Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen 4 review

barrycoll

A rather detailed 'grown-up' review of the new Prius, is quite analytical, but not in a boyzone/topgear way, and is rather positive about most aspects.

Perhaps the rear design detail leaves a fair bit left to  wish for , and the rather un-European interior white splashes, but over all 4 strong stars....although second to the Audi Etron in the e-vehicle stakes (£35k!)

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/toyota/prius

• Like 1

I've read so many revues now that I often wonder if they all have a different vehicle to each other ! at least that revue actually mentioned the difference the wheel size makes to mpg whereas a large number do not. I'm fairly sure 90% of test cars are on 17" wheels although a good many still report excellent mpg.

One professional revue even gave the Prius transmission as 'a sliding metal belt between two apposing cones'

I've grown tired of so many revues saying the car is slow, but slow compared to what ? it's 0-60 compares with dozens of everyday cars

Interestingly a while back we timed our gen 2 with a stopwatch from 0-60, best ever was 8.9 seconds but quite a few easily below 10. The difference seemed to be whether the engine was actually running when the accelerator was floored .if not then there was a momentary pause as the engine fired before the car shot forward,

Still waiting for news of my Business edition+ 15" wheels ordered early August

That accounts for the complaint from the journo's that hybrid gearboxes whine at speed.  I think they truly hear this, because of the image they have is of whirring belts abrading against cones, a stronger factor than their mechanical knowledge. 

There is a glowing report in this weeks AutoExpress. 

They have taken one on their fleet, an Excel with the 15" wheels.  The only thing they have a complaint about is the internal reversing beeper, something I will have turned off before I pick mine up.

5 hours ago, Harters said:

...The only thing they have a complaint about is the internal reversing beeper, something I will have turned off before I pick mine up.

Yes - on the Gen 2, you could only turn that off with wire cutters!

As you are doing, I had my dealer disable it on my Gen 3 and my current Gen 4 Excel.  It's even more annoying when you have parking sensors, as the Excel has and I had added to my Gen 3.

• Like 1

When I was buying my plugin, the salesperson wasn't aware that the reversing bleep could be turned off (to a single bleep).  Not surprising that motoring journalists don't know when MrT staff don't know either.

1 minute ago, johalareewi said:

When I was buying my plugin, the salesperson wasn't aware that the reversing bleep could be turned off (to a single bleep).  Not surprising that motoring journalists don't know when MrT staff don't know either.

Why am I not surprised?

About 10 years ago, a Gen 1 Prius owner on the Yahoo Prius-UK Group went to a dealer to ask for Wiper Blades for his 2001 Prius - to be told the Prius had only been sold since 2004!  He asked to speak to the Parts Manager, to be told he was speaking to the Parts Manager.  He then almost frog-marched the guy to the boot of his car and showed him the Prius Badge!

• Like 1

On 10/11/2016 at 10:52 AM, Harters said:

On 10/11/2016 at 10:52 AM, Harters said:

There is a glowing report in this weeks AutoExpress. 

They have taken one on their fleet, an Excel with the 15" wheels.  The only thing they have a complaint about is the internal reversing beeper, something I will have turned off before I pick mine up.

I noticed this on one of their 2016 Prius revues which quotes: combined mpg is a claimed 94.1 on cars with 15-inch wheels while 17-inch alloys decrease this to 85.6. Meanwhile co2 emissions are 70g/km (15-inch wheels) and 76g/km (17-inch wheels), which means zero road tax and all models, whatever size of wheel is fitted, are London Congestion Charge exempt.   

The latter is not correct as unfortunately cars fitted with the 17" wheels  emit 76g/km of CO2 which is just one point over as it's vehicles  which emit 75g/km or less of CO2 that are exemption free ( currently)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links