Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Auris 58 model not reversing automatically

Mr Auris

Hi,

This is my first post so don't know if I made any mistake. Sorry if I did.

I bought used Toyota Auris 58 model with Tiptronic transmission ( I think also called MMT) last week. It has 51000 mileage.

When I reverse my car, I change from E to R but it doesn't move automatically. I have to put pressure on accelerator. I am new driver so I don't know it is my fault or car but when put pressure, it moves so fast so if there is another car behind than I would definitely hit. So I am not parking my car in between two cars. I am scared about reversing this car. I went to local garage and technician said this is semi automatic so that's how this car works and I have to get used to it for reverse parking with caution.

But I have read somewhere that semi automatic also function same as full automatic when you reverse the car. Full automatic car reverse automatic and we have to just use brake pedal to control it unless we are not reversing in hill where we have to put pressure on accelerator. But my Auris is not moving when I put in reverse gear. Also it is not moving forward as well when it stops at signal.

Is this normal or I have to go to garage again to fix this ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

MJ

Normal automatics 'creep' forward (or back in reverse) when you take your foot off the brake.  The gearbox you have is actually a manual gearbox with an automatic clutch, and it's supposed to be smart enough to 'let it's clutch out a bit for you' when you take your foot off the brake, thus simulating 'creep'.  The owners manual for our (previously owned) Auris MMT said it should creep, and it did creep a bit, but not as good as a traditional auto, and it had a bit of a delay kicking in too.  We only owned that car for a bit over a year, and I swore the 'creep' was better when we bought it than when we sold it.  Perhaps your clutch is a bit worn or needs adjusting?  

• Like 1

What you're describing is about normal for the MMT. It doesn't function the same as a fully automatic and the car can run backwards or forwards when you first engage gear until you pick up enough revs to go in the particular direction you want to go in. You will get more used to it but it's not a great transmission and not one that I would recommend for a new driver.

Edit: Canny believe that Alan was replying to this post about the same time as me. Touche mon ami! 

• Like 2

Welcome to Toyota Owners Club. Thread moved from General Discussions to the Auris Club.

The MMT transmission does have "creep" and should engage as you release the brake pedal without having to press the throttle it won't hold the car on steep hills but on a flat surface and releasing the brakes the car should move off just like a manual transmission where the clutch is being let out , the car should compensate for wear to the clutch but the compensation is not always perfect. To get the correct creep function back the MMT transmission needs "re-initialising" with Toyota's diagnostic equipment and should take approx 1/2 an hour to complete.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alan333 said:

Normal automatics 'creep' forward (or back in reverse) when you take your foot off the brake.  The gearbox you have is actually a manual gearbox with an automatic clutch, and it's supposed to be smart enough to 'let it's clutch out a bit for you' when you take your foot off the brake, thus simulating 'creep'.  The owners manual for our (previously owned) Auris MMT said it should creep, and it did creep a bit, but not as good as a traditional auto, and it had a bit of a delay kicking in too.  We only owned that car for a bit over a year, and I swore the 'creep' was better when we bought it than when we sold it.  Perhaps your clutch is a bit worn or needs adjusting?  

10 hours ago, alan333 said:

Thanks for your reply.

10 hours ago, TomdeGuerre said:

What you're describing is about normal for the MMT. It doesn't function the same as a fully automatic and the car can run backwards or forwards when you first engage gear until you pick up enough revs to go in the particular direction you want to go in. You will get more used to it but it's not a great transmission and not one that I would recommend for a new driver.

Edit: Canny believe that Alan was replying to this post about the same time as me. Touche mon ami! 

I thinking as well that I shouldn't buy this car but didn't know at all that this MMT is mystery.

10 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

The MMT transmission does have "creep" and should engage as you release the brake pedal without having to press the throttle it won't hold the car on steep hills but on a flat surface and releasing the brakes the car should move off just like a manual transmission where the clutch is being let out , the car should compensate for wear to the clutch but the compensation is not always perfect. To get the correct creep function back the MMT transmission needs "re-initialising" with Toyota's diagnostic equipment and should take approx 1/2 an hour to complete.

Thanks..but where can I buy Toyota's diagnostic equipment ? Shall i go to authorised Toyota dealer or we can do ourselves ? 

take it to a Toyota dealer. If you have just bought it  from a trader (not a private individual) you may be able to get them to pay for it as you have certain rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 - you should raise it with the seller before going ahead & doing it though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Auris said:

Thanks..but where can I buy Toyota's diagnostic equipment ? Shall i go to authorised Toyota dealer or we can do ourselves ? 

Before we owned the Toyota with the MMT gearbox we had a Citroen with their version of the same gearbox (theirs is called EGS).  Over the couple of years we owned it the gearchange, and the creep, got a bit 'sloppy'.  I looked into resetting the box and, while it was possible if you had the diagnostic equipment, it seemed quite involved.

I never researched resetting the Toyota box but personally I'd go with Heidfirst's suggestion of getting Toyota to do it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

take it to a Toyota dealer. If you have just bought it  from a trader (not a private individual) you may be able to get them to pay for it as you have certain rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 - you should raise it with the seller before going ahead & doing it though.

shall I first go to Toyota dealer and find out how much it cost ? And than inform dealer or should inform him at first ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links