Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Toyota Yaris buyer - spec advice?

Tibbs78

Hi all!

I'm looking to buy a Yaris Icon Hybrid in the next few weeks. I test drove it over the weekend and really liked it. I'm thinking of getting it in Grey or Blue.

I'm now looking at speccing it up, and the Icon looks very well equipped. However, is there anything on the spec list that's especially worth getting, that's made your life easier? I don't think I need a GPS, as I have one on my phone, and the stereo is top of the range already I think and it has a reversing camera, which covers off my parking needs! I was hoping to get folding door mirrors, as I live in London and the roads near me a quite narrow, but that doesn't look to be an option. :(

Any advice you can offer would be much appreciated!

Many thanks :)

Door mirrors are foldable on all Yaris's, so you shouldn't have an issue there :)

lol - should have been more accurate! I meant electric folding door mirrors - only because I know I'll forget to unfold them!

To get electric folding mirrors you would have to order a Design model and add the optional Convenience pack which includes Auto wipers, Auto lights, Smart entry, Auto dimming rear view mirror & Auto fold mirrors there is no option on Icon models.

• Like 1

We got the Hybrid Sport with Safety Sense, that gives you lane departure warning, collision warning and auto dimming headlights, we also got auto wipers but not auto lights.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions! It's a shame about the electric mirrors - I have to get the icon as that's the only one (except possibly the active?) that has 75g CO2 which I need to get free congestion charge. I think tyre profile affects it, so I have to have the 15" wheels.

I looked at the TSS as well, but for some reason it put my insurance up by over £100!

I'm sure I'll be back - I have a delivery date of early April. 😊

4 hours ago, Tibbs78 said:

Thanks for the suggestions! It's a shame about the electric mirrors - I have to get the icon as that's the only one (except possibly the active?) that has 75g CO2 which I need to get free congestion charge. I think tyre profile affects it, so I have to have the 15" wheels.

I looked at the TSS as well, but for some reason it put my insurance up by over £100!

I'm sure I'll be back - I have a delivery date of early April. 😊

If the low emissions are the deciding factor you can have an Excel model & add the 15" Premuim pack ( Roof Spoiler , Keyless entry, Auto fold mirrors & navigation ) and add optional 15" alloy wheels which will give the higher spec and lower emissions, congestion charge exemption of the Icon on 15" wheels.

Thank you for that suggestion, but that puts the price up too much for me to justify.

Interesting how there's always a way around things though!

• 1 month later...

My car arrives today!

Not until about 7pm though, so I have to wait until then...

On 31/03/2016 at 10:07 AM, Tibbs78 said:

My car arrives today!

Not until about 7pm though, so I have to wait until then...

Congrats! I have just got my the pretty basic Icon Petrol CVT, The only thing that I think is missing are rear electric windows. 

Actually, I did not know that insurance and economy can be affected by the 15" wheels vs 16" wheels. 

4 minutes ago, Justhandguns said:

Actually, I did not know that insurance and economy can be affected by the 15" wheels vs 16" wheels. 

As regards insurance, it depends what one's insurance company classes as a modification as to whether they either cover the vehicle or charge an extra premium. 

A while ago, a member who had Toyota's motor insurance and who wanted to change to 15 inch wheels on their Auris, had cover refused as the wheels weren't part of the car's standard spec.

Our 2015 Hyundai i20 came with cornering headlights, LED daylight running lights and integrated smartphone holder as part of the launch spec. The standard spec didn't have these, and initially our insurance wanted to class these fittings as modifications and increase the premium, until I provided evidence of the launch spec.

Larger wheels are heavier and can affect weight, CO2 emissions and economy.

9 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As regards insurance, it depends what one's insurance company classes as a modification as to whether they either cover the vehicle or charge an extra premium. 

A while ago, a member who had Toyota's motor insurance and who wanted to change to 15 inch wheels on their Auris, had cover refused as the wheels weren't part of the car's standard spec.

9 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Larger wheels are heavier and can affect weight, CO2 emissions and economy.

Thanks for the information. It is good to know, I am with Toyota Insurance at the moment and have no plan to do any upgrade yet. 16" wheels and wider tyres might be on the card in the future, but in that case, I shall probably stick with everything standard.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links