Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Does Override Switch (on/off) For 4x4 Operation?

Dear Club Members,

I would like to thank every one of you who have contributed towards the questions that I had, encouraged me about buying a LUCIDA.

Finally I am a Lucida owner therefore my membership is official and real from now on.

I have few questions regarding my 1995 Lucida and I would be grateful if you could answer any of the questions below.

1. I have a sticker of 4x4 on my back screen. How can I know that this is a 4x4 Lucida? Does override switch (on/off) for 4x4 operation? If not what is it for?

2. On the automatic switch when do you use L and how often you use selection 2. Is goes L, 2, D, N, R, P.

3. I came from London which is about 200 km and £20 diesel was not enough. Fuel light came on and off number off times even though the fuel gauge was still showing some diesel. So I had to put another £5 expensive motorway diesel. How far can you drive after seeing the first fuel light? Is this normal fuel consumption for these cars? Is it not expensive to run? There are many things said about fuel consumption but are there any practical ways to improve it?

4. I have electric curtains but not functioning properly. What should I do? Give it a good clean and grease?

5. Sliding door makes scratchy noise. It stops if it is pushed while closing. Is it normal? If not what should I do?

6. Can you travel vithout DVLA document in Europe? Is there any way to speed up to receive registration document which I just received today?

I know I usually write long but hey it is my first Lucida thank to you. I am a bit excited and carried away naturally.

I look forward to hearing from you very soon because I am planning to travel to Turkey via France, Germany, Austria, Italy…!

Dr Kök

Item 2. I haven't had occasion to use L yet. (this is equivalent to 1st gear). It won't change up.....use going up, or coming back down steep hills.

Selection 2 will stop the auto box changing up past 2nd gear., so you have 1st and 2nd... again use for control on hills or for increased time in second gear in a traffic light sprint...then just slide into D.

Item 4. Yeah, clean and grease can do wonders.....don't know if it will work but it's always a good move to try.

Rich

Not that I own a 4x4 one but I would say its permenant 4x4 , the O/D switch stops the gearbox going into 4th gear (O/D) but the gearbox will go up to 3rd, and at around 40mph or above (with the engine temp at normal) it will engage torque converter lockup, with the overdrive on (light off) it will go into 4th and at above 50mph will engage torque converter lockup, the idea of this switch is when climbing steep, especially with a load or caravan attached you can limit the gearbox to 3rd but still take the load of the torque converter as well, whilst not labouring the engine.

After my first major fill up I average 30mpg, 510km from full to just around the 1/4 tank mark, so that would seem better then your although moist of mine was at motorway speeds + a little :blink:

My electric curtains work now and then on the side, the tailgate ones dont work at all. I hear they are linear motors, and haven't really worried about mine as yet as you kids or people in the back can easily use the manual method of closing :lol:

One last thing the 'L' and '2' on the gearbox can be used if assending a steep hill, but are more useful to use for engine braking going down hills, saves on the brake pad wear.

Hope this all helped

One last thing the 'L' and '2' on the gearbox can be used if assending a steep hill, but are more useful to use for engine braking going down hills, saves on the brake pad wear.

Personally I'd rather wear the brake pads out than Engine Brake.

It only takes 20 minutes to change brake pads when they are worn out..........takes days to change a worn out engine.!

Rich

there are 10 litres in reserve from when the light comes on (so the book says) but i haven't proved that yet. There may be an anti-collision device on the sliding door to stop it trapping things e.g. kids fingers. You will tell if it is 4x4 by looking underneath at the layout of the prop shafts. ;)

sorry can't answer anything else.

You have all being wonderfully helpful especially blobstrom for a lengthy advice. Sharing knowledge is a wonderful thing and proves to be very very useful. Thank you all again. I hope to contribute mine soon as well.

Samil

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links