Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Daylight Driving bulb/LED W21/5W question

Justhandguns

I have some questions about the Daylight Running Light bulbs W21/5W in my Yaris Icon.

Is DRL supposed to run brighter than the standard assistance light? i.e. 21W (both filaments) vs 5W (single filament) in the same bulb?

I am looking for some LED which will replaces the filament bulbs of my DRL. I tried some cheap LEDs from eBay and they seem to melt quite easily. Did I install them incorrectly or is it just the poor quality of those LEDs?  Does it matter if it is not a CANBUS bulb or not? 

I am looking for this OSRAM Premium LEDs (See here), are these more expensive ones better (in terms of reliability, not brightness) than those unbranded eBay ones? 

LED bulbs don't actually run brighter than incandescent bulbs, but operate over a broader spectrum that is more visible to the eye. Your DRL's will operate at the higher wattage (21W) during the day to ensure that your vehicle is visible to others, and then when the sidelights/position lights/headlights are turned on, will operate at the lower wattage (5W). 

Thanks, yes, that is one thing that I wanted to know, so DRL brighter, sidelight less bright. But I think in terms of LED, they actually runs brighter and have a narrower spectrum?

And yes, if anyone want to try out some W21/5W LED bulbs, make sure that they do not give you the CANBUS error on your dash. Apparently they have different resistance than incandescent bulbs and the car can see it as a defected bulb. 

Anyway, I shall continue my quest to search for a nice LED DRL bulb.

As regards LED lighting, my information was based on a conversation with a street lighting design engineer, when he was looking at the design phase for lighting requirements of our road. He corrected me when I described LED lighting as being brighter than halogen.

Seven street lights using halogen bulbs were replaced with four street lights with LED lighting modules, and provide a whiter light covering a wider area.

a single led running at the same wattage as an incandescent will produce a higher luminous flux (i.e. be brighter). However, it is rare that LEDs as straight replacements would be the same wattage as incandescents (e.g. if you go down to B&Q etc. for a replacement for a 60w incandescent you will probably get something like a 9W LED) as they then would be a substantial upgrade.

Halogen is brighter than a standard incandescent W for W but only by ~1/3.

Interestingly in checking for this I notice that B&Q are now starting to use the lumen (lm) rating  rather than W in their listing e.g. http://www.diy.com/departments/lighting/light-bulbs/b22-bayonet-cap/classic-bulbs/DIY831352.cat? Something that I would suggest should be applied to automotive legislation.

• 3 years later...

i wouldn't recommend led bulbs, unless you like adding extra resistors otherwise you will see obc errors  i have used these not lasting forever lifetime around 1 year but dont forget these https://xenons4u.co.uk/w21-5w-580-7443-dual-filament-super-white-xenon-effect-light-bulbs.html maybe i bought them off eBay at cheaper price https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321702207810 are being used all the time, but colour similar to LEd bulbs and NO ERRORS!!  

I believe that changing lighting from the existing bulb system is possibly illegal.  Maybe ok with respect to daylight running lights perhaps, but if it were me, I'd be asking my insurer before I do anything in modifying anything from the original spec.

Mick.

They are perfectly legal and non-notifiable IF they are E marked the likes of Osram and Phillips will put "For off-road use only" if not E marked

Then again the topic dates back to 2016, so the OP has probably made decisions on what to do.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, flash22 said:

They are perfectly legal and non-notifiable IF they are E marked the likes of Osram and Phillips will put "For off-road use only" if not E marked

I'm not sure that's true.  Maybe legal for use, but you are modifying the car from original, so therefore notifiable to your insurance company.  Even if they're happy, it's still best to tell them.

Mick.

By that thinking if you put pattern part disc's and pads on a car you are changing its factory specification that makes it a brake job notifiable, change tyre brand that's notifiable too

Back to the bulbs,  if the bulbs are E marked then they are complaint product and manufactured to/above a set specification

Flash, I don't disagree and I'm not arguing about changing things generally.

It's just that changing from one sort of lighting to another sort of lighting, is changing the spec, and is therefore notifiable to your insurance company. E marks are besides the point.  Changing from filament bulbs to LED is a big change and changes the specifications.

Take the argument to extreme.  Say you have a 1980ish vehicle, and fit E marked LED lighting.  Is that legal?

Mick.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links