Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

On This Day

Demonic Angel

Births

1702 Philip Doddridge, English Nonconformist

1824 William Thomson, 1st Baron Kelvin, English physicist

1892 Pearl S Buck, US novelist

1904 Peter Lorre, US film actor

1914 Laurie Lee, English poet and author

1933 Claudio Abbado, Italian conductor

Deaths

1541 Francisco Pizarro, Spanish explorer who conquered Peru, assassinated

1666 Richard Fanshawe, English scholar and diplomat

1688 Ralph Cudworth, English philosopher

1793 Gilbert White, English clergyman and naturalist

1810 Joseph-Michel Montgolfier, French balloonist

1939 Ford Madox Ford, English novelist and poet

Events

1483 Richard, Duke of Gloucester, began to rule England as Richard III, having deposed his nephew, Edward V; the latter and his brother, Richard, Duke of York, were soon afterwards murdered in the Tower of London.

1519 Martin Luther's public disputation with Johann Eck on doctrine began at Leipzig.

1849 The British Navigation Acts were finally repealed.

1937 Spanish rebels took Santander.

1937 The Duke of Windsor married Mrs Wallis Simpson in France.

1960 Madagascar was proclaimed independent as the Malagasy Republic.

1960 British Somaliland became independent; it joined Somalia on 27 June

1962 The Portuguese in Mozambique required Indian nationals to leave within three months of release from internment camps.

1963 While addressing a crowd of 150,000 Berliners, President Kennedy made the statement 'All free men ... are citizens of Berlin. And therefore, as a free man, I take pride in the words, Ich bin ein Berliner'.

1975 Indira Gandhi declared a state of emergency in India, imposing censorship and imprisoning opposition leaders, including Morarji Desai.

1997 US mathematician Andrew Wiles was awarded the Wolfskehl Prize for solving Fermat's Last Theorem, the most notorious problem in mathematics.

1997 UK physiologist Stephen O'Rahilly and colleagues showed that human obesity could be caused by a mutation in the gene that produces the hormone leptin.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raistlin

• Bizarra

• Red Yaris 54

• bothwell_buyer

In case anyone didn't get the significance of what President John F. Kennedy said in his speech in Berlin, in 1963. read on..................

A Berliner

According to an urban legend, Kennedy allegedly made a humorous error by saying "Ich bin ein Berliner." According to this idea, Kennedy referred to himself not as a citizen of Berlin, but as a jam doughnut, which is known locally as a "Berliner".[3]

Kennedy should, supposedly, have said "Ich bin Berliner" to mean "I am a person from Berlin." By adding the indefinite article ein his statement, supposedly, implied he was a non-human Berliner, thus "I am a jam doughnut".

In case anyone didn't get the significance of what President John F. Kennedy said in his speech in Berlin, in 1963. read on..................

A Berliner

According to an urban legend, Kennedy allegedly made a humorous error by saying "Ich bin ein Berliner." According to this idea, Kennedy referred to himself not as a citizen of Berlin, but as a jam doughnut, which is known locally as a "Berliner".[3]

Kennedy should, supposedly, have said "Ich bin Berliner" to mean "I am a person from Berlin." By adding the indefinite article ein his statement, supposedly, implied he was a non-human Berliner, thus "I am a jam doughnut".

Maybe he was trying to Sponge something to eat, the Germans do Bakewell in the Black Forest...

A Berliner

Maybe he was trying to Sponge something to eat, the Germans do Bakewell in the Black Forest...

Totally ignoring the above terrible [brilliant puns :lol: ] Nothing wrong with my memory :thumbsup: I remember that speech, most of you being only a twinkle in your Father's eye :baby: at the time. There was a great furore about his slip of the tongue :laughing:

A Berliner

Totally ignoring the above terrible [brilliant puns laugh.gif ] Nothing wrong with my memory thumbsup.gif I remember that speech, most of you being only a twinkle in your Father's eye baby.gif at the time. There was a great furore about his slip of the tongue laughing.gif

So someone else who is good at the slip of the tongue .... drool.gif

A Berliner

Totally ignoring the above terrible [brilliant puns laugh.gif ] Nothing wrong with my memory thumbsup.gif I remember that speech, most of you being only a twinkle in your Father's eye baby.gif at the time. There was a great furore about his slip of the tongue laughing.gif

