Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Died On A Hill

james.s

Can someone help me please. I have an 05 avensis d4d 2.0. Over the past few weeks I've noticed it losing power but it's got worse. On take of there is next to no power. When the turbo kicks in it goes a bit quicker just not like it used to. On a hill the power drops of and I have to drops down gears. Depends on the length of the hill how many gears I drop down. On steeper hills I have to drop into 1st. When I'm at 4000 revs and change into 2nd the engine revs drop down to point of stalling then I have to go back to 1st. I tried a hill start and near had to burn the clutch out to get the thing to go. There is no lights on the dash. No smoke. Fuel and air filter changed. Egr replaced inlet manifold cleaned, intercooler pipes checked and as far as I can tell no air leak. The car is not in limp mode and will still travel at 80mph just no power.

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

I would check the map/boost sensor and the vacumm pipe going to it.

All the pipes seem to be ok no air leaking that I can see. Was told to spray wd40 round the pipes. Which I did and all seems good

You mentioned the EGR was cleaned; Was the throttle body inspected and cleaned out too?

Yes it was cleaned too

Suction control valves? Air in fuel line?did you prime it when you put new fuel filter on?

Yeah primed it when new fuel filter went on

Possible clutch and/or flywheel issues.

The clutch was supposed to be replaced before I got it I've had it a year. All the gears are easy to get. I believe the clutch has been changed because the clutch is very heavy and anyone who has worked on it has remarked about how heavy it is and said that it's not a Toyota clutch

I have always had clutch issues with these cars, I currently have 2 that are running and 1 that is not.

1st-04 very heavy clutch when bought(this was a haggling point)- changed master cylinder made it a bit lighter(from advice)- then started slipping replaced clutch kit and flywheel- an improvement but still has some tightness- now at the moment if it has the blower on it it goes lighter.

2nd car 06- was light as a feather at 80,000 started going heavy at around 120,000, currently on 150,000+ I have a clutch kit (luk) waiting to go in need to get a flywheel first.

3rd, 03 is light as a feather- do not know history of car as bought for spares 160,000 on the clock- 5th gear has gone on it.

who ever I have shown the heavy clutches too, they immediately say its the pressure plate.

There is no definite answer out there for this avensis heavy clutch.

It's the same as this problem. I've seen several possibilities and people who has replaced all possibilities and still no joy

• Like 1

Hope you get it sorted mate, let us know how you get one.

is there any way you could get old of liamautomechanic he is from northern ireland too

https://www.youtube.com/user/Liamautomechanic/about

either send him a message through youtube or click on the paypal url and you should see his email address.

this is something I have saved these are devon aygo's words- these were for limp mode/blacksmoke

Black smoke is poor combustion of fuel.

Starting with the simple:
Blocked/blocking fuel filter
Blocked/blocking air filter
Air leak in intake / turbo hoses
Air leak in vacuum hoses
Poor quality fuel

Moderate stuff:
Faulty glow plugs
Stuck or bglocked EGR valve
Faulty MAF sensor
Faulty Turbo vacuum sensor

Difficult stuff:
Faulty SCV valves
Faulty injectors
Faulty diesel pump
Faulty Turbo
Faulty high pressure fuel pump

when you say your clutch was changed was this word of mouth or is there a receipt?

I'm going on word of mouth from dealer unfortunately. He knew the guy that owned the car and did some work on it. The only smoke I get from the car to is white smoke on start up after two or three seconds it's gone

I have also changed air and fuel filter, cleaned egr valve and manifold checked all pipes for leaks, tested voltage going to all glow plugs and car starts fine. I only use bp fuel no supermarket fuel. I had that terraclean done to just to try and clean any carbon in the system. I've put injector cleaner and diesel system cleaner in the car to

• Like 1

Cleaned the mass air flow sensor and took fuel line of fuel filter and pumped some diesel though it. Seems to be running a bit better. Tried a hill start and was able to take of a bit better than before. Think a tuning chip will be in order for it to remover the flat spot at low end of the revs

• Like 1

Was the oil and filters all changed after the terraclean?

