Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2003 (mk1) Indicator Lens Replacement.

A.M Bellingham

Hi all. Apologies in advance if this has been covered; I searched and couldn't find my model.

Anyway... I've managed to break the passenger side indicator corner lens. I've found a replacement online and I'd like to have a go at replacing it myself. It is testimony to the car that I haven't dabbled much with motoring DIY in my 12 year ownership of this car. Can someone give me a walk-through of replacing it please.

Beside the headlight in the engine bay I see an aperture with access to a hex screw and I was hoping this would facilitate the removal of the broken lens. On a Youtube video of a later model the guy gets under the bumper for access to some screws then drops the bumper. Is this needed on my model?

It is an easy job, when you know how. With the bonnet up, you will see a gap or hole behind the headlight and indicator. Using a long flat blade screwdriver insert into that hole, and depress the retaining catch whilst pulling the indicator unit away from the body. Once released from the body, the bulb holder(bayonet fit) is a twist and pull.

Before you start, look at the replacement indicator to see the retaining clip at the rear of the unit. This gives you an idea what to expect.

No bumper removal needed. The Mk1 is very straight forward and there is the Haynes manual which covered the Mk1 petrols (not the diesel engine).

Oh yes Alan,

Welcome to the forum for your first query.

Konrad

Hi all. Apologies in advance if this has been covered; I searched and couldn't find my model.

Anyway... I've managed to break the passenger side indicator corner lens. I've found a replacement online and I'd like to have a go at replacing it myself. It is testimony to the car that I haven't dabbled much with motoring DIY in my 12 year ownership of this car. Can someone give me a walk-through of replacing it please.

Beside the headlight in the engine bay I see an aperture with access to a hex screw and I was hoping this would facilitate the removal of the broken lens. On a Youtube video of a later model the guy gets under the bumper for access to some screws then drops the bumper. Is this needed on my model?

Hi Alan, I have a replacement indicator in the garage, I am unsure what side it is I can check if its passenger side, it is fully working, I can do it for £10 posted within uk mainland to help a fellow member.

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies and the welcome. I'll have a go this weekend hopefully and avensisd4d786, thank you for the offer, I appreciate it but I've already ordered the part.

Adding to my earlier reply, I have added photos to show how the indicator is removed.

The first few pictutres show the location just behind the lights, from the top to push the screw driver through.

post-76861-0-90711700-1444896516_thumb.jpost-76861-0-31426300-1444896535_thumb.jpost-76861-0-31649900-1444896558_thumb.j

The next set of photos show when pressing down on the retaining clip to release the lens, whilst pulling forward. Notice the retaining clip in the last two.

post-76861-0-72300200-1444896579_thumb.jpost-76861-0-45027300-1444896599_thumb.jpost-76861-0-80911500-1444896612_thumb.j

Now you can see what to look for, and what is required to remove the indicator lens. This should take no more than a few minutes to change the lens.

• Like 2

Great stuff Konrad, thanks a lot. I had a glance yesterday before posting here and seen that hex-head and thought that had to come out, then as I said I thought it was starting to look a bit complicated thinking about dropping bumpers. :ermm: However that sounds and looks like a nice handy one for Saturday. Thank you again. :)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links