Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 auto folding mirrors

andy_evans44

Ok after spending a few hours on this today and gave up trying to trace the cables from the door actuator, I had one last go and got it working by using the wiring legend supplied on the previous page.

heres some info for 2014/15 RAV4’s any question please gimme a shout. In the end it was really easy and a 15 min job had I had the information so hopefully this will help others.

59186294-1CB7-4A87-86E3-14937480F72E.thumb.jpeg.bc37da66c593296193f4895d553998e4.jpeg
CCF36ECB-6CC3-44DB-98A6-15DD8CC18B89.thumb.jpeg.cac19175ce57d351f561158f94630550.jpeg
0741435C-F783-4F1F-A084-6A286FDADF66.thumb.jpeg.13756af19353cd74f0490edf72a8b35e.jpeg
1CF6652C-4152-4DA0-80B4-AC97B18F3882.thumb.jpeg.51609626794c436e55b8d24bbaaaeac8.jpeg
DE45BBD9-EFDC-438C-BB7F-572DD6D3851F.thumb.jpeg.72b45a13408cbf1ba37934506e85de28.jpeg
4B37F571-C5BD-4FCD-8B8B-7D5973525F36.thumb.jpeg.410d3f1c94194eeb1162d3894a58c2b9.jpeg
image.thumb.jpg.3f63cc8854a3a60b0d20c3df0ca1da70.jpg
Hi hoping to have a look at mine this week end, what is the perminant live going to? Did you disconnect the Battery first?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, andy_evans44 said:

Hi hoping to have a look at mine this week end, what is the perminant live going to? Did you disconnect the battery first?
Thanks in advance

Hi Andy,

I had the door card off trying to find what the permanent live went to alas to no avail. I suspected that it must provide power for the door locks given that the doors are unlocked from a shutdown vehicle. However when trying to trace the wires, I wont go into detail but I managed to blow the 20A fuse for the drivers electric window through a slip of a screwdriver so I assume the permanent live feeds that! :) Anyway you dont have to go through my pain and its all there for you :D

No mate I didnt see a need to disconnect the Battery for the install as you're not really doing anything that can cause problems as long as you do things logically.

ie.

1. Remove the dash panel that contains the switch by gently pulling from the bottom on each side of the section until it releases and release all the way up and take it off as per my pic

2. Remove the door sill trim to allow removal of the drivers plastic kickplate, just prise it upwards starting from the rear of the trim working towards the door hidges as it were. Be careful once you have prised enough to release it as it will be still attached to the drivers plastic kickplate and I found the best option was to stop there, then...

3. Remove the drivers kickplate, poke your head around beside the accelerator pedal and you will see a plastic nut thats holding the kickplate in place, remove that and pull the kickplate and door sill trim which you have already partially released towards the rear of the car and viola!!

4. Now temporarily stick the module and wiring into the opening in the dash where the mirror switch was to allow you to feed the grey/pink/green wires down through the dash following the wiring loom to the drivers kickplate.

5. Identify the plug from my pics that contain the live[grey] and lock/unlock pulses [black] and unplug it.

6. The next step is up to you. You can either solder your module wires onto the relevant wires on the plug or use the provided scotchlok connectors. I prefer to solder as it makes for a better connection and is far easier to achieve the connections and keep things neat. I used a knife and slit up the plastic tape covering the loom of the plug you just removed to give me a bit of leeway with the wires.

7. Solder or scotlock the permanent live to the pink module wire, if soldered now tape it up with insulating tape.

8. solder or scotchlok each impulse wire one at a time and tape off, try to stagger the connections you make as you will find it much easier to solder or get in about with the scotchloks.

9. Now....Fanfare/Drumroll... Unplug the mirror switch and plug the module loom into it.

10. Take the mirror switch plug you just removed and plug it into the socket of the module loom

11. Plug the 8 pin module plug with the grey wire hanging from it and plug directly into the module

12. BOOM! you're done

13. Test it with your key fob if it seems **** for tit, press in the mirror switch as it can interfere with the logic it seems, so never touch it again once you have your auto folding mirrors

14. Reassemble all you trim dash in reverse of removal

15. enjoy...

Hope that helps just gimme a shout if you need any more info, happy to help.

