvements and enhancements designed to ensure the car carries on where the current Corolla leaves off - as a world beater.

The changes are the result of extensive customer research conducted by Toyota, aimed at finding improvement areas for the current model, launched in 2001. The policy of continuous improvement (known as "Kaizen") is a fundamental part of Toyota's philosophy.

The new Corolla becomes now even more attractive to young men and women in their early 30s.

Launch date is from June this year through the summer, depending on the country. For 2004 Toyota expects to sell 175,000 Corollas in Europe (not including Corolla Verso), of which more than 66,000 will be from the new model. There are four grades to choose from: Terra, Sport (a new grade available in selected countries), Sol and T Sport.

New 90 DIN hp 1.4 D-4D diesel engine

The new Corolla adopts a 1.4-litre D-4D diesel engine, which is derived from the popular diesel unit installed in the Yaris. The new engine will replace the current 90 DIN hp 2.0 D-4D in the model range.

Compared to the Yaris powerplant, Toyota has incorporated 51 new components in this all-aluminium unit in order to achieve superior performance with lower emissions. Power is increased from 75 DIN hp to 90 DIN hp and torque goes up from 170 Nm to 190 Nm. In addition, the unit now complies with EURO IV emission regulations.

Noise and vibration are also reduced thanks to a new NVH package: engine cover, cylinder head cover, cylinder block side cover, oil pan cover and turbo insulator are all improved to provide a more pleasurable driving experience.

The unit is available as an option with a 5-speed M-MT (Multi-mode Manual Transmission). This is an electrically-operated manual transmission with automatic clutch operation (no clutch pedal). It offers three modes to suit the driver's mood - automatic mode in normal or sporty driving (E and Es) and manual mode (the driver selects gears by moving a sequential shift lever).

Besides the advantages in convenience and driving pleasure, the M-MT can improve fuel economy and CO2 emissions by approximately 2% in comparison with the manual transmission.

When equipped with this engine, the Corolla achieves a top speed of 180 km/h and a 0-100 km/h time of 13.3 seconds (14.5 M-MT). Fuel consumption on the European combined cycle is 4.8 l/100 km (4.7 M-MT) with CO2 emissions of 127 g/km or 125 g/km when equipped with M-MT (figures for 1.4 D-4D unit are still preliminary at this stage).

The diesel offer is complemented by the 116 DIN hp 2.0 D-4D, which already complies with EURO IV regulations and is available across the range. This engine has been further developed with new air intake components to reduce engine noise, while a more efficient radiator and electric fan improve cooling performance.

Other engines in the range include the 97 DIN hp 1.4 VVT-i, 110 DIN hp 1.6 VVT-i and the 192 DIN hp 1.8 VVTL-i. All the manual cars in the Corolla range benefit from a slicker, more precise gearchange, enhancing driving pleasure.

New levels of safety

Safety equipment is also upgraded in the new Corolla. For improved active safety, Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) is now available throughout the range. Other important items, like the electrochromatic rearview mirror and rain-sensitive wipers, are standard in the Sol grade. Larger rearview mirrors are installed in all versions.

To improve passive safety, driver and front passenger SRS airbags have now two-stage inflators and the front passenger airbag has a cut off switch on the side of the instrument panel. This allows the airbag to be turned off by choice with a key. Curtain shield airbags are also available throughout the range.

New Corolla also features a two-stage seatbelt warning system. It warns the driver and front passenger that they have not fastened their seatbelt by way of a warning light and a two-stage buzzer which increases in its urgency if the seatbelt still remains unfastened.

Revamped T Sport and new Sport grade[:X][^]

The top of the new Toyota Corolla range, the exciting T Sport, has been completely re-worked giving it better driving dynamics, more luxury and even better looks.

The exterior has been dramatically improved. Changes start in the front bumper. Its wide air intakes and fog lights take the same style defined for the Yaris T Sport. Front and rear spoilers and side skirts are added to promote the aggressive look. The underfloor of the car is also flattened in order to improve high-speed stability.

