Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Intermittent Problem With Front Washers

Scoboblio

Good afternoon everyone :) I have a 2006 Yaris and am experiencing an intermittent problem with the front washer jets – Most of the time when I try to use them I can hear the pump whirring away but nothing comes out of the jets, except maybe a small dribble of water now and again…. But on seemingly random occasions (and without having done anything at all), they’ll work absolutely fine. I’ve read that pump failure can be quite common but considering A: it’s an intermittent problem and B: I can hear the pump working even when nothing’s coming out, I don’t think that’s the issue. The rear washer seems unaffected.

Sometimes I just wish it’d break completely and stop getting my hopes up :D Can anyone offer any suggestions as to the cause please?

Ian.

A trapped hose maybe? Are all the hose runs to the jets straight and unhindered?

I think so Colin! But worth a double check if this could be the cause......

Sounds like a potentially blocked none return valve. They're normally inline, and often on the front jets they're built into the Y/T piece that takes the single supply pipe to the two jets.

Worth unplugging it and trying to see if you get a strong jet or not. If so then replace the valve, universal ones are normally only a few pounds in Halfords etc.

• Like 1

Great idea, thanks :) will try it at the weekend.

MEP's you were spot on, it was a blocked t piece! Got hold of a spare and all sorted now :) had to remove the wipers + trim to get to the piping but in all it was a cheap and easy fix.

• Like 1

Nice one, glad it was an easy fix :)

Its normally caused by stagnant screen wash / water turning to a jelly and then being sucked through the pump, so always use a good mix and I tend to find it doesn't happen, has only been an issue for me on 2nd hand cars I've bought where the previous owner hasn't used a decent screenwash.

• 6 years later...
On 4/12/2015 at 1:43 PM, Scoboblio said:

MEP's you were spot on, it was a blocked t piece! Got hold of a spare and all sorted now :) had to remove the wipers + trim to get to the piping but in all it was a cheap and easy fix.

My wife's Yaris may have this problem and I'm planning to take a look tomorrow.

We have already bought the non return valve as it was only £1.80), will this one do :
https://www.halfords.com/tools/fuses-electricals-and-fixings/fixings/halfords-in-line-valve-hfx370-868810.html

Could you please tell me how much trim  need to remove to get to the valve ? Plus any hints that may help, or is it all pretty straightforward ? ! ?

Just finished replacing the Yaris washer non return valve, and I wish I'd been able to read this before I'd done it, it'd have saved me hours !

First, do not be side tracked by articles about how to access the Yaris washer motor or tank. Unless there are more than one non return valves then the one we need is under the top panel below the wipers......

Second I wish I'd marked the wipers' positions on the drive spindles because it would have made it easier to replace them. I had not done that so had to do it by trial and error and the soddin' things kept moving round when I turned on the ignition !

Next, here are where the clip are top remove the panel :

1797368959_Yarisscreenwasherrepairpanelremoval800WL10.thumb.jpg.f5ac6565934584f527c6d5066dc4d07d.jpg

Next, the original Yaris one way valve is a combined valve and T piece :

1335259501_YarisscreenwasheroriginalcombinednonreturnvalveandTpiece2800WL10.thumb.jpg.79f37737ffb8c1c92a198aa4b9256305.jpg1025842659_ToyotaYariswashercombinedTpieceandnonreturnvalve600WL10.thumb.jpg.65f29612f86f4a38c1be44f69f955cc5.jpg

In order to save time (I'd hoped...) I had already been round Halfords and bought their one way valve but that will not do the job, at least not on its own, as the Yaris original type is a combined T piece / valve assby. On the day I did the job I phoned our local Toyota dealer to see if they had one one of the latter in stock and how much it was, they neglected to answer the phone (it'd probably have been really expensive anyway...) so I went back to Halfords (quite frustrating....) and bought a T piece, figuring I could then get the system to work. NOTE : the valve and T piece are 5mm types. :

1189119061_HalfordswasherTpieceandinlinenonreturnvalave800WL10.thumb.jpg.84e0233e82479c6fc19f72783c4aab62.jpg

Separate in line valve and T piece as used to replace the Yaris combined unit :

271560497_YarisscreenwasherrepairreplacementinlinevalveandseparateTpiece800WL10.thumb.jpg.aa3aa2e5faec51b6fb51130c8838a0ef.jpg

You may well have broken some of the clips when they were removed (or they were already broken). I had to replace the left hand clip assby (the unique round one that removes) with a nut and bolt, and I put a self tapper through to replace the middle three clips which had broken.

I assume I have repaired the intermittent no washer jets (though the pump was running), but because it was an intermittent fault one can never be sure...... I'll try to remember to report back in a few months if the fault has not reappeared

Just to clarify, our Yaris is a 2008 model.

Was interested what was in one of those Yaris screenwash valves so stripped it down. Interestingly I could not find anything in it (like a foreign body) which would stop it working ! :

921994121_Yaris-combined-washer-T-piece-and-non-return-valve300W.thumb.jpg.9164d95064af021b6088b6f73fb8c43d.jpg

• 10 months later...

Hi Justin,

I have just come across this thread and it might be a lifesaver.  The washers on our Yaris have been iffy for some time and the problem explained in this thread is exactly what we are experiencing.

At least I now know where the pipes are run and where the one-way valve is located. Can you please give me some tips on removing the clips to gain access to the panel.  One clip is already broken but I don't know how to release the other clips - push/pull/squeeze?  Any help will be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

19 hours ago, Ken57 said:

Hi Justin,

I have just come across this thread and it might be a lifesaver.  The washers on our Yaris have been iffy for some time and the problem explained in this thread is exactly what we are experiencing.

At least I now know where the pipes are run and where the one-way valve is located. Can you please give me some tips on removing the clips to gain access to the panel.  One clip is already broken but I don't know how to release the other clips - push/pull/squeeze?  Any help will be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

TBH Ken half of them broke when I unclipped them. This is common on many cars which use plastic clips, tight ****d manufacturers I'm afraid. 

Just compress the clip and hope for the best :

You may well have broken some of the clips when they were removed (or they were already broken). I had to replace the left hand clip assby (the unique round one that removes) with a nut and bolt, and I put a self tapper through to replace the middle three clips which had broken.

As an aside. my wife's Yaris has poor washer pressure now. I am unsure if this has come on recently or was caused by the non standard parts I put in. If the latter I would have thought I'd have noticed at the time ( ! ), but either way it might be worth using the genuine Toyota part, even if you do have to order it and pay more for it !

Thanks for that Justin.

I have ordered 'the correct' one way valve from eBay.  However, the first job this week is to repair the exhaust on my wife's Yaris as it has come apart at the rear of the Cat.

As a result of your help I feel quite confident that I will be able to solve the washer problem.

My wife's Yaris is a 2011 T Spirit and I have just purchased a Yaris Cross.

Thanks again for your help.

Ken

• 6 months later...

There is a thread (on the Auris forum, here) which is very possibly of relevance to this problem.

It concerns why screenwash systems get blocked up. Possibly Algal growth or maybe the mixing of different screenwash solutions.

Thanks for the info Justin.

It could prove useful.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links