Also was talking to a fella that had similar problem as yours.his was the fuel tank had a load of crap in it and clogging the fuel lines/pump?what/where you buy your fuel?

I haven't changed the oil yet. Will do it in the coming weeks. Fuel filter was changed after it was done. As for the fuel always bought from bp or a good grade fuel if no bp station. Wouldn't use supermarket fuel

The SCV valves can give this issue even without the EML lamp coming on, the valves can become slow to react when required, the only way to see if this is the case would be to plug in the car to a suitable diagnostic computer and watch the Target ( what the engine ECU is demanding ) and Actual ( the rail pressure ) fuel pressures, the two should be almost identical with the Actual closely following the Target if there are any great differences or a lag of more than a second or so then the SCV's are not responding the the engine ECU's demand and a set of modified valve should fix this. The modified valve kit part number is 04221-27012

How long have you owned the car James?

One year now I've owned it and thanks Devon aygo for the info on the scv valves. I have been looking at issues surrounding them but wasn't getting any real info. I have a friend who has a proper diagnostic computer so going to try and get him to check it over

I am assuming you have the 1cd=ftv engine and not the 1ad/2ad-ftv engine..

What you need to do is check the following..

Turbo.

1 - let the car cool down

take the turbo file off, check for splits at the bottom, eg the underside.

making sure car is off and cool, grab the turbo shaft / nipple and roate and listen for roughness.

Check for shaft play, eg back ad forward, side to side. - You will have a little eg 0.5m is normal.

check condition of the fan blades..

Now..

looking from the left hand side of the engine bay look past the bulk head and look for the turbo actuator .

This looks like a rod with a round thing ontop, the bottom of the bar should be connected to a bracket.. move this bracket.. does it move free? or does it stick?

If it sticks your waste gate is sticking causing engine not to make power..

2 - test pump control valves.

search the forums and do the ohm test on the valves. If ohm is ok.. move onto below.

remove the valves, get some injector cleaner a small bag eg sandwich thats sealed and strong.

get some brake cleaner, and a tooth brush. splay the valves and get the grit and grime off (outer)

Put some injector cleaner in the bag, drop one of the control valves inside.. leave to soak for a short while, then leaving the the control valve in the bag, grab the top of the valve and shake! shake.. shake foe a few minutes.

Do the same to the other control valve and reinsert into pump.

DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN the control valve nuts..

I should really charge for this stuff!

• Like 1

You assume right it is the 1cd engine. Thanks for all the info it gives me something to go on now. Just to wait till the engine cools down now

I have always had clutch issues with these cars, I currently have 2 that are running and 1 that is not.

1st-04 very heavy clutch when bought(this was a haggling point)- changed master cylinder made it a bit lighter(from advice)- then started slipping replaced clutch kit and flywheel- an improvement but still has some tightness- now at the moment if it has the blower on it it goes lighter.

2nd car 06- was light as a feather at 80,000 started going heavy at around 120,000, currently on 150,000+ I have a clutch kit (luk) waiting to go in need to get a flywheel first.

3rd, 03 is light as a feather- do not know history of car as bought for spares 160,000 on the clock- 5th gear has gone on it.

who ever I have shown the heavy clutches too, they immediately say its the pressure plate.

There is no definite answer out there for this avensis heavy clutch.

I have a 2006 (56) 2.2 D4D and mine is somewhere in the middle of light and heavy, I would say it is perfect for me, on 103k too I suspect it has been changed, also you are from Durham quite local to me .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Boost control valve/ pressure sensor/ vacuum valve/ boost regulator as I have heard it called today was faulty. After a mechanic had checked the car over and was still puzzled to what was causing the lack of power. The computer was showing no problems. He decided to check the valve and although it looked fine when he took it apart there was a tiny wee bit broke inside. Toyota where looking £261 for the part. Second hand one £20. Hopefully that's the problem sorted.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links