Inside, the leather gearlever and steering wheel are finished in red stitching to complement the new sports seats which feature a grey upholstery with red accents and offer superior lateral support. Colour accents, aluminium pedals, footrest plate and carbon fibre-like garnish plates featuring T Sport marks in the door scuff plates reinforce this model's aggressive personality. The final touch comes from the white-faced meters with metallic rings around them, bathed in red illumination.

Suspension - front and rear - has been dramatically improved and now features performance dampers, a first in Corolla's segment. These are struts placed between the suspension towers which work as a damper. The shock absorbing mechanism, connected to the left and right suspension supports, can increase chassis rigidity or provide superior comfort, depending on the application.

Coil springs, shock absorbers, bound stoppers and stabiliser bars are all new, and are tuned to provide even sharper handling. In addition, the body has been lowered in 20 mm which further enhances driving dynamics.

Also new to the Corolla T Sport, is the application of rebound springs to the rear shock absorbers. When cornering, these rebound springs work to pull the body in the right direction and stabilise the car.

Steering feel has also been improved. Compared with the normal versions, the T Sport has a lower gear ratio, which makes steering more direct. In addition, the number of turns (lock to lock) has also been reduced to 3.2 (from 3.5), which makes it more responsive.

To appeal to drivers who wanted the look and feel of the T Sport, but needed something in a price range more suited to them, a new Sport grade has been introduced. The Sport model is based on the entry-level Terra and will appeal especially to young drivers.

On the outside, the Corolla Sport has a street presence thanks to its unique wheel trims, side and rear skirts and colour-coded mirrors, electrically adjustable. On the inside the Corolla Sport uses special blue trim accents in new fabric to give an innovative appearance. The Sport also gets carbon fibre-like inserts similar to T Sport's to reinforce the car's dynamic personality.

Extensive facelift

Improvements have been made to the exterior image. The new Corolla looks more modern and robust. At the same time, designers have introduced small details that reinforce the Toyota design identity and bring Corolla closer to other models of the range.

For the Hatchback, the entire frontal area has been redesigned. The most distinguishing elements are the teardrop headlights and the pronounced bulge on the grille, coming from the brand new Corolla Verso. At the rear, the bumper becomes more massive, with a small aperture, creating a sportier stance. The new rear lamps are red, featuring two white cylinders.

The new front bumper and valence panel on the Sedan and Wagon capture the identity underlined by Avensis. Front grille and headlights have been redesigned and the front fog lamps are moved further out to the sides to give the car a wider look. Rear lights are also given a new design.

[red]A further step in superior quality[/red][^][^][^][^]

The new Corolla's interior is upgraded in equipment and perceived quality. Toyota's European design centre ED2 conceived the new trim materials introduced in all grades.

The steering wheel has been redesigned for enhanced looks and safety. Adjustment is now tilt and telescopic on all versions. The audio switches have now been moved to its front face to allow the driver an easier operation.

Toyota engineers have also added equipment and options to the entry-level Terra model: front power windows, remote power door lock, illuminated glovebox with key locking, audio system with CD player and 4 Speakers and the advanced Optitron lighting for instruments are all standard. Cruise control has been made available as an option on the 1.6 petrol and 2.0 D-4D engined cars.

New Corolla also receives the latest generation of the Toyota full-map navigation system - the most advanced in the segment. Several features are added or improved from the previous generation, including RDS-TMC (Radio Data System - Traffic Message Channel), a dynamic route guidance system. It gathers traffic information through the RDS service when performing route search and so selects the least congested route. At this stage, RDS-TMC is only available in Denmark, Germany, Holland, Sweden and UK.

Noise has been greatly reduced thanks in part to the acoustic windscreen - also featured on the new Corolla Verso - which is fitted to diesel and T Sport versions. Compared with a conventional windscreen, the three-layered acoustic screen represents an improvement in noise absorption, especially at low frequencies.

And THE NEW COROLLA TSPORT :drool:

tsport_dynamicLO.jpg

TSport_rear_low.jpg

TSport_front_low.jpg

TSport_interior_low.jpg

hellooooooooooo

you like the new corolla?

Nice info there - cheers - hoping to see the new Corolla in the flesh at the British Motor Show next week. :D

And to this, I add the Japan-spec Corolla saloon and estate... Amazing that the Japanese version still uses a 2.2 litre direct injection (3C-E) version of the same 2.0 atmo diesel (2C, 2C-E) in the E10 and prefacelift E11 models in Europe did...

