Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Intermediate Shaft Problems

chi tang

I own a 2010 Prius with 60k on the clock. Fully serviced by Toyota.

My car is with Mr T for a full service and had a call this afternoon to advise me I need a new rear side wheel bearing, new intermediate shaft and steering column. Service charge inc total bill just shy of £2700

Im not happy with this because at 36k I had new steering brackets under warranty.

At 40k I had a new drive shaft fitted under warranty.

Now they say Im on my own and I wondered if anyone can suggest me a way to have bill reduced or even a contribution or at best a good will repair for at least the steering issues?

Presumably the car was first registered before June 2010 and only had the three year/60,000 mile warranty.

Try approaching Toyota GB and asking about a goodwill contribution - be polite.

Hello Frosty balls,

Yes the car was registered early 2010 and only had the 3 year warranty.

Toyota GB was very chilled about it and told me to speak to the technical manger of the service center. The service center advised they could not help so I opened a case with toyota customer relation and will hear from them in a few days.

Keep us updated. Fingers crossed for you. My question is how and why they've failed? I assume you were none the wiser to this until being informed?

Keep us updated. Fingers crossed for you. My question is how and why they've failed? I assume you were none the wiser to this until being informed?

I asked them to investigate a knocking noise I noticed when I turn the steering wheel and they came to the conclusion i needed a new intermediate shaft and steering column.

It's not at clicking noise when turning on full lock is it?

yes it is, alot more evident when I turn left. Problem used to be only on full lock but now its worsened and happens even when i turn left on the road under normal driving conditions.

It's not at clicking noise when turning on full lock is it?

yes it is, alot more evident when I turn left. Problem used to be only on full lock but now its worsened and happens even when i turn left on the road under normal driving conditions.

I'd get a second opinion, sounds like a simple case of a failed CV joint, which should be replaceable without needing new drive shafts etc.

I had a problem with this on my Prius. I believe there's some weak spot on the easrlier gen3 t3 (not the t4 or t-spirit) and I had my steering column replaced twice! at roughly 30k mile intervals, both under warranty. I believe this 'issue' was updated on later gen3's.

The OP could try and appeal to Toyotas kind nature if they're out of warranty, though if they're only just a couple hundred miles over they may be ok, otherwise they'll need to have purchased the car new and had it religiously serviced by a Toyota dealer. I had my inverter replaced out of warranty at 70k miles (on the 60k mile warranty) because I had done both. Many main dealers will price match for servicing (within reason), but if you've gone elsewhere for servicing to save a couple o' quid, then chances are they draw the warranty line at 60k.

Good luck.

Seems mighty wasteful (and expensive!) to replace the lot when it is probably just a bush that's gone! Pursue Toyota first, but if the end result is a "no", then take it to an independent, tell them the problem and ask how much to replace the part in question. I'll bet it is a lot cheaper than £2700!!!

appreciate all the advice guys, customer relations has asked the technician to explain why the parts need changing and also what is the cause if any. Once they have the info they will make a decision.

Had a call from Toyota earlier and I have to say I am VERY pleased with the way they dealt with my case.

I actually felt Customer relations was on my side and they challenged the dealer about why they thought the repair was necessary and the cause of the problem. Even after the dealer said it was due to my driving style and normal wear and tear customer relations challenged them again and again and eventually the dealer and customer relations agreed to contribute £800 towards the repair.

So, I have decided to use a local garage to change a wheel bearing which will cost me £260 - I will have the car realigned afterwards for £35. This is still a huge saving from the Toyota quote of £979.

Best case scenario for me is upon stripping the car I might just need a intermediate shaft. If this is the case the £800 contribution will pay for the whole repair.

Worst case scenario is I need a new steering column as well which I will have to pay for myself which will cost £800 and Toyota £800 contribution will cover the labour to fit the intermediate shaft and steering column.

Im a happy bunny :)

Thanks everyone for the advice, I am really pleased with the outcome.

Customer Relation case number 420413

• Like 1

Update

Mr T called me back and offered to do the wheel bearing for £400 so I gave them the thumbs up.

Still alot of dough but peace of mind knowing the work is done by a pro rather than an avg mechanic.

Work carried out full service, intermediate shaft, steering column and wheel bearing plus labor £1490 which is a saving of £1210.

Thank you Toyota :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links