Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Usb Not Working

its_rcc

Hi all,

I recently bought a Toyota Auris 2012 and love it! The only issue that is driving me insane is the USB port in the glove box!! It is just not recognizing ANY usb sticks i am adding!

I have read the manual and it says the stick needs to be formatted as Fat32 which i have done (I have also tried NTFS, exFAT and FAT16 to no avail). It also says it will only play mp3 files which is what i have on the stick! (Although i also tried wma, flac and ogg files just to be sure!!)

Can anyone out there help please!! Its like the USB socket isn't wired? I cant select it from the media screen its just greyed out! I have tried 8 different memory sticks too!! I'm desperate lol.

On a side note i tried to get round this by putting the mp3's on my phone and using bluetooth, and that doesnt recognize ANY mp3 files, but it does pick up all my wma files? How odd.

Thanks a million for any help!!

I think you have answered your own question in a way by saying the the USB socket may not be connected. Try to remove some of the panels to see where the cable runs to and if connected. By being greyed out it is saying the USB is not available.

Size of the memory sticks can be limited to as low as 4gb! Check the size limitation.

How are the folders set out on the memory stick? Folders should be 6 to 10 on average and named CD01, CD02, CD03, etc. The folders are recognised as disks, just like in a CD changer. The number of music files per folder can be limited to 99. Some systems do not support sub folders.

I had to add USB on my 2009 Avensis TR, which has since made standard on later versions. When it was installed by myself, I took some of my memory sticks from my other car, and tested them successfully. Since the sticks were 4GB as limited to the old Connects2 in my Mk1 Avensis, and formated the correct way, I knew everything was fine. The adaptor in the Mk3 can use USB memory sticks up to 32GB. The folder format for both is 6 folders as explained earlier.

Your Auris system may be more flexible but, try eliminating the in the order I stated above.

Hi Konrad, thanks for the prompt reply!

I have tried memory sticks from 128MB right up to a 32GB stick! I dont think its to do with the folders as even when i go to Settings the 'Backup to USB' option is greyed out.

I've taken the panel off and it looks wired in, but then the wires disappear into the depths of the car somewhere!

Actually, just been out to look again, and im not convinced that the memory sticks are fitting into the USB port properly?? They all go in, but about the last centimetre of the silver part of the memory stick doesnt go in, so i'm not sure the car is even picking up a stick is inserted?? That cant be right? As i say i have tried 8 different sticks and that last little bit doesnt push in on any of them?

Is it some weird design flaw of the USB port??

Any chance there is some dirt in the USB port, preventing the stick from getting in? Is it vertical... like on the bottom of the box or is it horizontal?

perhaps the previous owner damaged the port?

Got any pics of the USB socket?

My 2012 Auris USB socket takes 8GB and 16GB no problems.

Mine:

IMG_20150923_143731_zpsx4ekiojb.jpg

IMG_20150923_143754_zpsd8g5io2f.jpg

IMG_20150923_144323_zpsok4r6otz.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I've checked for dirt or any obstruction and nothing!

Although there has been another progression...! (Exciting isnt it? :clown: )

I tried a USB stick that has a little light on the end to tell me if it was on or off. If i put the stick in and THEN start the engine the light comes on the USB stick for a few seconds and then goes off again, as though it isnt getting enough power?

Ahh i dont know!! I'll carry on surfing the internet!! But thanks guys!

Thanks guys. I've checked for dirt or any obstruction and nothing!

Although there has been another progression...! (Exciting isnt it? :clown: )

I tried a USB stick that has a little light on the end to tell me if it was on or off. If i put the stick in and THEN start the engine the light comes on the USB stick for a few seconds and then goes off again, as though it isnt getting enough power?

Ahh i dont know!! I'll carry on surfing the internet!! But thanks guys!

Let try to rule out the USB stick then...

Can u stick the USB stick onto a computer and see if it can play the MP3s????

If so, then we can look at the Auris USB Socket more....

I have tried memory sticks from 128MB right up to a 32GB stick! I dont think its to do with the folders as even when i go to Settings the 'Backup to USB' option is greyed out.

I've taken the panel off and it looks wired in, but then the wires disappear into the depths of the car somewhere!

Actually, just been out to look again, and im not convinced that the memory sticks are fitting into the USB port properly?? They all go in, but about the last centimetre of the silver part of the memory stick doesnt go in, so i'm not sure the car is even picking up a stick is inserted?? That cant be right? As i say i have tried 8 different sticks and that last little bit doesnt push in on any of them?

Any chance there is some dirt in the USB port, preventing the stick from getting in? Is it vertical... like on the bottom of the box or is it horizontal?

perhaps the previous owner damaged the port?

Actually Richard, Svetoslav and Scott have made a couple of point regarding what you mentioned about the port. The worst case scenario is the USB port circuits could be damaged due to overloading, but it may just be a case of physical damage.

Try blowing the socket or using a vacuum cleaner to suck out any muck from the socket.

When I installed the USB adapter, I bought an extension cable which I fitted in place of the AUX only socket. It is the perfect match so you would think it was standard part of the car.

Some photos of the USB socket.

post-76861-0-42133600-1445270355_thumb.jpost-76861-0-86971400-1445270383_thumb.jpost-76861-0-63683700-1445270434_thumb.j

This was part of my upgrade: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/tutorials/article/50-how-to-add-usb-adapter-to-avensis-t27-with-w53828-cd-stereo/

PS: the socket is identical to Waynes pictures who posted at the same time as me.

Konrad

Thanks Wayne!

My USB socket looks EXACTLY the same as your one! Yep every one of my memory sticks worked in a computer so it must be the socket.

I dont know if its not getting enough power or something?

Thanks Wayne!

