Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Year Did Toyota Sort Out Oil Consumption As I Am Looking To Repla

waqar_lionheart

Hi All,

Long time no see.

Just checking what year did toyota fix the dreaded oil consumption issue with the 1.8 or 2.0 even. I am looking to replace mine urgently as mine went kaput last night with misfire detected on cylinder 3. This might be down to a dead spark plug coz of oil consumption or a shot coil pack or even crapy compression (most likely as car did 500miles to a litre of engine oil).

Please let me know as I dont wanna buy a dud again.

Regards Muchly,

Waqar

supposedly mid-2005 for the 1.8. I didn't think that the 2.0 had a problem?

Safest way afaik (but I take no responsibility :P ) is probably to buy a facelift.

Thanks for the quick reply. I am looking to get 07/08 anyway but would be absolutely gutted if its gonna have oil consumption as I am a bit sick of it. I know that its really down to how a car is treated and NOW i wouldnt buy a car which has the slightest hint of carelessness about it.

Ta,

waqar

Oh ALSO if anyone knows that there are known issues with 2.0 diesel (I wont get 2.2 even though i like it more but a bit afraid due to head gasket issues around it). e.g. oil consumption, head gasket issue etc.

regards,

waqar

The 1AD engine (2.0) D4D is also subject to the same TSB for head/headgasket issue as the 2.2 (2AD). It seems to be more prevalent, the more powerful the engine so you don't see as many reports for the 2.0 but it does happen.

ok. That rules that out then. i was thinking getting a is 220 d. thats out of the question as well now as i think its using the same block.

cheers heidfirst.

afaik Lexus IS220D uses the same 2.2 engine as the Auris/Avensis/RAV4 T180 i.e. the most prone of all versions to the problem.

On the other hand it's a very small % that actually develop it - it's the unpredictability (& cost out of warranty!) that's the pain.

According to Honest John, Avensis built from July 2005 should have the oil consumption issue fixed.

I have my eye on a 2008 avensis 1.8 vvti tr spec. Its covered 68000 and always serviced by Toyota. MOT due in june. sounds alright and looks alright too. I ll keep you guys posted with the developments.

Regards,

Waqar

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links