Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Just Checking In

Fogey

I'm new here - hello.

I have a 53 plate RAV4 D4D VX estate which has been in the family since new - I bought it from my father in law 2 years ago. It's just topped 100k miles, and the trim (leather) has all the scuffs and scrapes you'd expect from a decade of use by three generations of a family and their dogs.

It's a damn good car, apart from the turbo which failed on me today (my apologies if you were on the M62 at Brighouse and encountered the cloud of smoke and the Highways Agency's insistence that the inside lane be closed because there was a broken down car with children in it on the hard shoulder. Muppets.)

I'm here because I really want to keep this car, but this week it's costing me about £1k for a replacement turbo. It's only my third car in 29 years - I drove 240k miles from new in a Citroen C3, and before that 150k miles in a second hand Peugeot 205; I'm hoping to add another 150k to this Toyota, which should cover me for the next ten years.

So I'm here to learn what I can about common faults to look out for, tips for preventive maintenance, and general information on ways to extend the longevity of what has become my favourite of all my cars.

Hello Gareth - welcome to Toyota Owners Club

• Like 1

Thanks.

It's back in the garage again today; after the turbo was fitted yesterday, I drove it on a sixty mile round trip and had intemittent power loss from about 2500rpm upwards. I struggled to get over 40mph - which was confusing, because the turbo was definitely working.

Thankfully the engine management light came on, so the on-board computer had logged a fault and the garage could plug their computer in and sort it out - they are now now replacing the Suction Control Valves. (A few minutes Googling has revealed that this is a fairly common issue with D4D RAV4s.)

All in all, an expensive couple of days. Total bill will be around £1400.

Beans on toast for Sunday lunch...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links