Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rev3 Turbo Vs Lotus Elise

RowMR2turbo

my rev2 feels planted all the way to 140ish, i think the aerodynamics 'feel' like they come into play at 115 ish as it settles and feels really stuck to the road over that speed.

Elise isn't that quick at all in a straight at speed, up to 60 they are good, but my mate had the new shape one and sold it after 3 months for an audi S3 as he kept getting really ****** off as the barrys in VTS saxos could sit on his bumper over 70 mph

I've done 150 on a track and I have to say it is frightening, the car gets very light and twitchy at those kind of speeds.

Not on the motorway it doesn't!... as long as you stay out of lane 1 and 2 where the lorries leave their ruts! ;)

My rev5 was a complete knightmare for tramling, it was one of the reasons I sold it in the end - it just never felt safe no matter how much cash I spent on it.

The tubby seems far better even on 18's on mega low adjustable Cusco suspension, it's just a bit bumpy which can be unnerving to say the least espeically when you get into 3 figures!

:blink:

i never had any problems as yet at speed... Car feels really solid.. and gives me confidence in her...

On a side note.. i teased with an S3 today.. and then just killed him.. :lol:

I then slowed down for him to pass and he looked over and started to smile and nod his head.. :P

Man.. the feeling of the open air with the T-bars off when the turbo kicks in is just awesome! :wub:

I had a race with motorbike and was doing 140 mph in a standard rev 2 n/a down the m58 towards liverpool, at 1am! :o was scary!!

My n/a going in for custom s/s exhaust with 5" slashed tailpipe and k&n inuction kit on wednesday B) Only costing £280 for exhaust from www.urban-racing.com in warrington :P

Fastest I have been (while I was drivin) was a touch over 200kph (115mph approx) and this was in a AE92 Levin GTZ. It handled it pretty well, wasn't floating at all. Not such a smart move though at dusk when the light is less than perfect. God bless the straight roads around home. I haven't had the guts to wind the GT4 up that high. It doesn't seem to like revving like the 4A-GZE and 4WD is not designed for top end.

I had a race with motorbike and was doing 140 mph in a standard rev 2 n/a down the m58 towards liverpool, at 1am! :o was scary!!

i have a tubby running 1 bar boost with exhaust, decat, fcd, filter, and 18s.

i also own an 03 yamaha R1 and i've owned a 636 ninja. the tubby doesn't stand a chance against any sports bike. my R1 does 0-100 in 5 secs and tops out at 175mph real speed (it reads lots higher than that on the clock).

if u even got the opportunity to race the bike then he was just toying with you. the bike will ****** off into the distance if he was trying.

lol ok calm down mate i forgot to add it was pitch black as the thier was no lights on motorway and was a slight bend when we was racing, he was prob too scared to go in front at that speed and used the lights from my car to see :P

PS have you saw the topgear where the porshe C4 driven by Jason Plato races the R1 driven by Neil Mckenzie on the track and wins B) its class when JC says "im not going to ride the bike as im a hetrosexual" hehe and at the end says " now bikers everwhere can shut up! :lol:

Speed sensitive power steering comes in very nicely at high speeds. The car starts to feel really solid... apparently.  :P

never knew '2's had these?? or am i being dumb...?

And on a side note.. my car is pretty solid at 145/150 but thats in a straight line of course.. ;)

aye it is speed sensitive steering but therin lies the problem cos when the tubbies are imported into the uk they of course get a speedo conversion to mph. Now normally the power steering system disables any assist after about 80 km/h (50mph), however when the speedo system is converted to mph, a side-effect is that the power steering assist is active all the way up to 80 mph! which is why some people find the car "drifty" at that speed.

Having said that, yesterday the car felt really solid. It was literally stuck to the ground after about 110mph even on the bendy and hilly M1 stretch which I was on.

I say keep the boost as it is - you wouldn't have had nearly as much fun/adrenaline if you had annhialated the elise

You would cause you can ease off and then boot it to pull away again .. and you have to do this, cause on the corners with an Elise - it'll kill you ..

165 is the max speed, as it read lines in 5th .. and yes, I have proven this ..

The way to get rid of the twitchyness of the car is to change the shocks and stiffen the car up ..

if u even got the opportunity to race the bike then he was just toying with you. the bike will ****** off into the distance if he was trying.

Bloke at work has a Fazer 500 (I think) .. and we had a try .. I was running .95 bar and was at 100% .. he was at 90% keeping up .. only when I got to 6k rpm in 5th could I edge away ..

Mine wont do over 119 as the limiters still in (got 119 on a rolling road hance knowing this!)

Does anyone find the MR2 a tad suseptable to wind......? mine seems to get attacked by cross winds on motorways quite badly, possibly cos they are relatively light?

One think i have learnt, NEVER EVER try high speeds with the sleepy eyes up!! they act like an aerofoil, just ends up lifting the front of the car up! :wacko:

:ph34r: The most i've had out of my N/A is 131 mph (according to the clock) and it felt fine, didn't feel scared at all, it would have gone faster but then i thought i was going a little fast and i don't want to loose my licence so i slowed down :wacko:

Mine wont do over 119 as the limiters still in (got 119 on a rolling road hance knowing this!)

howd you know when the limiter kicks in btw? i dunno if mines been removed but it did feel like i could pull much further than 120 yesterday. wouldve done except it started misfiring cos i started running out of petrol...only just made it back to the petrol station...jermey clarkson and audi stylee lol

also is full boost avaialable in 5th? mine stopped halfway but this couldve been due to the misfiring above n the ecu havin a go at me

Imagine dropping you foot off the throttle repetadly at 119MPH......thats what it does :D smoke all kinds of things :lol: had it happena few times on the M'way whilst chasing things.... thought i was goona die :blink: takes you by complete surprise and feels like your engines about to jump ship!!!!

