Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rev3 Turbo Vs Lotus Elise

RowMR2turbo

In 6 months of owning a turbo model I've only had one traffic light grand prix but today I had a full on 6 mile race with an R' plate Elise.

On the approach to a roundabout nearby to my home, I spied a black Elise looming in the rear view mirror.

Watching him come round the roundabout it's clear he's wanting to play as he's really pushing hard - almost sideways!

We both nail it down a 1.5 mile empty duel carriageway me in the inside lane him rather optimistically in the outside lane.

Now bare in mind I'm running just 0.90 kg/cm2 boost (I've never played or understood properly the HKS EBC) I held him off all the way to 130mph.

Onto another roundabout and I thought I'd tease a little and leave it in second gear and wait for him to overtake, or *try*.

Neck and neck with another 1.5 miles of open duel carriageway ahead and we are off...

The Elise driver is at 10/10ths and so am I, but yet again I had the faster car and he tucked in behind grinning!

Round the roundabout and we do it all over again back the other way, lol

Same result, in the end I turned off to him giving a hoot, a flash and a wave which was pleasant, good etiquette!

The Elise impressed me for what it is - time for more boost methinketh'

bravo,

I say keep the boost as it is - you wouldn't have had nearly as much fun/adrenaline if you had annhialated the elise :)

I like how you open with " I don't condone street racing " ... lol. Scared of getting yelled at ?..

Anyway, I've also had a few plays with the Elise. No competition as far as I've seen. Unless the driver wasn't giving 100%.

130MPH in a MR2 ?? I'd be too scared to go that fast in the thing... lol

If I spy a car such as an Elise and see they want to play, I will do. But if it gets to silly speeds like that, I generally back off.

bravo,

I say keep the boost as it is - you wouldn't have had nearly as much fun/adrenaline if you had annhialated the elise :)

No !....

up the boost... have more fun !!!

I can't wait to get my car back and wear my clutch in so I can have "BOOST FUN" again !!! :D

To be completely honest I never drive at three figures unless on a track, I don't bite when the Barry boys want to play in their Saxo's etc.

This said the roads were completely clear and conditions in my opinion could not have been better / safer.

I didn't initially think that I'd have to wind it up to this speed to stay in front - I thought they top out at 120'ish?

I'll get my Hyper de-cat fitted and find out how to increase the boost then the Elise will be history..!

:D

you'll probably find some people jumping dwn your throat for those speeds mate.

( I'm not getting at you bud, just warning you in advance ;) )

thought the elise was a 1.8? wouldve thought it maxes out at about 120mph too! goes to show how well its been engineered really, good job with keeping up with it! now time for more boost and moooore power :ph34r:

Y good job with keeping up with it ?

I've easily pooped all over these before. Are they supposed to be quick ?

Jimlad what is the fastest your MR2 can go,

and what speeds have you done.

Me is curious :P

Y good job with keeping up with it ?

I've easily pooped all over these before. Are they supposed to be quick ?

they are pretty quick machines mate... and on a track they would kill a tubby...One of the best handling cars on the market... :thumbsup:

Elise Stats

Jimlad what is the fastest your MR2 can go,

and what speeds have you done.

Me is curious :P

If he has standard gearing then it would be limited to around 160mph me thinks...

Mr elise was built as a track car.... they do top out somewhere around 120-130, so in a streight line most perofrmance cars will out run them.... on a twisty track they will run rings around most things..... different tools for different jobs B)

And considering they have a smaller engine than my NA, keeping up with a tubbys not a bad effort!! :blink:

Am I right in assuming his car is anything but standard (no offence there Jimlad :ph34r:) so in theory it could go faster than 160mph????

Am I right in assuming his car is anything but standard (no offence there Jimlad :ph34r:) so in theory it could go faster than 160mph????

i know it aint standard ... but i dont think as far as im aware that there has been any gearing changes made... and so the car will still have the same top end speed as a stock MR2 Turbo..

Only difference is that he will get there a hell of a lot faster and in more style that a stock one.. :yes:

Fizz mate, what speeds could you go i your Celi :ph34r: ????

135...max...

Thats more or less the kind of speeds I have been getting, not to sure though coz the needle goes of the dial. :lol:

The most I can get out of my MR2 at the moment is 160MPH. It's all down to the gearing etc. Fair enough I could have a mad 450BHP monster, I would simply just get to 160MPH alot sooner.

The fastest I've been in this is 115mph... too scared to push it anymore.. lol

I could get a 6 speed box put in etc.. that should get me over 160mph ( I think ? )

The fastest I've been in this is 115mph... too scared to push it anymore.. lol

you serious... with a car like that! :eek: :!Removed!:

yeah... is scary... lol

Knowing my luck I would end up getting pulled !!!

Then I would be well :censor: off !! :ffs:

I did get upto 125mph in my megane coupe. Was farting about with a boy racer on the M8.

just been a mini motorway trip with my gf and did 120 on the M1! only on the straight bits mind, didnt feel my tyre pressures/gemotery were fine tuned enough to take it further...plus she was about to pee herself and i dont want wet seats ta very much :ph34r: Once i get some new alloys, tyres and a full alignment im off to an airfield to see what these babies can do!

also did donuts and a bit of drifiting in an empty tescos car park...dammit i love my car lol :hokus-pokus:

Speed sensitive power steering comes in very nicely at high speeds. The car starts to feel really solid... apparently. :P

You really wouldn't want to do more than 160mph in an MR2. I've done 150 on a track and I have to say it is frightening, the car gets very light and twitchy at those kind of speeds.

Speed sensitive power steering comes in very nicely at high speeds. The car starts to feel really solid... apparently. :P

never knew '2's had these?? or am i being dumb...?

And on a side note.. my car is pretty solid at 145/150 but thats in a straight line of course.. ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links