Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dash cam fitting.

exmedman

I have just bought a dash cam for my new Yaris. I have tested it -- it records and plays back okay on my PC.

I would appreciate some advice on best place to attach it - and running the power wire. I don't want to start taking the car to bits :huh:

Thank you for any tips that will make the job easy for me.

Gerry.

I've just put my dash cam on our new Excel. I mounted the camera (suction pad mounting) to the left of the rear view mirror. The cable was ran from the aux power socket along the bottom of the glove box on the passenger side. And then ran it behind the seal on the door frame. It just pushed in with a credit card without removing anything. The cable can then be tucked under the roof lining by just easing it down. Might be a bit different if car has panoramic roof window. Cable can be secured out of site under glove box with PVC tape.

hope this helps

Thanks Brian,  I will try that tomorrow. I have panoramic roof, may have to use a bit more tape :smile:

Bear in mind that leaving the Dashcam permanently fixed will leave it visible to scrotes. I'm informed they'll smash a window to nick anything over a couple of quid in value they can see inside a car.

14 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

Bear in mind that leaving the dashcam permanently fixed will leave it visible to scrotes. I'm informed they'll smash a window to nick anything over a couple of quid in value they can see inside a car.

So don't park in Liverpool, or Brighton... or lots of other cities. IT WILL be stolen..(been there lost stereos)

Thanks for replies, i live in quite a safe area --- but there are lots of moron drivers :sad:

I will though remove camera when left for any length of time (just a clip holder).

I am just about to start setting it up (just finishing charging the camera battery)

Can anyone advise on whether loop recording is best or continuous ?

Can I leave the display on when mounted behind the mirror, or should it be off ?

Any other tips ?

Thanks.

I for sure will at least remove it and put it in the glove box for short stops, but at night, I just bring it back to home. The thing is, some thieves do think that as long as you have the suction cup in there, you either have a Satnav or a car cam sitting in your car. My car got broken in once (old Aygo/107), but they didn't get anything except my trolley pound coin and some coppers, they did not even take my 5yr old Satnav at that time! They usually look things up in gloveboxes and anything behind the sun visors.

Loop recording is advised so that the new overwrites the old when the memory card is full/

Format the memory card about once/month, preferably in the camera. Otherwise download a gui formatter and do it on your p.c..

Is there any text on the camera front? If so, cover it with black tape. (assuming the camera is black).

Removing the camera depends on where you leave the car. However, nowhere is safe these days, there are thieving scumbags almost everywhere! It also depends on how "stealthy" the camera is. Hence the black tape idea.

It's too late now, you appear to have a camera with a Battery. Those with super capacitors are said to be better. Batteries don't like heat/cold extremes and are charging continuously when the camera is powered up.

Thanks for your replies guys. I couldn't centre mount it without having dangling power supply lead.

I have put it on the left -- it seems okay there -- seems to cover everything, and it easy to hide wire

down side of door and under 'glove comp' the excess wire fits in one of the cup holders, everything hidden.

There are so many features on the damned thing so I have just enabled the basic 5 minute loop recording.

I may have a play around with other settings later. :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links