Here's the saloon:

ex05_prv.jpg

ex03_prv.jpg

For full-size pictures, visit http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyot...rior/index.html

And the estate (called Corolla Fielder there):

ex02_prv.jpg

ex03_prv.jpg

More full-size pictures at:

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyot...rior/index.html

Thanks for the info mate! :thumbsup:

The Japanese Corolla Runx has some pretty matallic insert finish along the dash and front doors. Thought that the Europen version would have it too, but it seems like it won't! Even the dials are different,

int01_vga.jpg

doesn't look much different to me! :lol:

the performance changes with the tsport sound very good though, the better suspension will be fantastic with this car :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Again

Having looked at the details of the face-lifted Corolla on Toyota UK's site there seems to be only T2, T3 & T-Sport models, no T-Spirit! The price list linked from the page shows a picture of the face-lifted model but says 2004 model year and shows prices for the T-Spirit?

The site says: "The T3 three and five-door models are given a new sporting profile with the addition of side and rear body skirts". I saw a T3 with the body kit in a local dealer's today and thought it looked awful - the side skirts look like 'running boards' (showing my age here :rolleyes: ). I assumed it must have been an option but it seems to be standard.

Andy

Together with the terra and sol, there's a new lineup called the sports. By standard this will include side and rear skirts, leather gear knob and stearing wheel, carbon like inserts, fog lamps, blue seats, and other few goodies. In Malta it will also include 15" rims, and the price for the Sport upgrade is extreemly worth it!

I'll get mine in August....hopefully! :D

Is it just me or does the new T-Sport look all !Removed! and curvy like the Yaris now?

Might need to see some better pics, but for now I'll keep my 2002 CTS. Maybe a wonder down the dealership will help me decide.

Are they out in the UK yet?

It's something about the nose - is it shorter? Curved more? I'm not sure.

Suffice to say, a visit to the dealership is in order - be a good time to get that sat nav option I always wished I'd gone for. ;)

YEP! I LOOOOOOVE THE WHITE SPEEDOMETER!!!!

I WONDER IF I COULD BUY ONE FROM THE DEALER?

Yep - its about £16K :P

Comes with a free T-Sport.....

<joke> :D

from a quick at the Toyota web site i see that the new t sport comes only in three doors. shame. I'm sure there are many that see the tsport as a good comprimise between a family car and a quick hatch. i see my 03 tsport in that light and without the five doors could/would not have bought it.

ZH

I noticed that, maybe Toyota felt that is not financially viable to carry on building the 5dr CTS as sales were to low to warrant manufacture!

Very strange as Honda are planning on making a 5dr Type R I read recently!

After much deliberation I'm gonna stick with what I've got. I hate what they've done to the front bumper/skirt/grille assembly and the side skirting just looks awful.

Gonna save my money, not upgrade and buy some 17" wheels instead!

YEP! I LOOOOOOVE THE WHITE SPEEDOMETER!!!!

I WONDER IF I COULD BUY ONE FROM THE DEALER?

Yep - its about £16K :P

Comes with a free T-Sport.....

<joke> :D

NOOOOOOO!!!

please!!!! I want ones! :crybaby:

from a quick at the Toyota web site i see that the new t sport comes only in three doors. shame.

I noticed this, yet there is a picture of a 5 door T-Sport higher up in this thread.

Andy

I hope Mr.Toyota makes the 5-door in the near future.I think the new CTS is better...just need bigger wheels

After much deliberation I'm gonna stick with what I've got. I hate what they've done to the front bumper/skirt/grille assembly and the side skirting just looks awful.

Gonna save my money, not upgrade and buy some 17" wheels instead!

i agree with you it really dont look all that good,you be crazy to sell your cts for this so called facelift cts. :D

I feel the 2004 Corolla T-Sport is an improved car over the out going model. Two of my main glitches have been sorted which were the unsupportive seats have now been much improved and the steering which I feel was quite vague at times is now much sharper. Also changes to the anti roll bar mean all round the car should behave much better if driven hard round corners.

I would love to get my hand on one for a hour or two!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links