Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Door locking design error.

Graham Smith

Has anyone else noticed this error? 

When you press the lock button on your key-fob, you get the flash of indicator lights and a clunk to say that all doors are locked, right? Wrong! If, by accident, a door has been left ajar, and you haven't noticed it, you will think everything is locked, but that door isn't. This is a design fault that I took up with Toyota, and it seems that the Aygo and possibly some other models have a locking system that does not require all doors to be closed. The Avensis, on the other hand, has a different mechanism, in that if a door is not closed, you will not get the flash-and-clunk indication, so you know there's something wrong.

There's nothing you can do about this - but I urge you to all complain about this to your dealer and Toyota GB so that they may rectify it in later models. I really was amazed to find that all the people I spoke to at the dealership and at Toyota GB did not seem to be aware of this until I pointed it out.

The problem is that this could be an insurance issue - if you have a  theft from your car as a result of this happening, and the insurance company say you didn't lock up properly, they might not pay out. So - ALWAYS check all doors are properly shut before locking. It takes but a few seconds but could save you a lot of grief.

I've just tried this on my Aygo. If either a front or rear door are fully not closed (ie on the first latch position) the doors do lock.

1 minute ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I've just tried this on my Aygo. If either a front or rear door are fully not closed (ie on the first latch position) the doors do lock.

Yes - but not the open one. That means that though you think you've locked up, you've left a door open. Shouldn't happen. If a door isn't shut the remote locking shouldn't work at all. Then you'd know you'd not locked up properly.

On my previous new cars (19) the central locking wouldn't operate at the first latch stage, whereas the Aygo's does. 

We always physically check the doors are locked on both sides anyway, so the chances of leaving a door open are few and far between. 

Me too - now. On my old Honda Jazz I would know that there was a door open because nothing would happen if I pressed the button. That's how it should be, and how I expected it to be on this car until I found out it wasn't.

Guess this makes Aygo owners more susceptible to the "penny in the door handle" trick... :-(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links