Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid electric assistance

Cjohnston1982

I know that when you accelerate hard in a Auris Hybrid it uses the Battery and motor to provide assistance to the petrol engine.

My question is what happens if the Battery is empty? Do you still get any assistance from the motor?

According the the display, if the drive Battery is low on power, all I use is the petrol engine. Until there is at least 5 bars, then I get power from both the electric motor and the petrol engine. I on a motorway using cruise at a constant 70mph, I seem to always use both. Which I’m pleased to say gives in excess of 65 mpg.

Ok thanks. Is there a noticeable difference under hard acceleration when the Battery is depleted? 

If the Battery is too low the acceleration will not be as rapid and the ICE will be revving very hard; You generally want to avoid being in that situation which is why a lot of HSD owners say you should just drive the car and let it handle the power split, rather than e.g. force it into EV mode all the time.

The car's pretty good at looking after the battery; The only normal scenario you're likely to drain the Battery that much is on a long drag up a hill or speeding a lot.

From what I understand MG2 (traction motor) will always turn when the car is moving. MG1 (starter/generator motor) supplies power to MG2 or batteries depending on load and other conditions converted from either

- kinetic energy when rolling or braking
- engine doing the work (the split if I recall correctly is 79% to the wheels 21% to MG1).

So MG2 will always support the car to some extent. I'm happy to be corrected since I'm not an expert!

3 hours ago, Cjohnston1982 said:

Ok thanks. Is there a noticeable difference under hard acceleration when the battery is depleted? 

No, I’ve not noticed any lack of power. You always have the power button, if needed, and that does make a difference.

Ok thank you for your answers. I’m deciding if I should get the 1.2t CVT or the Hybrid Auris.

If you're after an automatic there's no real compelling reason to get the 1.2T over the HSD. HSD is the best auto-box you can buy IMHO!

It also has proven reliability, whereas the 1.2T is still quite new and unproven.

The only major advantage of the 1.2T is if you wanted a manual transmission...

Is the 1.2t CVT any good? Most of my driving is on motorways and country lanes

There are a few videos in this thread showing the 1.2T under various driving conditions. More vids later on.

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:49 PM, Cjohnston1982 said:

Is there a noticeable difference under hard acceleration when the battery is depleted? 

There will be in extremis. On the Yaris Hybrid, the ICE has 74bhp and overall 100bhp. If Battery depleted, then you have lost 25%. This was shown by Autocar.

I would imagine that for the Auris, the minimum power would be around 100bhp.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links