My USB socket looks EXACTLY the same as your one! Yep every one of my memory sticks worked in a computer so it must be the socket.

I dont know if its not getting enough power or something?

Hi Richard

Did u buy the car privately?

Have u tried plugging in a phone to see if it charges (though not sure if good idea - why fried the phone! :eek: )

Suppose u left with the following choices:

1. Get some one to fix/repair it

2.Add a new USB socket somewhere else

3. Use the Phono plug

4. Use bluetooth (have u got that)

5. U can buy a cheap cigarette plug with a USB socket and blue tooth built-in (£12 I think) :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yeah i bought the car privately but from a friends dad who had it new. He never used the USB so no help there!

1. I thought about taking it to the Toyota garage, do you think they would look for free?

2. Not sure how i would add a socket? Would i have to run it off the existing one? Wouldnt that just try and pull even more power down?

3. Its just easier to plug a stick into the USB!

4. I have bluetooth and synched with my phone, but another issue is that it will then only play wma files and NOT mp3, so i have to convert all my mp3's and then when it does play, i have to louden the sound up to almost 100 to hear anything!!

5. Could do!!

Thank you so much for all the help so far though guys!!

Try plugging your phone in via the usb and see what happens.

I plugged my phone in but absolutely nothing happens. No charging, no recognition that its plugged into anything.

Just a thought - does it have the original head unit? If the head unit has been changed, the USB may have been disconnected for some reason. Picture?

• Like 1

It looks like the USB is not functioning. You need to get access to the rear of the audio unit, to see if is connected properly. After that, the worst case scenario I mentioned, the USB circuit has fried! The cable could be broken between USB socket and the head unit. That is not as bad an is easy to replace. If the USB circuit is dead, then you can fit the adapter I mentioned in my earlier reply.

• Like 1

Thanks again guys!

Konrad, how easy is it to get to the rear of the Audio unit? I have taken the small plastic cover off that holds the USB and AUX connections but then the wire trails back and disappears behind the glovebox! Do i have to take the glovebox out?

Frostyballs, i will go and take a pic! As far as i am told its all original as the previous owner never used them!

Just a thought... Your car is within the 5 year warranty period, could you take it to Toyota and get it fixed?

Alan...thats just too easy!! Its going in for a service next month so i will probably wait til then.

I think i know what the issue is now, but have no idea how to fix it! I borrowed a USB tester and plugged it in and turned on the engine, and initially the green light came on, then 3 seconds later it went off again. Its as though the port has no power!

Thanks again guys!

Konrad, how easy is it to get to the rear of the Audio unit? I have taken the small plastic cover off that holds the USB and AUX connections but then the wire trails back and disappears behind the glovebox! Do i have to take the glovebox out?

Frostyballs, i will go and take a pic! As far as i am told its all original as the previous owner never used them!

Just a thought... Your car is within the 5 year warranty period, could you take it to Toyota and get it fixed?

Hi Richard again. Alan May have a point. Check see if you are covered for this before touching anything.

Now, if you are not covered, I found this video:

I have done quite a few installs on various cars, so it depends how much work is needed.

You have seen my install http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/tutorials/article/50-how-to-add-usb-adapter-to-avensis-t27-with-w53828-cd-stereo/

I know this for the Avensis, but the Auris is just as easy. This is just so you get access to the rear of the stereo.

I have special trim removal tools that does not mark or damage the trim. First with a suitable flat blade lift the outer silver trim.

What you decide to do depends on what you find.

Konrad

• Like 1

Alan...thats just too easy!! Its going in for a service next month so i will probably wait til then.

I think i know what the issue is now, but have no idea how to fix it! I borrowed a USB tester and plugged it in and turned on the engine, and initially the green light came on, then 3 seconds later it went off again. Its as though the port has no power!

+1

Deffo worth asking if USB is covered by warranty during your service ...

You should be able to measure a continuous 5 volts (4.75 to 5.25) between the end two connections of a standard USB socket. This should be present at all the times you would expect the socket to work. The USB stick LED flashing for a few seconds and then going out sounds normal tbh. It will normal only light or flash when data is being read to or from the stick. Once its initialised and idle it goes out.

I missed the part regarding the USB memory sticks light coming on initially, then going out. That means the socket is working.

Try resetting the the audio unit. I would disconnect the main power cable from the rear for about 10 seconds, then reconnect. There may be another way to reset.

With all the connections checked, plus the USB socket cleaned, and the unit has rebooted, see if that works.

When I replied to you earlier about music and folders on the stick, has any of the sticks you tried been tested on another car stereo system? When installing my USB/Bluetooth adapter, I tested the system from sticks from my other car, with no issues.

When I installed my iConnect Connects2 USB adapter many years ago, a friend wanted to hear his music in my car, and the system rejected his memory stick. All my sticks played fine. It was the way he put the music on the stick and not in folders. I know this is not the same as your issue but, you need a working base to go from. When you go into the dealer, take those USB sticks and try them on a car there, just to prove it is the USB issue.

Richard

Any pics?

Of the USB socket (close up)

of the cables BEHIND the USB sockets?

Maybe even a video of the stereo when u select USB?

As other say, it can simply be its not reading the MP3 files/folders properly?????

Fingers crossed for u buddy hopefully a simple fix! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

• 2 years later...

Hello!

Apologies for digging up the old post. I recently bought a second hand Auris and I have the exact same problem. When I plug in my iPhone cable, the phone screen blinks for a second and beeps with the charging notification and immediately turns off. Subsequent reconnections do not produce any effect until I switch the car off and back on.

I tore down the whole trim and I did not find any loose cable or disconnect or other obvious issues. I am familiar with these kind of jobs and I'm sure there is no wiring mistake.

It would be amazing to know if the issue has been fixed and how.

thanks!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links