Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

High Pitched Whistle From The Brakes/wheels

GJMT

Hi all, I have a new Auris hybrid and am not a happy chap. The car is 4 weeks old and has already been back to fix a number of rattles. Last week it developed a high pitched whistle from the brakes. This happens when I brake, take my foot of the excelerator and sometimes when I excelerate. The garage has contacted Toyota who have now said that they want me to do a back to back test.

Question - is this an unknown problem? I feel that Toyota are not taking this seriously and as you can tell, I'm not very happy.

Should I be throwing toys out of prams at this stage? Help.

Advice is most welcome. Thanks

Hello Garry - welcone to Toyota Owners Club

As far as I'm aware, a similar issue hasn't been posted on Toyota Owners Club for the current generation Auris.

Some early first generation Auris (2007-08) had issues with squealing front brakes.

I don't see what the problem with a back-to-back comparison is. It will either show there is a problem with your car, show there is a potential problem with similar cars, or show no problem. It depends how replicable the issue is.

What else do you expect them to do?

Thanks Frosty, I suppose my main concern with the back to back is that having had a technician ride out and hear the noise I thought that the next stage would be to have the car into the work shop. Also, while the back to back will confirm that this is a problem, the two test drives we did in August in the new model did not make this noise. Our new car, was ok for the first 3 weeks, it has since developed this problem. It's just that having spent 24k on the car, I'm feeling a bit brushed off at the mo.

I might be being a bit picky but this is not the level of service I'd expect considering a technician has already confirmed the problem

Well the story has changed from your first post - which didn't say that a technician had already confirmed an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

If your still geting a squeak from the front brake it could be a high spot on the pads

I went back to the garage at the weekend to do the test drive. The problem was that it was raining, resulting in the brakes working without any noise. It has taken 4 days of driving in the dry for the sound to return. I will be going back to the garage as this doesn't seem right.

What does seem to make a difference is some heavy braking. So rain and heavy braking seems to solve the problem. Now I am confused!

Sounds like a disc/pad problem of some description (although that would normally be described as a squeal or screech than a whistle). What sort of mileage do you do (& what is the mileage on the car now), does the car get driven every day & where does the car sit overnight?

The car is 4 weeks old and now has 2200 on the clock. It is driven daily to work (50 miles a day) via a roads and motorway. It is parked on a driveway overnigh. The garage have looked at the brakes, pads and disks and can't see anything wrong. They also said that there is no binding of the wheels. As I said before, it was wet when I took it in last so they are happy to try to isolate the problem - it's just taking some time!

As for the sound, it could be described as a squeal. For instance yesterday it was happening when moving and not just when braking.

wonder if it's a sticky caliper? It sure sounds like something is binding slightly (being wet would lubricate the pads/discs slightly hence less friction>no/less noise.

Can you isolate the area that it is coming from (front/rear, left/right)?

Is your car pre or post this years facelift, also could please PM your chassis number as your statement about the noise occurring when not braking may relate to something have you mentioned this additional phenomena to your dealer?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links