Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is The Hybrid Actually Worth Over The Petrol?

itaa

Lets be honest most of us dont care how green our cars are as long as they are cheap to run but started to do calculations whatever its even worth the premium u pay for hybrid over the regular petrol, even tho it gets soo much better mpg on paper. Im after the Estate Version.

The cheapest hybrid estate is ~14.500 ,while petrol 10,500 in used market for same year/milage.

I calculated that the hybrid if the mpg figures are correct is about 3gbp per 100km cheaper to run than the petrol, so would take 133km /82k miles to break-even since there is 4k price difference on purchase price. By the time Im done doing the 133km it would be about 5years from now by which the value of the car would be super low anyway and it would be more or less identical on total money spent for the petrol/hybrid..

Any thoughts on this? I really wanted the Hybrid because of the fuel consumption, but seems like its not worth it? I'm not looking at diesel as such because of the regular diesel stuff that comes with it.

Also what is the real MPG you get on your Hybrid/ Regular Petrol Auris estates for those who have either one?

now that I think again I could just as well buy 2009-2010 year Avensis for 4500 and spend another 500 to lpg convert it and now The 5k avensis would get exactly the same Fuel Costs as the 14,500 Auris Hybrid.

5k vs 14.5k for 2years newer car? I think the choice is obvious and I wont loose almost 10grand after the 2-3years in depreciation with already much cheaper avensis when the auris becomes older and will probably cost the same 5k the 2-3year older avensis costs now.

Anyway whats the real MPG you get on your Hybrid/ Regular Petrol Auris estates for those who have either one?

Really one needs to compare the automatic petrol with the hybrid, as the hybrid drivetrain includes an e-cvt. Then the comparisons are different - higher value of an automatic petrol narrows the price gap between the auto petrol and the hybrid, the auto petrol will also have heavier fuel consumption (the auto petrol is only on the 1.6), etc. All of which paints a different picture of break even points, and so on.

no you really don't need to compare it that way :D I would choose manual over automatic all day everyday, but auto would make-do in the hybrid since you don't have a choice.

Why would you not entertain an automatic transmission? Modern autos allow you to change gear manually with either the gearstick or flappy paddles on the column. they all have kickdowns and most have sports settings for better acceleration from rest. They're all pretty reliable, there's nothing like a DMF to worry about and, according to official figures anyway, my Auris CVT is actually more economical than a manual.

Because autos are for old people and americans!!! :lol: :P

Cyker you might well be a poster of some integrity but you might equally well be a congenital idiot. Auto boxes don't appeal to Luddites but neither did power looms. I don't think you're even ready for a CVT box, you'd probably think the flappy paddles were for your stereo.

Exactly! It gets damn boring when you don't have a stick to ***** all the time and you can't just control the car as much as you can with manual stick, also good luck driving on serpentines with auto when you don't have an engine to break with but have to trust your brakes only.

Mod edit: offensive remark removed.

or people who live in cities with lots of stop, start traffic ...

• Like 1

Relaaaax! I am mostly joking ofc :lol:

I do wonder if some of you are browsing in lynx or something and can't see the smileys sometimes :lol:

smileys? no, I get this forum sent to my tablet in Cuniform mate. you'll be old and crotchety some day yourself and it ain't no place for sissies.

post-140480-0-86206100-1437508129.gif

Yes I am old and really miserable (hence my name).

I hope you never win the lottery and try to buy a supercar.

They have all moved away from manual gearboxes,Aston,AMG,Ferrari,Lambo to name a few.

In fact the general talk is that within a few years the manual box will be dead and buried.

I use the flappy paddles a lot (yes I get engine braking (correct spelling) ).

Trying to wiggle a stick about while pressing a pedal is slow and really antiquated.

Also modern boxes give better economy than their manual counterparts.

Many years ago someone put a Spitfire engine (27 litres) in a car body to use on the road.

He tried all sorts of gear boxes and clutches but nothing could handle the sheer TORQUE.

The answer was a Borg Warner automatic gearbox,it handled the power with no problem.

Sorry but the manual gearbox will soon take its rightful place in a museum :-))

• Like 1

I have a 7 month old auris hybrid and have done less than 5000 miles and is automatic I am now getting over 75 mph so I definitely think a hybrid is worth having

Hi Daniel and welcome to the board. Glad you like your Toyota hybrid but, erm, should that be 75 MPG?

