Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Jap Diesel Engine

NDR008

Hi, for economic and cash reasons,

I am gona substitute the 2E engine for a japaneese import engine.

Here we get a hell lot of 1.5 TD Toyota diesel engines, and man do they accelerate fast!

Anyhow, Hopefully, i plan to increase the bost, and somehow add an intercooler somewhere (I've seen it done).

What I wanted to know is the engine number of diesel engines, so i learn a bit about them before going out searching and dealing. ;)

In the days of 2E engines, the diesel engine options for the equivalent models are likely to be a 1.8 litre unit, the 1C. Although, I don't recall any of the 1C coupled with a turbo charger. The sister unit, the 2.0 litre 2C unit had couple of turbo charged variations.

The 1.5 turbo unit you are talking about must be the 1N-T unit.

Sounds like quite an interesting project. Keep us posted with the progress.

Is that the only 1.5 Turbo Diesel engine? Don't look too impressive from its specs, how can it be so well spoken of?

I think that is the only 1.5 diesel unit.

Spec wise, you can't compare with the modern diesel engines like the latest 1.4 common rail unit 1ND-TV since the 1N unit came out on the market more than 10 years ago. People often talk about horse power but the torque is more important, at the end of the day, torque moves the car.

Also another point to note is that the 1N unit was usually coupled with smaller cars, such as Tercel which is much lighter so little tweak on them cars the improvements can be significant, however if you shove that into slightly bigger cars like the Corolla or Carina it could be totally different story.

I agree that the 1N-T was on light cars like Corsa/Tercel,

but, my Heavy corolla, which exists with 4A-GE engine, is running on a 2E. I think the 2E engine is quite week, so i think the 1N-T should outperforme it, some more acceleration, better uphill power, and lower top speed.

But i don't know to what extent will this be so, and still the car wont be of any particular performance in my opinion.

I would really wish to put a 4E-FTE or 4A-GE but, petrol is TOO expensive here, and insurance/lisence - impossible.

The diesel engine i still have to check with the agency on costs of insuring.

(I cannot even insure the car on my name, because cars older then 10 years need a 21+ person to insure, so i will have to insure on my name and of dad).

I got some more details:

2E:

SOHC 3valves/cylinder (12Valve)

Engine capacity 1295cc

Max BHP (approximately): 74@6200 / 65@6000 / 82@6000

Max Torque (approximately): 76@4200 / 72@3800 / 77@5200

(I don't know why i found those 3 values for max BHP and torque).

1N-T (the diesel engine):

SOHC 2valves/cylinder (8Valve)

Engine capacity 1453

Max BHP (approximately): 67@4700BHP

Max Torque (approximately): 96@2600

So my opinion:

I dislike the engine because it is SOHC and only 8 valve. Also the car develops less BHP then the current 2E engine.

What is nice, the diesel engine actualy develops a great torque at only

2600 rpm.

Ideal rpm range is more or less the same:

Petrol range ~ 2000rpm (4200 - 6200rpm)

Diesel range ~ 2100rpm (2600 - 4700rpm)

From all this it can be concluded:

Diesel engine runs best below 4700rpm (while our 2E engine gives the best performance above 4200rpm), meaning that the diesel engine should have a better acceleration power, and also, it start accelerating earlier then the 2E petrol engine.

However once on the high geas, as the engine surpasses the 4200rpm, the engine doesn't actualy develope anymore power, so more or less at that rpm it will reach the top speeds.

(I hope all this is right, if not someone, please correct me).

I personally like torquey engines. I think if you were to go for a diesel, you got to forget about sporty driving unless you tweak the turbo somehow...

Good ole 2E engines. They suffer from sludge if oil change is neglected but I think it is a good engine to learn things on.

If you want the performance, then best bet is go for the 4A-GE unit or similar. I was thinking whether it will be possible to squeeze in 2 litre diesel unit, the 2C-T. If that is possible, it will give both performance and economy. If the 2C-T fits, that also means 3C-T which is a 2.2 litre unit will fit.

But at the end of the day, since the car you own is pretty old, you got to think whether it is worth the investment in the long run.

The car - I love so, anything is worth it for me.

The 2E engine it has right now, is on its last days.

