Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlights

zigman

I'm thinking about taking the headlight apart and painting them black inside. Has anyone attempted this before? And what would be best to glue them back together with?

Thanks

Haven't come across anyone posting on the Auris forum anything on dis-assembling headlight units. Do remember there was someone on, I think, the Avensis forum who took their headlights apart - think to correct an issue with the reflectors. From memory, they heated the headlight unit in an oven to soften the adhesive but don't remember what adhesive they used to re-assemble the units. Try searching the Avensis forum.

It's been done to an Auris aswell. Did it last summer, please take a look here for more info. It takes some time and effort but is well worth it. DO NOT use oven if you have Auris, as the headlight glue is so hard you will have to melt other parts of the headlight before making the sealing soft. Use heat gun instead to be able to point the heat where you need it the most.

Thanks very much for the help. You have provided a great bit of info! What sealant/rubber did you use to seal the headlights back up?

Thanks

No problem :) I used 3M windshield seal, but there should be many other good options on the market (for example Koito), especially in Europe. Here in Finland there's not so much options available to choose from.

Great, will definitely be a job for the warmer times. I was thinking of using brake caliper paint just to be on the safe side but I wouldn't think it will get hot enough for normal paint to start peeling? Also not very sure what colour to use as I don't want it too dark, but also don't want to go gray. Kind of looking for a dark smoke look.

Don't worry normal paint is just fine. I was thinking about possible problems aswell but was convinced there won't be any issues and everything has been fine so far.

I would recommend using some colour which is close to your black plastic parts on the front. And do not use piano black paint of course :)

BTW you can add some special effect by leaving the parts around the holes unpainted. Then you will have them in chrome and not total black headlights. I was going to do that, but use car's body colour instead of chrome. When the chrome parts were painted and covered in order to paint the rest black, masking tape peeled off while it was removed. So had to paint everything again and all black. Paint will stick to the surface but not as good as to some other one as this is chrome. You need to make it matte first with sand paper or special fluid in order to make it paintable. Also need to be careful during the installation of the painted parts inside the headlight in order not to peel the edges when sticking it in.

Yeh, I think I will probably leave the rings chrome. Just balances it out a little bit. I was also thinking about getting the glass off the indicator, getting an led bulb and leaving it expesed. I think it would look quite nice but will decide on that later ☺ I'm going to paint my wheels in satin black so should have some of that paint left over for the lights.

Sounds like a plan, please keep us updated it will be nice to hear how it goes.

Yeh definitely, not sure when this will happen but will certainly post some pics. I'm only able to do this out in the shed so will wait for warmer times

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links