Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Running Boards/side Steps

Cool Hand Luke

I know this has been discussed before, but (after searching) last thread is Jan 2014 and never ended up really being answered, so apologies for re-raising this query.

I've had my Rav 4 XTR 2008 for about 4 weeks and loving it (wish I had got one years ago); anyhow I fancy tarting it up a bit so I'm thinking side steps (aka running boards etc) and maybe a bull (nudge) bar; legal one obviously.

Looks like Parts King is the guy to contact; and most threads seem to suggest original Toyota running boards.

Question 1 - how easy are they to fit; tools needed (ramp? pit?) and roughly how long to fit?

- I'm not a mechanic, but I can do most basic jobs on a car.

Question 2 - I know its personal taste but do most people think the OEM ones look better than other alternatives?

Any comments appreciated (decent ones please)

1. Not completely sure about time but the holes are all there in the chassis and pre-threaded. I think Mr. T allows an hour when fitting in a fully equipped workshop and by people who have done it before. Therefore it should be a comfortable afternoon's pastime for you. I wouldn't say that a ramp is necessary but if you get each side up on axle stands it will give you more room. More room = easier fitting. They come with very clear fitting instructions.

2. I've had the standard OEMs on all of 4 of our RAVs - 4.2s and 4.3s - (plus OEM rock bars standard on our Granite 4.2) and cannot recommend them highly enough. They are well-made, durable, strong (you can stand on them without fear of bending anything - useful when fitting/loading roof racks, waxing roof, etc) with an excellent finish. Watch out for the later OEM's (unique to the 4.3) however - the ones with treads that look like dots - there have been reports that they develop a spotty tarnish after a while. The traditional-style ones never do.

If you go for after-market steps, be very careful as many of them are complete excrement.

Also be aware the side steps previously mentioned by Firemac -" the ones with treads that look like dots" mudflaps (if your fitting or already got them fitted) can only be fitted to rear as the side steps are longer however if fitting the origanal boards mudflaps can be fitted to front and rear, I've had these fitted for some time- "the ones with treads that look like dots " they are sturdy enough great when cleaning the roof however are labour intensive for cleaning , tarnish and marks as well as the hint of green moss , but well worth it set the car of

thanks Mc T, noted.

Sounds like it'll be the OEM non dotted ones then.

Now I just need to get some prices

Also be aware the side steps previously mentioned by Firemac -" the ones with treads that look like dots" mudflaps (if your fitting or already got them fitted) can only be fitted to rear as the side steps are longer however if fitting the origanal boards mudflaps can be fitted to front and rear, I've had these fitted for some time- "the ones with treads that look like dots " they are sturdy enough great when cleaning the roof however are labour intensive for cleaning , tarnish and marks as well as the hint of green moss , but well worth it set the car of

You're right about the front mudflaps problem with the later side steps. However, the fronts can be fitted once they are fettled with a Dremel or similar. Some members on here have done so.

Nevertheless the issue with the finish on these later items is the big problem and therefore I'd always go for the original design.

Hi there, when I bought my Rav 2010 SR automatic nearly five years ago I had the OEM steps fitted by my Toyota garage also mud flaps front and rear. These steps were the dotted ones, and did tarnish after about nine months. Later on I read in this forum (about four years ago) that this was due to a manufacturing fault,and if you took it to your Toyota dealer you would have new ones fitted free of charge. I did this, showing the Toyota dealer this reply which I had taken a photograph with my camera of the statement on my laptop from the Toyota forum. The reception chap took my photograph away behind the scenes, presumably to his manager and I was booked in for the following week to have new steps fitted to my car. That was four years ago and the stipulation with the new steps fitted was to wash them at least once a month with soapy water and rinse them down,post-77631-0-34173800-1439295604_thumb.jpost-77631-0-34173800-1439295604_thumb.j and they still look today as good as new. Hope this helps and no doubt that Parts King can verify this. Jock

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links