Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2006 Diesel Help Please

samsparro

Hi folks

I am a new poster on here, I have been reading charliefarlies thread on the ongoing problems with the D4-D engine and am after some help and guidance please.

The rav isn't owned by me, but by mum and was bought by my late father who died this year. It is a 2006 D4-D with just under 99'000 miles on the clock, full service history from listers Toyota in Lincoln.

Basically, we have been told that the head gasket has gone on the car. It began overheating a few weeks ago when towing our caravan and spat coolant all over the engine bay. Listers have it at the minute and are telling my mum that the head gasket has gone and that she needs a new engine at a cost of £4000.

I have read the thread on the new engines being fitted by Toyota, but my mums car falls outside that due its age.

However, it was recalled around 3.5 years ago for some work on the Pistons of the engine (not sure if this was a recall across the board for all Rav's). It then Went back in for using excessive oil about 2 years ago, but at the minute we can't find exactly what happened then as it was my dad that sorted that.

So I am after any help or advice people can give me. I don't know if what listers are saying is correct, my next point of call is Toyota direct to see what they say. It seems strange that there are known problems with this engine, and that this is what is effecting our car at the minute.

Listers are adamant that Toyota won't stand any warranty claim as it is outside of their parameters...

Help????

Sam

Toyota offered a period of goodwill (7 years or 111,846 miles - whichever occurs first) on head gasket issues with these engines - which is far beyond what other manufacturers offer. Your car is beyond the goodwill period on age.

You can approach Toyota, but I think they adhere quite rigidly to the above time/mileage constraints.

At the end of the day, the car is eight years old and has done a fair mileage.

A Toyota dealer should be able to tell you what exactly was done to the car 3.5 years ago. There was no recall - it was a response to customer complaints about faults, including excessive oil consumption. In the early days, Toyota dealers would rebuild engines in-house and later moved to replacing engines. In general, Rav's with replacement engines have given few ongoing problems whilst those rebuilt by dealers have been a bit of a mixed bag.

The oil burning / head gasket issue was well known and Toyota responded with a goodwill extended warranty. Unfortunately you are outside the goodwill warranty conditions and based on the experience of other owners, Toyota will not entertain claims even if only a mile or a day outside the warranty. I have my own views on how Toyota have dealt with an issue which was of their own doing - and many owners are now being left in an untenable position.

It would be interesting to know what was done to your fathers car and at what mileage and it is possible (but unlikely) that the gasket failure is not connected with the known engine problem. Whatever - the solution is going to be expensive and in the worst case, in the same ballpark as the value of the car in good condition. You can understand why some owners with Ravs outside of the warranty and displaying head gasket symptoms - rapidly part exchange such cars.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links