Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Touring Sports - Automatic

skirmish

Looking on Autotrader at Auris HSD's they are described differently.

Some are  "Toyota Auris 1.8 VVTi Hybrid Icon 5dr CVT Auto" and others are "Toyota Auris 1.8 VVT-i Excel Touring Sports e-CVT HSD"

Is this just a different way of describing the same gearbox or is there an actual difference?

It's hard to explain how it works unless you're technically minded, but the HSD only simulates a CVT, partly due to the way the engine and electric motors are connected together; It isn't a real CVT and doesn't have any sliding friction belts like normal CVTs.

The whole thing is just cogs and gears; There are no clutches or friction plates or belts or anything like that; The 'gearing' is controlled by a Small electric motor (aka MG1) which controls the power delivery from the petrol engine; The Big electric motor (MG2) is directly connected to the wheels and has no gearing.

It is literally the only gearbox I know of that doesn't need any kind of friction/wearing surfaces that will need to be replaced at some point. (Does it even count as a gearbox actually??)

The Traction Battery has proven to be surprisingly robust and long-lived; I predicted they'd all be dead within 5 years for the Mk2 Prius when they first came out, but as far as I can tell they're still very usable; Maybe 80% of original charge (Which is !Removed! good after 10+ years!) and I think we've only had a handful of people who've had to replace them, and those were due to actual faults, not the batteries reaching the end of their lives.

The short answer is, you won't own the car long enough for the Battery to become a problem.

Electronic Parking Brakes: Hate them; They're great until they develop problems then they are a nightmare; Give me a proper mechanical one any day of the week.

Start-Stop: A nice idea, but ultimately pointless, and even detrimental in some cases (It is the stupidest thing ever to put on a diesel engine for instance). The amount of fuel and emissions you save is tiny and offset by the increased fuel consumption and emissions by the engine cooling down and being restarted again. It's also lethal for anything with a turbo in it unless the cooling system is kept running. The only times it'd be useful are the times that most drivers would have turned off their engines manually anyway (i.e. waiting at level crossings or stuck in epic traffic jams like I was today on the M1 :crybaby:)

• Like 1

I read in a another forum, that a Subaru Tech have said, that if just the CVT was given 3 sec. to build up oil pressure before driving, the gearbox would last longer than the car.

So, does that mean, that the car has to idle 3 sec. with gearshifter in "D" position before leaving? It makes perfect sense, the steelbelt is hold tight with nothing but oil pressure, about 4-5 ton. It's easy to make a daily routine, just like letting the turbo cool down after working at high speeds.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links