Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mode Button on Steering Wheel

YarisHybrid2016

Hi,

I have an interesting "problem" with the mode button on the steering wheel when changing audio sources. For months it was fine - I'd link my iPad via BT and play music.

Pressing the mode button cycled the audio sources AM - FM - DAB - bluetooth - AM... which worked fine, but for some reason, after I had plugged my iPad into the USB socket to charge (and it switching to USB for audio) it now won't cycle through bluetooth, and gets stuck at DAB.

Has anyone else seen this, and any ideas how to reset or fix this? I'm going to try plugging it into the USB again in case it has got stuck there somehow.

Thanks!

Sorry - can't help with your specific query.

However, I recently found out that the mode button on my Gen 3+ can cancel traffic reports. You know when you receive interrupting traffic reports from different areas which you don't want to listen to, I was struggling to find a way to cancel them. I discovered that simply pressing the mode button stops the broadcast. Yay!

• Like 1

On the radio? Nice find!

Yes, it's strange! Going to look at it now!

Fixed! I plugged my iPad into the USB and played some music. It cycled correctly through all sources. I switched to a source that wasn't iPod, and unplugged the device. It cycles correctly, as before.

Sorry - when I posted the tip about the Mode button cancelling unwanted traffic broadcasts, I was referring to my Prius Gen3+.

I don't know if this will work on a Yaris. Did you try it?

Not yet (I don't have that function enabled). Is that for FM or DAB broadcasts? I'll try it on FM broadcast! Do you know if it still works if you're listening to another source, or do you need to have the radio selected for it to work?

It works whilst listening to DAB, and the HDD. Haven't tried it with FM or USB but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Traffic bulletin interrupts, press mode once, and after a very brief pause, the bulletin stops.

Interesting!? You seem to be intimating that you are getting traffic reports transmitted over DAB? The only station transmitting over DAB ceased transmissions back in 2011 as far as I am aware?

Hmm. You've got me thinking now.

We only listen to DAB and my Wife's stored CDs played via the HDD, and I couldn't swear as to which format we were listening to when she cancelled the last traffic bulletin.

I'lI try and note which one the next time it occurs and follow up this post.

Usually, when you are listening to anything other than DAB, it is the RDS/FM reception of traffic bulletins running in the background... (that provides the traffic info - not DAB) If you are actually listening to a DAB station, then you will get no traffic into at all... (unless the head unit is capable of receiving FM transmissions simultaneously with DAB - which I don't think Toyota head units are... BIMBW...)

Toyota UK has had TMC via DAB (DAB-TPEG) since 2012 depending upon model/system.

Afaik Classic FM & other stations belonging to Global Radio transmit it (bimbw).

There is a thread on here somewhere (iirc Auris related) regarding some people having problems getting it via Touch 2 but there apparently is a firmware update that restores it (& presumably the imminent big new update for Touch 2 with Go will include that).

On my Avensis (which lacks DAB) the Mode button acts as a mute button whilst playing any media but I have never tried it during a TMC transmission to see if it cuts that out only but allows the media to continue playing.

I think we're starting to blur the edges here between Traffic Announcements and (RDS-) Traffic Management Channel broadcasts. The latter is available on any Touch 2 with Go unit (and earlier T & Go) but this doesn't provide an audio announcer reading out the location of traffic jams, accidents or holdups etc. (effectively "Traffic News"), rather it is used to base its navigation route planning decisions on and is effective (often) in saving you time by routing you away from possible delays using your built-in or portable GPS (TomTom, Garmin etc). The infodata for this service is garnered and furnished by all those navy blue pole devices (TrafficLink/Trafficmaster) alongside major routes and, you're right, is transmitted as a part of the RDS data carrier on Classic FM's (FM) broadcast.

However, the type of (TP or TA) Traffic Announcements I am on about are the totally audio type that get transmitted from regional stations like Radio Leeds, Radio York etc. etc. which break in (mute) over the top of what you are listening to on the head unit at the time automatically and then restore back to the original broadcast/audio stream when done. These broadcasts are local to the area that you are travelling through or near. AFAIK, whilst there used to be such a service (back in the late noughties), there is not now any commercial operation providing such an audio service that can broadcast seamlessly over DAB using the same methodology (even though the Toyota T&G and Touch 2 units with DAB have a checkbox for it to turn it on - it doesn't work). TP/TA announcements still work absolutely fine over FM station reception but do not work over DAB. (unless you have a head unit which can mix both technologies seamlessly and AFAIK, none of Toyota's head units are capable of this)

BTW, that firmware update you alluded to (I already have it) was to fix certain malfunctions of the DAB system on Touch 2 head units which have DAB. Nothing to do with Traffic Announcements...

"The latter is available on any Touch 2 with Go unit (and earlier T & Go) but this doesn't provide an audio announcer reading out the location of traffic jams, accidents or holdups etc. "

My T&G Plus has spoken notification of traffic jams, accidents etc en route.

6 hours ago, CPN said:

BTW, that firmware update you alluded to (I already have it) was to fix certain malfunctions of the DAB system on Touch 2 head units which have DAB. Nothing to do with Traffic Announcements...

This thread says that it is to do with TMC

Btw Toyota UK's blog says that the big new update for Touch 2 with Go isn't now due for release until May.

Do you need the nav unit to get the spoken traffic alerts (NOT TA/TP)?

How do you find the firmware version, and how do you update it?

I believe so. It's not a live announcer as such but system generated voice triggered by TMC, telling me that there is an issue & usually asking if I want to reroute.

I can tell you for Touch & Go but Touch2 with Go may well be different. This may help http://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-touch-2-how-to-update-your-maps-and-software

Ahh I see! The updates are put on a memory stick, and that is plugged into the car USB socket.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links