Paul

• Like 1

Thanks for being so informative and helpull it's given me the confidence to give a go hopefully on the week end. It's a possibility that the live may also be for the hazard lights in the mirrors as the wiring diagram that I posted also had a grey wire for the hazards.. long as it works though I will be happy. It's currently very annoying that you have to fold the mirrors in before switching the ignition off. Firstly I forget and have to switch the ignition back on to fold the mirrors and secondly as you exit the car you are blind the the traffic approaching from behind. Altho living in the south Wales valleys and the streets are narrow it's a good feature to have the folding mirrors. Thanks again will post when I have completed

37 minutes ago, andy_evans44 said:

. It's currently very annoying that you have to fold the mirrors in before switching the ignition off. Firstly I forget and have to switch the ignition back on to fold the mirrors and secondly as you exit the car you are blind the the traffic approaching from behind.

You're welcome Andy, Yeah I know I feel your pain, thats exactly why I got one of these modules. Didnt think of checking your drawing for what the grey permanent live did but the mirror indicators makes perfect sense.

Good luck mate

You're welcome Andy, Yeah I know I feel your pain, thats exactly why I got one of these modules. Didnt think of checking your drawing for what the grey permanent live did but the mirror indicators makes perfect sense.
Good luck mate
Hi just fitted the module all working fine, was much easier than I thought it would be. One question, you say need to keep the mirror button pressed in? When my button is kept in the mirrors fold in on the ignition on. So is your button set in or out continuous? That's for you help

@andy_evans44 @Leckytech

My mirror switch works exactly the way it should after I installed the controller i.e. button depressed - mirrors out, button pressed - mirrors in. You can operate mirrors in normal fashion when needed (getting through narrow places etc.) providing ignition is on, obviously 😁

2 hours ago, andy_evans44 said:

Hi just fitted the module all working fine, was much easier than I thought it would be. One question, you say need to keep the mirror button pressed in? When my button is kept in the mirrors fold in on the ignition on. So is your button set in or out continuous? That's for you help

Button out mate. Told ya was easy :) 

2 hours ago, Kos_ta said:

@andy_evans44 @Leckytech

My mirror switch works exactly the way it should after I installed the controller i.e. button depressed - mirrors out, button pressed - mirrors in. You can operate mirrors in normal fashion when needed (getting through narrow places etc.) providing ignition is on, obviously 😁

@Kos_ta Hello pal, press your button in so the mirrors fold then get out and lock your car, the mirrors will fold out so its **** for tit. :D

• Like 1

Well it's all working fine and I'm very happy with the results. Thank you all it's been much appreciated, exiting the car is also much safer. Thanks

• Like 2

10 hours ago, andy_evans44 said:

Well it's all working fine and I'm very happy with the results. Thank you all it's been much appreciated, exiting the car is also much safer. Thanks

Great News Andy, for the life of me I cant understand why Toyota did what they did, very short sighted of them. Its the same with parking sensors. I have a rear camera but every other car I have had a rear camera on also came with sensors. Its  downright dangerous as when the camera is a bit blurry I have to keep reminding myself that there no sensors and dont even get me started on the missus my ears are bleeding with calls for getting parking sensors fitted........next project :laugh:

15 hours ago, Leckytech said:

for the life of me I cant understand why Toyota did what they did, very short sighted of them. 

I think I might have an idea why. This was widely discussed on one of Russian RAV4 forums and lot of people say that in extremely low temperatures if you have this feature it knackers mirrors motors/mechanisms on opening the car after it's been parked overnight. 

Totally agree about parking sensors though, luckily for me the first owner got them installed by the dealer when he ordered the car.

16 hours ago, Leckytech said:

getting parking sensors fitted........next project :laugh:

And that would be a doddle if the rear bumper on yours fitted the way it fitted on MK3 you won't even need to take it off.

8 hours ago, Kos_ta said:

And that would be a doddle if the rear bumper on yours fitted the way it fitted on MK3 you won't even need to take it off.

Im guessing mines wont be like the MK3 then :) Nothing is ever easy.....for me lol

• 2 weeks later...

Just note to think about when fitting aftermarket parking sensors. My dad purchased a Mercedes last year that didn't have parking sensors on, Mercedes said they will fit them. Now they have been fitted there is no visuall display unit to show the individual sensors, just a sounding aid. So this means when reversing into areas where there is items to both sides of the vehicle it's continually beeps as it's picking up close proximitys to the rear bumber sides of the car... so basically the sensors they fitted is a waist of time unless there is nothing to the sides of the vehicle. There probably many different systems about but just a note to think about before you dive in to the project

Think the majority of rear parking sensor systems are ultrasonic and don't link into the rear camera if there is one fitted. The same with Toyota.

