Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Plugin Versions Of Hybrids?

dcweather

Is the constraint on making a plugin version of Auris and Yaris one of size? Our Yaris hybrid is a remarkable car . Most people buy smaller hatches for short journies around town and as such the Yaris and Auris would sell in droves if they were able to be plugins. I know there is an after market kit for the Auris which sounds good but surely there is a reason why Toyota isn't doing it.

Dave

A plugin needs a larger Battery to enable it to run further on stored energy. I suspect the extra size and weight would be too much for a small car.

It's a shame they can't do a Tesla and just turn the entire floor of the car into a giant Battery pack!

That said, the Leaf has 100 mile (ish) range and is roughly the same size as the Yaris.

I think Toyota should look at producing smaller engines; The 1.5 Atkinsonesque is efficient but takes up a lot of space. Maybe they could make an 800cc or 600cc 3-pot or 2-pot that can generate similar power while still having similar efficiencies, or even that 1.0 Atkinsonesque VVTi they're supposed to be bringing to the new Aygo. That should save space that can be given to more batteries!

The ultimate would be some sort of gas turbine; The efficiency on these tends to be a bit crap unless they're running at full power, but that would work great for a HSD, and as a bonus they're much easier to make small.

Also they make cool turbo noises :D

Really we just need better batteries. It's annoying as electrics work best in urban environments, but in an urban environment you generally want something small and nippy, whereas batteries take up large amounts of space for very little stored energy and weigh a lot!

A plugin needs a larger battery to enable it to run further on stored energy. I suspect the extra size and weight would be too much for a small car.

As above really.

Judging by the space needed in my Prius Plugin to be able to make the Yaris HSD a plug in you'd need to remove the rear seats and turn it into a car derived van for the Battery space needed under the floor.

I am sure Li-Ion batteries would be more efficient space wise than the NIH ones Toyota use... And a LOT more expensive...

I am sure Li-Ion batteries would be more efficient space wise than the NIH ones Toyota use... And a LOT more expensive...

Li-Ion is what is used in the Prius Plug In (and Prius +)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links