Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 Start Up Problems

avondale49

I have a Rav 4,1998 2 litre petrol car. Had the about 3 years today for the first time the engine wouldn't start. So I charged the Battery overnight and tried today, again wouldn't start. The engine turns but just doesn't seem to want to start. Could it a spark plug or a ht lead or a starter motor. Would greatly appreciate any help.

To check if its the starter heres a good way. Get someone to help you and push the car on a flat road then get in and start the car while moving. If it starts like this then you have to get a new starter motor. Car will start when moving if its starter.

• Like 1

Welcome to the club Roy. :thumbsup:

Was the engine turning over as usual or was it slow to do so and that is why you charged the Battery?

Also did it help the cranking speed after that? If not it could be a Battery with a dud cell as charging it would still not provide the full 12 volts needed or indeed the starter may be at fault. How old is the Battery? The original battery fitted was often considered by some members as a bit on the small size ampere delivery wise and fitted the same one as on the diesel model

Your car is now 16/17 years old so if the battery is that old it has not done too bad

I don't think I would fancy trying to push start it as there is a lot of drag on a 4x4 and towing is not recommended as it can damage the transmission train

Del

• Like 1

Thanks Del

Your right about trying to push the Rav, it's even harder being an automatic. The engine was turning over slow until I charged the Battery overnight and it sounded a lot better when I tried to start the car. I even tried an Battery booster to try to start it but with no luck.

Regards Roy

You dont have to push far, literally 10 ft, as long as the car rolls just slightly at very little speed it should start up if its the starter. Also I doubt its your Battery as it wouldent crank if it was bad. Cranking uses alot of Battery and if it has enough to crank engine for 15 seconds, its got enough energy to start car.

Oh right, dident know it was an auto. Don't try it then :P

Can't bump start an automatic vehicle so forget that idea.

Crossed my mind you could have flooded the engine with the slow turning over, suggest taking the spark plugs and cleaning them or put a new set in.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links