And liked a good cigar, properly prepared & presented, for optimal flavour :naughty:

A Berliner

And liked a good cigar, properly prepared & presented, for optimal flavour naughty.gif

And rolled on the thighs of young Asian women eek.gif

I don't think that the story of the Cigar is acceptable on General :unsure:

:oops: Wrong President :blushing: It was Bill Clinton who thought of such an innovative way of preparing cigars before smoking :naughty::drool:

I don't think that the story of the Cigar is acceptable on General unsure.gif

Did I at any point mention Cigars ? cool.gif

Nope ! + 1 to you :toast: If you reread my post you will see that, amazingly, I got my facts mixed up :crybaby:

So much info in my head I have to have a Secretary............................... to keep it in order :lol:

Nope ! + 1 to you toast.gif If you reread my post you will see that, amazingly, I got my facts mixed up crybaby.gif

So much info in my head I have to have a Secretary............................... to keep it in order laugh.gif

That's why you put foam padding on the underside of your desk drool.gif

oops.gif Wrong President blushing.gif It was Bill Clinton who thought of such an innovative way of preparing cigars before smoking naughty.gifdrool.gif

A Yanks, a Yank eek.gif

Foam padding is too absorbent eek.gif

I bow to your greater knowledge sick.gif

+ 1 to me :yahoo: Neck & neck again :lol:

+ 1 to me yahoo.gif Neck & neck again laugh.gif

Always necking, that's why you have so little energy :D

Births

1462 Louis XII, king of France

1846 Charles Stewart Parnell, Irish nationalist leader

1865 John Monash, Australian civil engineer

1880 Helen Keller, US author and teacher

Deaths

1571 Giorgio Vasari, Italian painter and art historian

1742 Nathaniel Bailey, English lexicographer

1816 Samuel Hood, British admiral

1829 James Smithson, English scientist

1844 Joseph Smith, founder of the Mormons

1957 Malcolm Lowry, British novelist

1980 Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, former Shah of Iran

Events

1771 Russia completed its conquest of the Crimea.

1795 A British force landed at Quiberon to aid the revolt in Brittany.

1795 French forces recaptured St Lucia.

1801 Cairo fell to English forces.

1932 A Constitution was proclaimed in Siam.

1940 The USSR invaded Romania on the refusal of King Carol to cede Bessarabia and Bukovina; Romania appealed for German aid in vain.

1941 Hungary declared war on Russia.

1944 In the Second World War, Allied forces took Cherbourg in France.

1996 The Galileo spacecraft passed by Ganymede, Jupiter's largest moon, taking pictures and revealing surface-structure details.

1997 The Near Earth Asteroid Rendezvous (NEAR) spacecraft flew within 1,200 km/746 mi of the asteroid Mathilde, taking high-resolution photographs and revealing a 25-km/15.5-mi crater covering the asteroid.

a mudgearoeatiour deleted wan o ma posts oan anither topic. the death of democracy ??

a mudgearoeatiour deleted wan o ma posts oan anither topic. the death of democracy ??

You are not alone :hug: I noticed that several of Raist's & my witty interchanges disappeared over night :crybaby: They were no worse or :offtopic: than usual, but were in bad taste & we shouldn't have done it, as they were in the serious & sad Topic of the death of the Toyota test driver :blushing: :(

You are not alone hug.gif I noticed that several of Raist's & my witty interchanges disappeared over night crybaby.gif They were no worse or offtopic.gif than usual, but were in bad taste & we shouldn't have done it, as they were in the serious & sad Topic of the death of the Toyota test driver blushing.gifsad.gif

Did anyone do a stiffy joke...