That diesel engine, seems to be a torquey engine - Max Torque 96@2600 (more then the 2E).

Now I'll think it over and discuss it with my dad (who is going to finance my insurance and 70% actual engine change cost).

;) Thanks for the help dude.

• Like 1

If you love the car, go for it!

I used to own 2 Corollas in the past and one of it was the same 90 series, but with 1.5 litre 5A-F engine, the AE91. One of the first 5A engine coupled to a carb. A bit sluggish for modern standards but was Ok in them days. Fuel consumption was OK, but was terrible in the winter short journeys since it was a carb fed.

In my opinion, 90 series is a tough car and quite roomy inside too which I like. It will last a long time if you look after it. Keep me posted with how you get on. Hope everything goes well.

Ah, I might be sticking to a 2E after all, the Toyota Dealer had a small chat with me, and is helping me getting my hands on a good condition second hand 2E engine.

Car was neglacted a bit, but i began body restoration too, i sanded out all rust holes, and remade the missing parts with fibre glass :)

Anyhow, I'll keep you upto date with what engine i finally go for, and the fitting in process. ;)

If you are sticking to the 2E, that should be the cheapest option. It won't need altering large part of the car plus you won't get penalised by the insurance company either.

As long as you change the oil regularly you shouldn't have too much problem with the 2E. It's just the design of the 2E that the sludge can easily build up so watch out.

By the way, just out of curiosity, what model Corolla do you own?

Hey! Thanks.

Body works seems pretty good, your's. Despite the neglect, the 2E has done over 160,000km, that's pretty good.

I own an AT191G Caldina estate. Slow but economic and roomy thing.

Yo, sticking to 2Es now, do you know how i can improve its power?

i was told ram air kit, where can i get one of those, and how much power increase would that be?

i was also told exhaust, what should i do?

Also, are there any lighter flywheels available?

2e%20engine.jpg

Thanks.

Wow! Huge photo of 2E!!

I'm not into modification so for performance enhancements, others might be able to help.

I recall, there was an injection fed ones too, the 2E-E. I haven't personally driven them but injection may have sorted few flat spot problems which the 2E was prone to. You might like to go down this road.

As for the exhaust, fitting a big bore to a natural aspirated engines may result in losing torque so you got to watch out.

One time there was a turbo 2E too. That came with the EP70 series Starlet. 2E-TELU or something that was. Mind you, it may be difficult to source this turbo engine now as this goes back quite a while and there won't be many around in the breakers either.

That's right. Here in the UK, the last generation of EP80 series Starlets were coupled with 2E-E, the injected version of 2E, mainly to cope with emission legislation. I don't know about other European countries but...

You might be able to find one in your country too. That's a thought anyway. Good luck. :D

I called 5 car dealers, found only diesel engines, 3 2Es at $40 price difference, and finaly i found a dude, who didn't know the name of the engine but told me that it is of a starlet petrol, and it is cheaper then the rest, if it is a 2E-E man!!!!!!! :)

Starlets comes with different engine combination. The Jap spec ones had 4E-FE from early EP80 series while the UK ones still had 2E. The next generation Corolla had 4E-FE for the 1.3 litre variants so this unit might be your next choice. Then, there is the 4E-FTE which is the turbo version. This unit is still around and can be sourced a lot more easier than the 2E turbo version.

the 4E-FTE is of the glanze man, the 1.3 DOHC 16 valve turbo, due to the turbo the insurance might be sky high (insurance gone sky high for under 21s)

I see... The insurance tend to penalise the youth don't they? So perhaps, 4E-FE the most then? 4E-FE isn't too bad either. They pull well and gives excellent fuel economy.

Look for the 2E-E first and if not the 4E-FE option. By the way, did you find out which 1.3 engine the dude was offering?

He was offering a starlet engine, to see what is it I have to wait for my dad to get back so we go see it, he is currently abroad, and I e-mailed to see when would he be back.

I see. I'll be quite interested to see how you get on.

Keep in touch.

:( someone broke off my door handle (darn vandalists, they making me sick now!)

Any idea wer i can find a replacement?

Sorry to hear about your door handle. Vandals suck!

You might be able to pick one up from your nearest breakers, although 90 series in general is getting scarce, there are still quite a few around.

Good luck

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links