Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

USB adapters using the CD changer socket.

Konrad C

There has been lots of questions about adding USB/memory card adapters to cars that don't have the facility. I used carry about 100 CD's in my old car which had a 10 disc CD player in the boot as well as the player in factory Sony headunit. Then I added a Connects2 iCoonect USB adapter that used the Sony CD changer socket. It has a through port, so I could still use the CD changer. 

Now I have my Mk3 and the first thing I added was a Bluetooth/micro SD/USB/AUX adapter. It can use a 32gb memory sticks, which is more than enough storage.

I did some research and can say that up to 2011 when USB was made standard, and AD2P added to Bluetooth. These adapters like the one I am using, fixes this issue for earlier cars.

The biggest confusion is that some of the head units only have 10 pins in the CD changer socket. Normally there should 12 pins. I have since did the following post that clears this issue:

Basically the 2 missing pins in the CD changer socket are "Batt" "Mute". This should not affect USB/SD/Aux adapters, but may or may not be an issue with bluetooth. In the post above the pinouts are explained as shown in this photo - Toyota_new_short.GIF.4ce494569b450e41769

A much clearer photo is in this post of the 6+6 CD changer socket: 

There are so many brands I have listed in other posts, the main are Xarlink, Connects2, Yatour, Grom, Dension, and some smaller companies, like the one I sourced from eBay -  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111575425984?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&clk_rvr_id=989623416946&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

There is an older socket 12 pin (5+7) CD changer socket up to 2003 Toyota-connector.jpg.f06006b69ba3f2e651d

For those who wish to upgrade the facilities without changing the stereo, this is a cheap plug and play way. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links