Births

1368 Sigismund of Luxembourg, Holy Roman Emperor

1491 Henry VIII, King of England

1712 Jean-Jacques Rousseau, French philosopher and writer

1719 Luigi Pirandello, Italian playwright

1867 Étienne-François, Duc de Choiseul, French politician

1929 Harold Evans, British newspaper editor

Deaths

767 Paul I, pope

1650 Jean de Rotrou, French playwright

1836 James Madison, 4th president of the USA

1855 Lord Raglan, British soldier

1861 Robert Burke, Irish explorer of Australia

1914 Franz Ferdinand, heir to the Austrian throne, assassinated

1958 Alfred Noyes, English poet

1993 Boris Christoff, Bulgarian operatic bass

Events

1519 Charles I of Spain, Sicily and Sardinia, was elected Holy Roman Emperor as Charles V.

1645 In the English Civil War, the Royalists lost Carlisle.

1895 Union of Nicaragua, Honduras and El Salvador (ended in 1898 by El Salvador's opposition).

1905 Sailors on the Russian battleship Potemkin mutinied as unrest spread through the Russian navy.

1914 Archduke Francis Ferdinand of Austria and his wife were assassinated at Sarajevo by Gavrilo Princip, a Bosnian revolutionary.

1919 Britain and the USA guaranteed France in event of an unprovoked German attack, which the USA later refused to ratify.

1948 Yugoslavia was expelled from Cominform for hostility to the USSR.

1950 North Korean forces captured Seoul.

1956 Sydney Silverman's bill for abolition of death penalty passed the Commons; it was defeated in the Lords, 10 July.

1956 Labour riots at Poznan, Poland, were put down with heavy loss of life.

1970 US ground troops withdrew from Cambodia.

1988 (-1 July) At 19th Communist Party conference in Moscow, President Gorbachev outlined plans for changes in the administrative structure of the USSR, intended to make the Party more democratic and businesses more autonomous.

1997 Boxer Mike Tyson of the USA was disqualified in the third round of the World Boxing Association (WBA) world heavyweight title fight for biting Evander Holyfield's ear.

Births

1577 Peter Paul Rubens, Flemish painter

1798 Giacomo Leopardi, Italian poet

1868 George Ellery Hale, US astronomer

1900 Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, French author and aviator

1901 Nelson Eddy, US singer and film actor

1911 Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands

Deaths

1509 Margaret, Countess of Richmond (the Lady Margaret)

1861 Elizabeth Barrett Browning, English poet

1895 T H Huxley, English biologist

1906 Albert Sorel, French historian

1940 Paul Klee, Swiss painter

1941 Ignaz Jan Paderewski, Polish pianist, composer, and politician

1967 Jayne Mansfield, US film actress

1995 Lana Turner, US actress

Events

1613 London's Globe Theatre was destroyed by fire.

1880 France annexed Tahiti.

1943 US forces landed in New Guinea.

1945 Czechoslovakia ceded Ruthenia to the USSR.

1949 The USA completed its withdrawal of occupying forces from South Korea.

1949 British dock strike.

1949 The South African Citizenship Act suspended the automatic granting of citizenship to Commonwealth immigrants after five years, and imposed a ban on mixed marriages between Europeans and non-Europeans - the beginning of the Apartheid programme.

1954 Following the meeting of President Eisenhower and Winston Churchill in Washington the Potomac Charter, or six-point declaration of western policy, was issued.

1966 USA bombed Hanoi and Haiphong. Britain dissociated itself from the bombing of populated areas.

1995 Lisa Clayton, 36, became the first woman to achieve a solo non-stop unaided circumnavigation from the northern hemisphere, and completed her 10-month, 31,000-mile journey.

1995 The US space shuttle Atlantis docked with the Russian space station Mir 400km above central Asia.

Births

1396 Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy

1469 Charles VIII, King of France

1755 Paul François Nicolas Barras, French politician

1884 Georges Duhamel, French novelist and poet

1891 Stanley Spencer, English painter

1893 Harold Laski, English politician

Deaths

1520 Montezuma II, Aztec ruler, assassinated

1522 Johann Reuchlin, German humanist and Hebrew scholar

1597 Willem Barents, Dutch explorer

1660 William Oughtred, English mathematician

1973 Nancy Mitford, English author

1984 Lillian Hellman, US playwright

Events

1574 William of Orange persuaded the Estates of Holland to open the dykes to hinder the Spanish siege of Leyden.

1596 An English expedition under Lord Howard of Effingham and the Earl of Essex sacked Cadiz, ravaged the Spanish coast, and captured much booty. Philip II was thus prevented from sending an Armada against England.

