Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ae86 Diff

Treuno

Ok then lads who can tell me what the ratios are for the standard AE86 Diff, early and late models cuz i know they are different due to the size wheels they ran! I have searched everywhere to find the ratios but with no result!

Any info would be appreciated!!! :huh:

4.3 : 1

All the same on OEM LSD equipped AE86's.

That's 43 teeth on your ring and 10 on your pinion.

Of the UK cars, early cars are quicker because they have smaller, lighter wheels and weigh less due to not having a :censor: sunroof, sideskirts and arch mouldings which do nothing but reduce wheel clearance and promote rot.

Not absolutely sure that the ratios are the same, Guglielmo.

I've been thinking about getting a Cusco LSD and there are different part numbers for the different diffs, depending on whether it's an early or post-facelift model. My '87 has the 4.3:1 version, that I'm sure of, just haven't been able to find out what the earlier ratio is.

Not absolutely sure that the ratios are the same, Guglielmo.

I've been thinking about getting a Cusco LSD and there are different part numbers for the different diffs, depending on whether it's an early or post-facelift model. My '87 has the 4.3:1 version, that I'm sure of, just haven't been able to find out what the earlier ratio is.

Yeah thats because the early and late cars have slightly differant half/drive shafts. An early LSD wont fit late drive shafts and vice-versa. You can usually choose what final drive you want on your aftermarket LSD, but the standard ratio is 4.3:1 on them all. My LSD runs a 4.777:1 final drive, but again the part number isnt differant you just specify the gear.

If you wanna know how to identify the differant drive shafts from visual inspection only, let me know. :)

Paz

Nice one lads thanks for the info! Reason i ask is because im going for a TRD gear set and i want to work out what i will be pulling through the gears!

Thanks again!

The OEM part numbers for the different ratios are different. I got 'em if anyone needs 'em. They will only list the 4.3 set for the AE86 LSD, but any T-series (6.7") ring and pinion will work.

Like Paz says, the later halfshafts are slightly larger and slightly stronger and incompatible with earlier diffs but OK with the axle case....

Trueno - a TRD ge****t eh? They're BIG money aren't they? Where are you getting that from? Very very nice on a revvy NA 4AGE.

Well i definatly need a more heavy duty g/box so my initial idea was to go for quaife! But they only do a dog box for the AE86 which i dont want especially cuz the price is £3200 +vat and you also have to modify the g/box casing! :o

So i investigated other makes and TRD do the complete gear cluster inc. syncros etc for a grand, and are almost identical to the quaife ratios!

Very very nice on a revvy NA 4AGE.

Even nicer on a 20valve lump! :D

Oh yeah and i can either get the parts direct from TRD in Japan or go through Fensport! I think that price is plus VAT! But it will be well worth it i think! ;)

Trueno - I think you'll find the TRD set is no stronger than the OEM, just different ratios. If you're after a more "heavy duty" gearbox, fit a W-series from a Supra with the A to W bellhousing widely available.

If you're going with a 20v lump, don't worry about gearbox strength...that engine couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding in terms of torque (which kills transmissions), so the T50 will be fine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links