Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2005 2.2 D-4D T-Spirit Edu Fault

Drumatix

Hi all,

Am new on here but have been using this forum to help with small jobs and advice on my 2 Avensis' for some time.

I first had 2003 2.0 D-4D estate which I ran for 3 years and did 50,000 miles. I sold it as spares or repairs after the clutch went at 190,000.

I now have the model from the title which I bought in March 2015, at 132,000. I regularly maintain and service my car as I use it for work and need something reliable.

I have now hit 147,000 and the car is in with Toyota and they are telling me they want £800 to fix an EDU fault. I have read about this fault and all the symptoms the car had indicates a correct diagnosis.

(Battery, engine oil and oil filter light all came on...fully flashing dash, loss of lights, loss in power. Then it wouldn't start...The AA had a go but no joy, they checked the diagnostics and he said there was a fault relating to the injectors...dropped off at Toyota...2.5 hours labour at £103 pounds to find the EDU fault...time to decide what to do!)

I have spoke to my independent mechanic and he doesn't think he could do it that much cheaper but is weary of the cost spiralling further than £800.

I only need the car to last until November (approx 10,000 miles) when I am going travelling and am unsure if this investment is worth it. The MOT is due in 8 weeks, and have recently been reading about the dreaded head gasket probs too, so after owning an Avensis for nearly 4 years am beginning not to trust it and fall out of love.

I have looked at temp leasing and pcp but it doesn't seem cost effective, so as alot of you have experience with this model any advice to the best way to get around this would be majorly appreciated. Is it time to get rid and try another car or better the devil you know?

Many thanks!

Can I ask what an EDU is?

The Engine Diagnostic Unit - which I believe controls the ECU (engine control unit) which feeds the injectors, but I am no expert and am only repeating what I have been told.

I have checked on the internet and the fault is know, but not sure on the cost been quoted £100 an hour labour, when my independent mechanic charges less than half.

Anyway am probably not going to go ahead with the work as my friends have suggested the money would be better spent on cheaper motor to get me through until November...would still be interested in any other suggestions though.

Thanks!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links