Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Disc Hub Colour

robs

:o Hi, iv got a 2003 celica and have just had all four brake discs replaced under warranty cos the silver coloured hubs had rust spots/stains on them! The front discs look great with new silver hubs but the rear have been replaced with black hubs on the discs which look crap! Parts manager is telling me its the new type on discs now! Any thoughts?????? Pleeease!

Get some silver caliper paint and carefully paint them making sure you dont get any on the disc itself or on the wheel mounting face.

I must say though that having the discs replaced because its got a bit of rust on a non functional part seems a little extreme, I'm surprised they agreed to it. I would expect that portion to rust, its never cleaned by the pads and they are only steel with no treatment normally.

:) cheers for paint idea as i wasnt sure on heat resistance! Agree on not really worth changing discs as it will probably happen again, but it was all the dealers suggestion- probably a way of generating work they could charge toyota uk for! Wish id said no to it now!!!

Replacement is very extreme indeed. My 2000 discs rust up aswell.....only because its been raining the night before or somat. Dissapears when you go for a spin!! :bye:

No not the discs themselves rusting but the hub that the wheels bolt to! They are very visable through the alloys spokes! Cheers anyway! Think rusting hubs is common though!!!!!

rusting hubs (on the rear) is a known and very common issue with the 2000+ Celica. It is also a warranty job. I've had 4 replaced in 12 months but have now gone for the smooth hammerite finish. It'll dry within the hour but ideally wait overnight before really using the car.

With the calliper paint (which will dry within the hour) you must really wait overnight before using the car but you can wack the wheel back on (carefully) pretty much straight away and not the 4 hours as is often suggested so long as ya alloys are the open type.

Habu

:thumbsup: Cheers for that info! Guess i might end up using hammerite if its just gonna keep happenning especially as Mr T doesn't seem interested in helping! not impressed they didnt think to tell me they were putting black ones on cos silver ones looked great even with the very slight discolouration. And to think i only accepted their offer because they said they wanted the car to look perfect??

:P Spoke to Mr T and others today and am reliably informed that new black hubs are being used to hopefully resolve/reduce the rusting problem! Gonna paint silver over them now just need to decide whether to use Hammerite smooth(heat resistance is an unknown) or caliper paint(apparently a knightmare to use)! Decisions decisions?! Thanks to everyone that replied!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
:thumbsup: HI, just thought id let everyone know my new black hubs have started to show signs of rust stains already! So have now painted them with silver hammerite smooth. Will let you know how long it lasts before rust starts!??

Hi,

I've just come back from Wilco's and Hamerite now to a "HEAT PAINT" matt black which will take up to 600 °C. Does anybody know what sort of temperatures calipers and hubs get up to ? Is 600 °C enough ?

Cheers,

Errm just checked and I used the normal stuff, but been told its ok to use. If you are using the heat paint you have no worries using it and hammerite will last ages m8 :thumbsup:

Hi,

Bought the high temp Hammerite from Wilcos for £4.60 ish, very impressed, its alot thinner than the normal stuff but covers well and soaks into the rusty bits. I was so impressed I painted most other things while I was under there !!!

Recommended :thumbsup:

best to get some hammerite paint on em then once youve done a layer sand it till its smooth then apply a second coat

will be doing mine at the weekend but will be sanding them down first and then applying metal polish to see how that comes out should be good with any luck cars gonna be bling bling lookin soon

• 3 weeks later...
:thumbsup: Hi everyone just to let you know i painted my hubs with hammerite smooth about a month ago. No probs whatsoever with heat resistance or rusting! I would definately recommend doing this!!!!!!!!

ive just had mine done as well front and back, they also stuck new green stuffs on the front foc which was nice :D :D . i didnt think the black hubs looked too bad at the back, but if they are gonny rust as well i think the hamerite will be coming out

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links