1782 Spain completed its conquest of Florida.

1797 The Nore mutiny was suppressed.

1846 The Mormons under Brigham Young left Nauvoo City on trail for the Great Salt Lake.

1934 A Nazi purge took place in Germany with summary executions of Kurt von Schleicher, Ernst Roehm and other party leaders for an alleged plot against Hitler.

1965 An India-Pakistan cease-fire was signed.

1982 In the USA, the Equal Rights Amendment (passed by Congress in 1972), prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sex, failed to secure ratification by a sufficient number of states to ensure its inclusion in the Constitution.

1985 39 US hostages from a TWA jet taken to Damascus were released following Syrian intervention.

1996 Radovan Karadzic, the Bosnian Serb leader, resigned as president. His powers were given to Biljana Plavsic, a hardliner.

Births

1804 George Sand (pen name of Amandine Dudevant, born Dupin), French novelist

1872 Louis Blériot, French aviator

1899 Charles Laughton, English film actor

1916 Olivia de Havilland, US film actress

1961 Diana, the Princess of Wales

1961 Carl Lewis, US athlete

Deaths

1860 Charles Goodyear, US inventor

1884 Allan Pinkerton, US founder of the Detective Agency

1896 Harriet Beecher Stowe, US author

1925 Erik Satie, French composer

1974 Juan Perón, Argentinian politician

1996 Margot Hemingway, model and granddaughter of Ernest Hemingway

1997 Robert (Charles Duran) Mitchum, US film actor

Events

1690 At the Battle of the Boyne, William III of England defeated the Jacobites under James II.

1751 The first volume of Diderot's Encyclopédie was published in Paris.

1838 Charles Darwin presented a paper to the Linnaean Society in London, on his theory of the evolution of species.

1863 The Battle of Gettysburg, in the American Civil War, began.

1916 The first Battle of the Somme began; more than 21,000 men were killed on the battle's first day.

1937 The telephone emergency service, 999, became operational in Britain.

1940 Guernsey was occupied by German forces.

1990 A state treaty establishing a unified economy and monetary system for East and West Germany went into effect.

1991 The Warsaw Pact, the last vestige of the Cold War-era Soviet bloc, was formally disbanded.

1994 Yassir Arafat, chairman of the Palestine Liberation Organization, entered Gaza, setting foot on Palestinian territory for the first time for 25 years.

1996 Legislation allowing doctors to perform voluntary euthanasia on the terminally ill came into effect in Australia's Northern Territory.

1996 In addition to a practical exam, learner drivers in Britain had to pass a written exam for the first time.

Births

1489 Thomas Cranmer, archbishop of Canterbury

1714 Christoph von Gluck, German composer

1862 William Henry Bragg, English physicist

1877 Hermann Hesse, German poet and novelist

1938 David Owen, British politician

1940 Kenneth Clarke, British politician

Deaths

1566 Nostradamus, French physician and astrologer

1778 Jean Jacques Rousseau, French philosopher and writer

1937 Amelia Earhart, US aviator, disappeared over the Pacific

1961 Ernest Hemingway, US novelist

1973 Betty Grable, US film actress

1977 Vladimir Nabokov, Russian novelist

1997 James ('Jimmy') Stewart, US actor

Events

1644 Oliver Cromwell defeated Prince Rupert at the Battle of Marston Moor, his first victory over the Royalists in the English Civil War.

1865 At a revivalist meeting at Whitechapel, London, William Booth formed the Salvation Army.

1900 The 2nd Olympic Games opened in Paris.

1940 The Vichy Government was set up in France, headed by Henri Pétain.

1956 Elvis Presley recorded 'Hound Dog' and 'Don't Be Cruel' in New York.

1964 President Johnson signed the US Civil Rights Bill prohibiting racial discrimination.

1990 Over a thousand Muslim pilgrims were killed when a stampede occurred in a pedestrian tunnel leading to the holy city of Mecca.

1994 Andrés Escobar, the Colombian soccer player who scored an own goal in the match that eliminated Colombia from the World Cup, was murdered on his return to Medellín.

1996 Lyle and Erik Menendez, who killed their parents in 1989, were sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole.

1997 The Bank of Thailand abandoned its attempt to support the baht, which lost 17% of its value, beginning a Southeast Asian economic crisis.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links