Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox Oil Change On 2.0 D4D?

wastedagen

Hi, Can someone tell me if the gearbox oil does actually require changing during the lifetime of the car.

I can't look at the manual as it's gone missing.....

My car has done 179000 miles, most of which have been motorway driving. Is this a requirement at intervals during the life of the motor. If so how often?

I do change all other fluids religiously at the correct intervals with top spec oils/fluids. I have just totally forgotten about gearbox oil.

Thank you kindly

I don't think a gearbox oil change is actually called up as a service item but at that kind of mileage it wouldn't go amiss. I don't know whether your car has a magnetic drain plug but I'd be going through the drained oil for any evidence of metal particles etc for impending doom. Brass particles = worn synchro rings, grey/silvery particles from bearings or metal chips from gear teeth.

My handbook lists Toyota Genuine Manual Transmission Gear Oil LV or other gear oil that meets API GL-4 and SAE 75W specifications with you can get at pretty much any motor store.  

It's a "check" item in the Full (every 20K/2 year) & Full+ (every 40K/4 year) services. Obviously whether it is topped up/changed depends upon what they find.

Thank you guys for the info. Much appreciated..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links