• Like 1

I have a 7 month old auris hybrid and have done less than 5000 miles and is automatic I am now getting over 75 mph so I definitely think a hybrid is worth having

Hope that is not around town ...

No that's a mixture of bypass city and rural journeys my last car was Yaris 1.4 auto on a 59 reg and for the same journeys as I do at the moment I only got 44 m p g so I am well pleased

Daniel,

I think you missed the typo you made, and the fact that Tom and Mike made a remark about it!

MPG instead of MPH. :oops:

I think we all get it anyway. :thumbsup:

Konrad

I think the OP's point is that the increased fuel economy might not offset the extra purchase price of a hybrid. Dan mac's posts perhaps illustrate his point...

Dan mac says his new hybrid has covered 5000 miles over 7 months and he gets 75 mpg. Assuming £6 per gallon I calculate that to be £400 on fuel, or £685 for the full year.

With his previous car he'd have travelled the same 5000 miles but at 44 mpg. I calculate that to be £681 on fuel, or £1167 for the full year.

That's under £500 saving per year.

How many years of saving £500 does it take to make up the difference in purchase price between a regular petrol and a hybrid? Obviously there are other factors to take into account ie if you were doing double Dan mac's mileage you'd obviously save more, and you'd need to take residual resale values into account, along with any differences in servicing costs etc ad applicable.

no you really don't need to compare it that way :D I would choose manual over automatic all day everyday, but auto would make-do in the hybrid since you don't have a choice.

Once upon a time, I would too! But this is old story! I have always wanted to be "in control"! To be able to decide in which gear my car's running and everything... With Auris 2015 Facelift, it's a whole new story! I am driving an "automatic" and loving it!!! It is absolutely perfect, immaculate and irreplaceable in city traffic and on long journeys. Also only a person, who has never driven a hybrid, could compare it to an old Avensis with LPG. :euro:

It's like I am reading my own thoughts... until this year, when I drove the Auris HSD.

Regarding the mileage, I got a 4.3/100 km on country roads which translates to 66 MPG and about half a liter more in city and it is still a brand new engine. Once you break it in, mileage will improve.

the ''old'' 6years old avensis costs 3x less and has the same running costs...Its not about comparing hybrid to lpg as I would obviously choose the hybrid IF they were to cost the same.

3 times cheaper and 5 times less comfy! :bangin: Leave alone warranty,tax and all! And YES! 6-years old is in fact old and much less reliable!

Always thought that avensis are actually class above auris and in fact should be even more comfy? mate have you been brainwashed in thinking that always new cars are better and as soon as they turn few years old they are crap? 5years for car is practicly brand-new state ,specially for japanese. If you are one of those people who think they will save so much on tax/fuel costs just because the tax might be 100quid cheaper and mpg is a bit better as well than you need a reality check,ding ding ding you are buying a brand new car where depreciation will eat all your profit in much much much faster rate than you can save versus used car where someone else has taken the huge hit already.

Don't get me wrong I would like to have the Auris hence I made this thread,however the more I think on my budget it financially doesn't makes sense.

Always thought that avensis are actually class above auris and in fact should be even more comfy?

I think he referred to the powerline, cvt vs hybrid conversation.

The Avensis is pretty comfortable car, not that the Auris is not, well the first gen is pretty rough, but the second is good enough. I'm talking about the ride and sound insulation. I do not think that you bought a brand new car for tax savings. It's for the fun, the mind that it's yours from day one, the techno stuff, and yes safety. But in a few years you can get the same thing for at least 1/3 off the initial price, second hand yes, but still in warranty and in good condition (Our first gen Auris was bought for 60% of its initial value with 3,5 years warranty left, and less than 15K Miles on the clock, as it was a test car).

As the Hybrid is a city car in general and it should be classified as a busy city car, auto is a must. So this should be one of the factors considering hybrid and no hybrid. I too want to feel the shifts and the clutch but man if it was up to me my next car will not have a manual gearbox. And having this in mind the diff between the hybrid and a 1.6 with the CVT is ... well 500-1000Euro depending on the specs. In the UK is more like towards 2000Euro, but with the tax savings, and other benefits it's still good value. For reference the new 1,2 turbo petrol with CVT costs exactly the same as the hybrid in top spec. Having this in mind Hybrid it is. How else will you explain more than 50% Auris HSD sold in Europe out of all.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links