Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New owner, new engine?!

Badmiker

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a Gen3 Rav4 (2006/07) but I've heard horror stories about the head gaskets on the d4d engine. I know that Toyota were good about replacing engines under warranty; is there any way to tell whether a car has had it's engine replaced? 

Anything else I need to be aware of looking at a car of this age & mileage?

Thanks!

Provided they have your registration number, a Toyota dealer shoul be able to say what warranty work a car has had done. 

The goodwill arrangement for affected engines was for 7 years or 111,846 miles from first registration, whichever occurred first. So a 2006 Rav4 will be out of scope now.

Thanks for that. I spoke to two local dealers, the first gave a good impression of a rabbit caught in the headlights. Second one was very helpful and was able to tell me that the engine was replaced in 2012. 

Is there a warranty on the replacement engines?

If there was any warranty, it would have been 12 months.

Great. I really need something which isnt going to cost me big bills for the next year...

The car looks great but the second engine is now nearing the 60k miles when issues seem to start appearing. It'd be fine if the 3/4 engine solved the problems but there's enough people had problems with them that it seems like there's a fundamental problem with them sooting up. 

So; is a CRV or X3 a better bet....

T180's are the worst, steer well clear of them. 

1 hour ago, Badmiker said:

So; is a CRV or X3 a better bet....

You would need to visit the respective owner forums.

Thanks FB for your help, and AM for your advice. 

It's a real shame; fabulous cars and perfect for what I need but I really cannot take a risk on the engine. If there was any way to be sure of the engine then I'd leap at it but it seems like, even with the replacement engines, things go wrong with little warning. 

Thing to bear in mind is that with the increasing emissions equipment being fitted to diesels, this has affected reliabllity.

The Honest John reviews of the CRV and the X3 of a similar vintage show that both cars in diesel form have problems - the X3 having the N47 diesel which is known for timing chain issues/failure: 

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/honda/cr-v-2002/?section=good

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/bmw/x3-e83-2004/?section=good

I bought an XT3 in 2010 with 15,000 on the clock. At 45,000 the engine had head gasket problems and after a bit of hassle, I had a 3/4 replacement. My Rav now has 116,000 on the clock and I tow a caravan across France every year and have never had a problem. I did have the clutch replaced at the same time the engine was done. 

I have my Rav serviced every 10,000 by My Toyota and the only comment they have made is that the rear springs have some rust starting to show.

So.....

I can now be an official forum member as I bought the car, along with a decent warranty.

I am now the proud owner of a 2006 XT3 with just over 100k miles on the clock and FTSH. 

All looks good; I'll keep an eye on oil and water (and tyres). Wish me luck!

One question: I read that the 4.3 rear door strap improves the door opening: how easy are these to come by? Breakers the best option?

On 25/01/2018 at 6:06 PM, Badmiker said:

So.....

I can now be an official forum member as I bought the car, along with a decent warranty.

I am now the proud owner of a 2006 XT3 with just over 100k miles on the clock and FTSH. 

All looks good; I'll keep an eye on oil and water (and tyres). Wish me luck!

One question: I read that the 4.3 rear door strap improves the door opening: how easy are these to come by? Breakers the best option?

Have a read of this post...  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links