My RAV4 came with genuine front and rear sensors, which also has a on /off switch in the centre front console next to where the cigar outlet is and the heated seats switch.  Came with a Toyota manual, so I know they are genuine Toyota.  Again, it's a shame the did not come with at least a wee monitor for the front ones, if not the rear also.

I bet if I knew the actual make and model of them, there is probably an outlet somewhere for a screen, as I have had sensors fitted in other cars and they nearly always come with a screen or at least is a option. (Something like the photo attached, can get even more discrete ones that are smaller)

I must admit that my front and rear Toyota sensors have performed excellently and have never let me down and work well with the Toyota reversing camera.

Screenshot_20180224-085255.png

Think the majority of rear parking sensor systems are ultrasonic and don't link into the rear camera if there is one fitted. The same with Toyota.

I don't mean connect to the camera, but that cars that come fitted from manufacture now have some visual aid too such as bars on the dash somwhere that represent the distance of each sensor. If you don't have the visual idea the side sensors pick up and have no idea of distance behind the vehicle. I have seen some aftermarket systems that has small bar of lights to represent each sensor.

2 minutes ago, andy_evans44 said:

I don't mean connect to the camera, but that cars that come fitted from manufacture now have some visual aid too such as bars on the dash somwhere that represent the distance of each sensor. If you don't have the visual idea the side sensors pick up and have no idea of distance behind the vehicle. I have seen some aftermarket systems that has small bar of lights to represent each sensor.

Some do, some don't.

Our 2015 Hyundai and my sister's 2017 Hyundai, which both have rear parking sensors as part of the standard spec, don't have visual warnings, only audible. Often the factory systems you describe have front and rear sensors, which makes a visual representation of which sensor is detecting something more useful.

We've had rear parking sensors on our vehicles since 2007 (six new cars) and haven't had any issue with the sensors being ultrasonic without visual representation.

• Like 1

Some do, some don't.
Our 2015 Hyundai and my sister's 2017 Hyundai, which both have rear parking sensors as part of the standard spec, don't have visual warnings, only audible. Often the factory systems you describe have front and rear sensors, which makes a visual representation of which sensor is detecting something more useful.
We've had rear parking sensors on our vehicles since 2007 (six new cars) and haven't had any issue with the sensors being ultrasonic without visual representation.

I have not experienced many cars with parking sensors but my dads seem to reach max beep quite early, so say reversing into a space between 2cars as the car begins to enter the space the max beeps begin as it's picking up from the sides so have no idea of distance behind. From you guys experiences would you say it's correct or maybe something wrong with the system?

I think most work the same, more or less just like you mention.

I think people who have them have to take the time to educate themselves with the particular sensors in their car.

When I bought my RAV4, I spent about 20 minutes with the salesman walking all round the car coming from various different angles, so that I ensured they worked properly.  I also parked forwards and backwards etc.

I know exactly what each and every beep means.....however, they are only a added tool, the key person in these scenarios is the driver, his eyes, ears and his feet when controlling the car 😁

You either trust them or not...if not, turn them off or get them disconnected.

• Like 1

Most systems are triggered by obstacles at the rear side. For example, our cars are garaged - one reversed in and one driven in, and when reversing the one out, it detects the door frame as the car passes, and when reversing the other in, the sensors do the same. 

Might suggest that your father asks whether the sensitivity of his system can be adjusted.

• 1 year later...

I have not have my Rav4 2019 more than 3 days and somehow I must have stopped the operation of folding wing mirrors when engine is switched on or off. I am away on business so do not have access to my owners manual.

I went to owners website, downloaded the pdf version, went to the page for folding wing mirrors and it says to just push them, seems manual is not updated for 2019 model.

I can see the buttons to manually open or close the mirrors but would like to know the sequence to do this automatically.

Also programming the electric seat to set A or B program does not seem to work to how described in manual, what am I doing wrong.

Cheers for any advise.

Are you sure you downloaded the owners manual for models from 03/19?

Owner.thumb.jpg.18c741552c19cdb5a2c159cf0035a429.jpg

It is what comes up in my sign in owner area.

Toyota 2019RAV4 HV      Owner's Manual    (OM0r010U)

Owner.jpg