Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Econolight

JohnP1961

Is a Pre-August 2000 Avensis 1.8 GS Liftback supposed to have the Econolight feature? Just wondering if it has and the bulb needs changing because I've never seen it lit up

Yes the bulb probably needs changing if it is not lighting. The Econ light should be on all the time when the engine is running unless the throttle is press under heavy load.

• Like 1

Well...you learn something every day...I've had the car since it was 9 months old and I've never seen it lit as far as I can remember. I've got bulbs,(I think)....so its just two screws at the top of the display to romove the cowling...then three screws at the bottom, (with the steering wheel lowered?) to get at the back of the instrument panel?

4 hours ago, JohnP1961 said:

Well...you learn something every day...I've had the car since it was 9 months old and I've never seen it lit as far as I can remember. I've got bulbs,(I think)....so its just two screws at the top of the display to romove the cowling...then three screws at the bottom, (with the steering wheel lowered?) to get at the back of the instrument panel?

Correct.

Look at photos from the following post:-

The bulbs are capless R286.

Another link - 

Look at my post where took photos of the replacing the bulb behind the instruments.

Got the Econolight working...yippee. Just wondering what the other two bulbs next to it are....one is the ABS...no idea about the other. Also, there are eight bulbs in the bottom left hand corner...I know some are for Oil, Battery/Alternator, Engine Management, Seat Belt, Open Door, Parking Brake,.....are the rest supposed to be working?

Think I've worked out that I should have a Dipped Beam light showing in the bottom left, that needs a new bulb then and thats seven out of the eight bulbs on the bottom left, identified. I've worked out what the three on the right are for...Econolight, ABS and Fog Lights. I would have just changed them all but I only bought ten bulbs...and wanted to keep some back to replace the heater control lights....but for the life of me, I cant get that facia off by just pulling off the dials and slider button. Looks like I'm going to have to go down the Haynes route and take out the glovebox, etc, to get at it

John. When I changed the heater bulbs, then later replaced the damaged heater facia, it was quite simple. Since I no longer own the car, I cannot do a practical demonstration, and you live too far for me to be there to help you. I am looking in my photo archives on my back-up drives to see if I have more photos. 

I will be back when I found more info.

Konrad

• Like 1

Many thanks Konrad, I'm sure there'll be a way. When you did yours, was the whole heater control assembly out of the car before you pulled the facia off?

Right. I will re-post the photos with descriptions. This is for showing the bulb and facia replacement. The facia was replaced a week later when I found a scrapped car with all the parts I needed to replace broken trim.  

I undid the screws holding the heater control panel, to see why the heater control knob harder to remove. Thought there was something behind retaining but there was not.
P1050492.thumb.JPG.e6b431115870f6af3e15b65bf7925652.JPG

Then removed the fan control which needs more force.P1050494.thumb.JPG.e933137beda0544b469c874381ccc4c2.JPG

The following photo shows the facia after removal. It has tabs that hook over protrusions above and below. 

P1050505.thumb.JPG.df8d94e68546d14c8d352d7eafbf3789.JPG

Note the two lower protrusions. Carefully lever the facia tabs from behind with a flat screwdriver or similar.

P1050496.thumb.JPG.1aeeda77c4bf35a29bb1c584ea2ab3b6.JPG

You can see how easy it is to access the bulbs with the facia removed. P1050503.thumb.JPG.33a56e0e976986ceee31dd74bc4c40a7.JPG

The control panel re-assembledP1050506.thumb.JPG.ed667621ea80c48be4ec35b1d90f242a.JPG

The original damaged facia.P1050507.thumb.JPG.5fbc91c2efbc0a911e7e69d1530d192c.JPG 

The replacement facia I changed a week later - P1050511.thumb.JPG.3c097f6b4242044ea755abf89fccee69.JPG

Notice the white paint scraped off the controls. It makes them brighter.P1050512.thumb.JPG.2a012b0c4f05a36d63ce21f5906ef53c.JPG

The heater facia was damaged when I first had the car back in 2003 and only replaced it 2015. 
The tabs holding the facia have to be accessed from behind to release it from the control panel, which means the control panel has to be unscrewed from the dash. There is enough movement even though the direction control cable is still attached. 
I have attached a PDF - go to AC-105 and after for info on the heater controls - AC106.pdf

Konrad   

Edited by Konrad C
Rearrange photo

Oops. I should have posted in - 

Since it about changing instrument bulbs for the Mk1 pre-face lift Avensis it is still relevant. 

I thought I'd change the bulb on the heater display if it meant you could get access by just pulling the control dial and slider switch button off, it seems I was mistaken....Tried unclipping the catches, still no joy. If it actually means you have to somehow get the heater control unit out....I'll leave it. Its not worth it for one bulb

5 hours ago, JohnP1961 said:

I thought I'd change the bulb on the heater display if it meant you could get access by just pulling the control dial and slider switch button off, it seems I was mistaken....Tried unclipping the catches, still no joy. If it actually means you have to somehow get the heater control unit out....I'll leave it. Its not worth it for one bulb

Sorry that you was not successful John. Even though I am not a mechanic, I did a few things on the car to try and keep it as good condition. Maybe I have good understanding of the car. Must be the way my brain is wired! :wacko:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links