Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aircon re-gas?

fordulike

Just wondering at what point other members have had their AYGO's aircon re-gassed, if at all. I use mine almost every day, and at the four and a half year point is still icy cold.

Deciding if it's worth getting Toyota to re-gas it at the next service, or whether it's false economy?

Why spend money on something that's working fine.??..it will let you know when a re-gas is required.

I'd leave well alone.

Toyota aircon systems do seem very gas-tight compared to some makes. Neither my 2009 Auris or my wifes 2012 Avensis have ever had their aircon regassed but still work very well. A friend of mine in Cyprus has a 1993 Toyota Paseo, as far as we can establish its never had its aircon regassed but still blows pretty cold at 24 years old! Contrast that to my 2007 Skoda Octavia which needed its aircon topped up at least every other year (it had a very small leak I think).

Mines an '08, at its service this year the technician was surprised how well the A/C was working, 7'c! It may have been recharged by a previous owner? But I have no idea and would doubt it unless Toyota said it was necessary or something happened...

You could always use a Groupon/wowcher to get it re-gassed/serviced? Rather than paying Toyota prices...

Thanks for the replies peeps. I'll save a bit of dough and not get it done.

The Toyota dealer on my last service, sent me a video of the engine bay, whilst the cameraman voiced over about the aircon losing 10% of gas a year.. blah blah blah... Guess they were just trying to get me to part with more cash.

close all of the vents but one have the aircon turned on, fan on full and recirculate

and using a thermal thermometer point it inside the vent and take a reading it should

be around 4°c to 7°c if the ac is working properly

• Like 1

I used to have to have a yaris I had re-gassed every year but since having aygos and using it regularly I've not had any issues.

if aircon isnt used on a regular basis the seals can go dry and start to leak.

Yeah, I use mine all the time, even in the winter (Works great for clearing misted windows quickly! And also for slowing the car down more when coasting!) and have never had to regas it; My dad only ever uses his on really hot days in summer because he's worried about the amount of extra fuel it uses and he has to regas his every 1-2 years!

28 minutes ago, Cyker said:

My dad only ever uses his on really hot days in summer because he's worried about the amount of extra fuel it uses and he has to regas his every 1-2 years!

Hee hee, probably false economy. The money he saves on fuel, goes on a re-gas lol.

• Like 1

You're so right... I mean, he drives a diesel Corolla Verso! The AC makes virtually no difference to the fuel use whether it's on or not!

• Like 1

He's lucky its not a later car with the R1234yf  gas which is around four times more expensive than the previous R134a gas. Some manufacturers started using the new gas from 2013, with it becoming compulsory for all new cars sold in the EU from this year. For example,  Hyundai began using it in the i10 from 2014, and think my Aygo has it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links