Seeing it on the rollers doing it it was pulsing large amounts of fuel out of the exhaust..... much to the distress of those stoob behind it :rolleyes:

as a mr2 turbo owner myself all i can say is mr2 turbo can hold is own agains any supercars and i can comfirm i seen 160mph on my mr2 did it in my garden :P

i had a play with one of my best friends rx7(typeR) tt mod to(around 350+bhp) 0-100mph he was in front by no more than 2 cars but after that the rx7 will disappear slowerly :D

also had a play with s2000 once totaly put the guy in shame for trying :P but it still a nice looking car :thumbsup:

is good to play but having a real race on the road is dangerous to yourself and others

had a class race last night in my '91 G-limited N/A - raced a new BMW 330d Coupe - and they are a rapid, torque-y motor.... absolutely annihilated it - thought my car was still limited, but was talkin to the driver after the race and she( :o ) said she couldn't keep up and she was trying her hardest!

i was so so pleased, and when she told me at one stage her clocks were reading 120+ and i was still pulling, i couldn't believe it!

(oh, and mods, i am in the process of making my sig smaller!)

None of us can condone road racing, but it is so much fun.

My personal fave (when I get my Tubby in a month) will be killing the 40-50K + cars who think they rule the roost.

My quickest - performed on private roads of course, was 140mph indicated in my old Calibra Turbo... I lifted off as I was sh1tting myself, but the car was still pulling!

Bring on the turbo!

i just wanna do a bibbs and anniahlate the boxters & TT's, too many of them round here acting like :censor:'s.

Saying that tho a couple of weeks back i managed to destroy a TT but only cos there were a lot of twisties.

N/A + twisties = :D, & a victory against pretty much ne-thing!

-Z

My friends 2003 S2 elise tops out at 122mph it really struggles at this point. They are more 0-80ish machines in str8 line. Thier 4th/5th are pretty weak (hey its a 1.8 eh!) They cannot beat a tubby for sheer brute power....even a bone stock one. I know this as we raced constantly when I bought my tubby(stock) and he had stage 1 mods too and it couldnt win even in standing start drag races.

BUT as mentioned earlier the elise would cane a tubby on twistys. He once got a 135R Elise with semi slicks as a courtesy car and we hit country roads and caned it big time. To this day it was the best car ive driven on backroads...much better than my tubby it was a pure race car.

Maybe it was due to the fact we were both driving it like it was stolen...as you do with courtesy cars... :lol:

Ahhh....I can still remember the full throttle gear changes and engine brake downshifts...hehe... :yes:

Hm Im surprised not many people have hit 160+. Its really not scary it happens so quick your there b4 you know it.

Disclaimer : I do not condone streetracing. I do not condone breaking the speed limit. I always keep both hands on the steering wheel. I always wear my seatbelt and I always wear protection even if she tells me shes on the pill. Boy scouts honour.

I always wear protection even if she tells me shes on the pill. Boy scouts honour.

Well as long as ur safe bud! :D

-Z

hence the reason i covered myself by sayin "pretty much" ;)

dont think i'd stand a chance if the elise could hold its own against a rev3 tubby!

-Z

My brother's mate bought an Elise thinking he'd be quicker than my Rev3 tubby. WRONG. Proven. :ph34r:

He's now selling, and is putting in ridiculous offers for my car!

Deus MR2

also is full boost avaialable in 5th?

My was still holding 1bar boost at 162mph (indicated) at the red line in 5th. I DON'T CONDONE RACING ON THE QUEEN'S HIGHWAY. It all depends on what the condition of your turbo is, and so on and so forth.

Did it one early morning on the M1. 2am in the slow lane pootling with the lorries and a red Rev2 NA pulls up besides me and nods... and then tears off... I DON'T CONDONE RACING ON THE QUEEN'S HIGHWAY.so I chase and we just play in and out of the lorries (in a non-!Removed! way :huh: )... went passed him one last time when I got bored and noticed I was already doing 140mph... so thought I'd carry on. I DON'T CONDONE RACING ON THE QUEEN'S HIGHWAY. It went all the way to just over 160mph. I knew I shouldn't be doing them speeds... but I thought if I got caught at 140mph I'd lost my license anyway... I DON'T CONDONE RACING ON THE QUEEN'S HIGHWAY.... so I thought at least if I got caught at 160mph the papers might show the MR2 as the quick car it is!!! I DON'T CONDONE RACING ON THE QUEEN'S HIGHWAY. I DON'T CONDONE RACING ON THE QUEEN'S HIGHWAY. I DON'T CONDONE RACING ON THE QUEEN'S HIGHWAY. I DON'T CONDONE RACING ON THE QUEEN'S HIGHWAY. :P

Won't be doing it again... :thumbsup:

So you saying it's okay to race then .. ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links