Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speedometer

Chip-Trix

Hi my odometer is gone blank, I talk to a autobreaker, he has a used i can buy cheap, but the mileage don't match, is it posible to change that, it's a Aygo gasoline 2012-

Tommy

Presumably as you're outside the UK, you have no remaining warranty?

wherever you are find someone who can repair dashboard they can normally correct the milage as well

Changing the odometer reading Is supposed to be outlawed under EU regulations either existing or forthcoming. There's places in Glasgow where. I'm told, it's a bit like a secret service operation. You take your car in for 'mileage adjustment / correction' and sit in a little room. The wooden hatch opens and you hand over a piece of paper with your desired mileage, the hatch closes then later you get your car back and cash (no credit cards) changes hands and you drive away. Taxi drivers are fond of these llittle adjustments because HM Inland Revenue have a formula for calculating revenue against mileage :biggrin:  

years ago I had my milage adjusted I had 20000 miles ADDED to the odometer because a bought

another set of clocks that had a lower milage showing ,you cant tell me adding milage is against the law.

as far as I am aware (things may of changed) it used to be illegal to do milage correction if you

where to make a buyer think the car had covered less miles than it actually had.

Well I, for one, can tell you that adding mileage to the odometer reading is against the law. Many companies offer their employees pay their employees for mileage covered in the course of their employment. There have been actual cases where drivers have driven less miles than what they claimed and have had their odometers altered so they could 'prove' their mileage. It's not easy to do (don't ask me how I know) because if you're dealing with a savvy auditor he'll want to see your servicing records to make sure they tally. Fact remains, if you do it this is fraud and therefore illegal.  

why would i need to be audited it was a private car and i wanted the milage on the new clocks to be a true reflection of the cars milage

so servicing,cambelts weren't forgotten about and when i sold the car the milage would be true.

quote from Auto Express

"Under the Consumer Regulation Act, people can be prosecuted for clocking if it can be proven they’re traders and they knew the vehicle was going to be sold for financial gain."

6 minutes ago, eygo said:

why would i need to be audited it was a private car and i wanted the milage on the new clocks to be a true reflection of the cars milage

so servicing,cambelts weren't forgotten about and when i sold the car the milage would be true.

quote from Auto Express

"Under the Consumer Regulation Act, people can be prosecuted for clocking if it can be proven they’re traders and they knew the vehicle was going to be sold for financial gain."

When one reads the whole article, it isn't quite so straightforward - http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/88547/car-clocking-is-mileage-correction-legal

The article concludes that the best way (this includes having the necessary paperwork) is to get an odometer adjustment/record of an odometer change, etc done by a main dealer.

Might cost more, but it removes any question over the vehicle's history when one comes to change or sell

2 hours ago, eygo said:

so servicing,cambelts weren't forgotten about and when i sold the car the milage would be true"

You were the one who made the statement "you can't tell me adding milage (sic) is against the law" and I  gave you an example where it is against the law.

Maybe you now want to go back and qualify your original statement and that's fine. For my part I should have said "can be" against the law instead of "is". 

my statement was only based on my circumstances.

to make the milage correct on replacement clocks i had to add milage onto the new clocks otherwise

when i sold the car the car would of covered 20000 miles more than the clocks where showing

and that would be illegal,it would of looked a bit dodgy also as i keep my mot's certifcates

and in one year i would of covered ZERO miles as back then i drove 20000 miles per year.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links