Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2014 Icon+ Stupid Sat Nav!

redadair

Hi all,

No, this is not a story about driving into a river. I very rarely get timely updates for major traffic jams. Any idea what could be the problem? Car is 2 months old approx 1.3k miles on the clock.

I do a regular commute on the M56 to Manchester on the way home. I always put the sat nav to my home destination as a habit.

The M56 was jam packed for miles. I was in a stop start queue for 20-30 minutes and I kept sat nav screen on.

Whilst I was stationery I was looking through settings and options in case I missed something. All I could see was my traffic announcements come through radio signals. I pressed the "traffic" icon on the right hand side it made no difference except one was a colour option and one was mono if that make sense.

Eventually the unit piped up and I had a "warning" announcement through my Speakers and no alternative route was available - go figure!

Is there something I have to do to get up to date instant traffic info to prevent a repeat of the above?

Cheers for any help, Red!

What version of Touch n Go do you have?

Earlier Touch n Go receives traffic updates via the TMC radio system and is only as good as the info going in and depends largely on radio stations transmitting the info in a timely manner.

The latest Touch n Go 2 can use both TMC above but also can use TomTom HD Traffic however this needs to use your mobile phones data connection you need to allow bluetooth tethering , and have a data plan on your phone, this updates regularly and is far superior to the TMC system

Hi Devon, thanks for the response.

I assume I have the latest sat nav and update or at least that's what the salesman said when I asked him direct. Is there a way I can find out for in you in some settings menu?

Re the phone tethering, I have a 3 network phone and I've tried many a blue dun / tether trick to get around it but to no avail. I do however have a work phone that connects fine to the internet for toyota. However, my personal phone I cannot get to work.

In previous cars I've neve had NO internet connection and had sat nav. The traffic updates were pretty good and spot on. That's without having a phone bluetoothed to the car.

So I'm a wee bit miffed my travel updates are not coming in. Maybe I switched something off on the radio?? Cheers, Red!

I bet he had his fingers crossed behind his back when he answered your question.

• Like 1

Hi Devon, thanks for the response.

I assume I have the latest sat nav and update or at least that's what the salesman said when I asked him direct. Is there a way I can find out for in you in some settings menu?

Re the phone tethering, I have a 3 network phone and I've tried many a blue dun / tether trick to get around it but to no avail. I do however have a work phone that connects fine to the internet for toyota. However, my personal phone I cannot get to work.

In previous cars I've neve had NO internet connection and had sat nav. The traffic updates were pretty good and spot on. That's without having a phone bluetoothed to the car.

So I'm a wee bit miffed my travel updates are not coming in. Maybe I switched something off on the radio?? Cheers, Red!

To determine what version you have take a look here http://www.toyota-mapupdates.eu/Shop/Index

Follow the instructions to determine what versions you are running, specifically the Software version.

As for turning something off I'm not sure there is anything but I will have a look at my Icon + demo tomorrow which is running touch 2

I bet he had his fingers crossed behind his back when he answered your question.

I do spend time away from the forum occasionally, so I may not always answer right away.

Hmm, the pics don't resemble my layout. Thanks again Devon, I really appreciate the help.

I'll take pics of my setup tomorrow and check the settings etc Cheers! Red!

Sorry for the late pic, I have camera phone setup issues!

It did the same again today. ie sit in a traffic Jam and no warning of what I was heading into

Here's my system. 2014 auris icon+ - what model do I have?

Dam it where is the insert pic button lol

File attached I hope

post-143428-0-11761800-1417895240_thumb.

You have Touch & go 2 which comes with 12 months free TomTom HD traffic, have you registered yourself & the car at www.my.toyota.eu ?

Once you are registered you can activate the TomTom traffic and there are guides on how to set up the bluetooth tethering required to allow the car to access updates.

Right I've been out playing in my car to see how I have my car setup as I do get traffic updates:

My car is registered on my.toyota.eu and connects to the internet via bluetooth tethering when the phone connects to the car.

If you press the "map/nav" button twice you get to a screen with 4 options down the left select the triangular roadsigns, here you select how your nav will get traffic updates, mine is set to "traffic information over internet" by selecting this your car will set up a connection, once that is complete ( only needs to be done once ) by pressing "traffic information over internet" again you get options on how often the car updates in the UK and when abroad options include Manual, auto, frequent auto & off.

With these settings once I set a destination I get a traffic bar down the left of the map screen this shows any issues on my route and I get the option popping up on screen for a detour of it can save me time, also by pressing the triangular roadsigns button on the right of the map screen puts the car in traffic map mode see pg 189 of nav manual for more info.

Many, many thanks Devon. Really appreciate the help :)

Yes, I am registered in Toyota EU, however I do have PITA problems with my 3 network phone not allowing bluetooth tethering. Gutted! :(

Ooohhh I wonder if the pressing the radio TMC will give me similar options? Thanks a lot, something to try! Cheers! Red!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links