Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Self Servicing A False Economy?

ABToyota

Just bought my first Auris but have always had Toyotas in the past.

My Auris is a 2009 1.6 vvti, registered 10/4/09 - surprised its not a Vmatic.

Anyway the last service was at 28k miles (it has had 5 services done in total - with brake fluid change at 15k) and now its done 47k so really overdue a service - I am the 3rd owner. Before I bought the car I used clickmechanic to check it out and the engineer said it was in very good condition - which is true.

Now looking at the service schedule the engineer has checked everything and more -brakes, fluids, tyres. bodywork etc.

What the care needs oil change, brake fluid change, oil, air and pollen filters - now I can buy the parts all genuine Toyota and get them replaced at a local garage but I just wont get the service book stamped.

Now I think the major service is circa £300 but that doesnt guarantee the brake fluid is replaced and as to the checks I have had them all done so I am in a bit of a dilemma - do I pay for a full service knowing all I need is the fluid changes and get a stamp or just do the fluid changes myself and forgo the stamp?

I have always done servicing myself, and as long as you use oem parts, and keep receipts, shouldn't be a problem when selling it on

Under Toyota's Fixed Price Servicing scheme, you would have the choice of either a full service @ £205 or a full+ service @ £275 - neither of which includes a brake fluid change @ £39 - see:

http://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/service-and-maintenance/car-servicing.json

If something major were to go wrong with the car and you approached Toyota re a goodwill contribution towards an out-of-warranty repair, having Toyota stamps in your service book may provide more chance of Toyota providing some goodwill, although the break in servicing between 28K and 48K may raise a question over adherence to servicing. Without the Toyota stamps, goodwill may be declined.

Having said that, there doesn't appear to be any major weaknesses with the 1.6 petrol Auris.

Your choice really.

I have always done servicing myself, and as long as you use oem parts, and keep receipts, shouldn't be a problem when selling it on

Well I am going to buy a genuine Toyota Service kit - only issue is they all come with the 5w30 oil and not the 0w20 that's recommended.

Under Toyota's Fixed Price Servicing scheme, you would have the choice of either a full service @ £205 or a full+ service @ £275 - neither of which includes a brake fluid change @ £39 - see:

http://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/service-and-maintenance/car-servicing.json

If something major were to go wrong with the car and you approached Toyota re a goodwill contribution towards an out-of-warranty repair, having Toyota stamps in your service book may provide more chance of Toyota providing some goodwill, although the break in servicing between 28K and 48K may raise a question over adherence to servicing. Without the Toyota stamps, goodwill may be declined.

Having said that, there doesn't appear to be any major weaknesses with the 1.6 petrol Auris.

Your choice really.

I accept your point but the 5 previous services were done at a non Toyota Garage. Also as the car is out of warranty I think it's unreasonable to expect Toyota to fix an issue unless it can be shown to be a fault at the time of manufacturing - unlikely as the car is now 6 years old.

I intend to keep the car for about 2 years - and then get another Auris but an autobox. I think this will be my last manual.

OK - you hadn't said the previous services were non-Toyota. As the past five services were done by independents, there is no advantage in having a Toyota stamp in the service book now.

If the car is a Dual VVti (pre Optimal Drive) rather than Valvematic, Toyota's preferred oil will be the 5W-30.

I have done servicing myself too, because I'm more confident in what I'm doing rather than what mechanic does :) , as long as I use oem engine oil 5W30 (my engine uses 3.7 L), so 4 L cost around 40 euros, oil filter, pollen filter and air filter cost maximum 35 euros all three (I use only mann filters), than my servicing is cheaper and better done than any mechanic's that I know.

OK - you hadn't said the previous services were non-Toyota. As the past five services were done by independents, there is no advantage in having a Toyota stamp in the service book now.

If the car is a Dual VVti (pre Optimal Drive) rather than Valvematic, Toyota's preferred oil will be the 5W-30.

This is what's confusing me, the service manual says 0w20 yet as its vvti so 5w30 is recommended.

If you get it done at a local garage whether you supply the parts or not they should stamp the book

I do all my own servicing myself with genuine Toyota parts and have a service stamp saying genuine toyota parts which I bought off eBay. Keep receipts to show new buyers.

Thanks everyone - going down the route of buying original parts and getting the garage to fit and stamp the book.

Now my service manual says 0w20 but I have been reading up and many say as the engine is 6 years old its best to go with a thicker oil - 5w30. I plan to change the oil every year - the car will be used as a local run around so mileage will be 3-5k max - lots of short less than 1mile journeys.

So as to oil shall I go for Toyota, Shell Mobil 1, or Castrol?

AB

I do all my own servicing and get and have a stamp from the garage (that I'm part time at anyway ) but I do the work on my driveway

I use petronas oil and if your doing short journeys I would stay with a thicker oil

as there's a little more resistance so should warm up faster but won't be as good for fuel economy as its more effort for the car to push past... the thinner oil will help the car feel less sluggish when cold and keep the economy up but it's not too high mileage to be worried about the oil yet

Also do I need to replace my Spark Plugs? (car just turned 6 years and done 45k) If so what type should I buy - in kits I have seen the spark plugs priced around £20 for a set but from eurocarparts looking at £40.

Has anyone bought from http://genuineserviceparts.com

Again thanks in advance for your replies.

Have the plugs ever been changed its normally every 4 yrs

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links