Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alarming key fob situation

salthepal

I have a late 2005 3 door XTR, automatic, 44,300 miles.

A few months ago I was locked out when the key fob Battery failed and after many unsuccessful attempts at entering the car, a friendly nearby Vauxhall dealer replaced the keyfob Battery.

Another incident occurred on Saturday when my husband borrowed my car to visit our local hospital.  It was raining and dull and after he remotely locked up he left the lights on.  On returning, the car would not unlock no matter what he tried and after much to-ing and fro-ing we jump started the car having realised the car Battery had drained and managed to gain entry.  

We had tried all kinds of things to unlock the car including long and multiple button presses and using the key in the lock but the engine remained immobilised or the alarm sounded.

What I would love to know is what to do if this situation should arise again.  There must be some way to fix this problem.

thanks.

The alarm should sound if you unlock the door with the mechanical key when it has been locked remotely but on both my previous Avensis (haven't checked this one) it would silence when you started the engine.

Thanks for the reply.  We tried that but the engine was immobilised.

It seems the immobiliser will not reset if the Battery is low, so all you can do is what you did with jumper cables.

If you want to equip yourself against a repetition, you could consider fitting an auxiliary Battery, which would charge from the alternator, but only supply power when a switch were operated.  That would not only overcome the immobiliser problem, but also give enough for the starter to work.  I believe some BMWs actually have a two-part Battery which does that.

1 hour ago, salthepal said:

Thanks for the reply.  We tried that but the engine was immobilised.

did it actually turn over or was the Battery so low that it couldn't?

It turned over very well after jump starting.

I am grateful that You answered my question regarding flat Battery, but is there a way round the failure of the keyfob Battery?

thanks again in advance.

The keyfob Battery is only required to make the remote control for the locks and alarm work. It is not required for the immobiliser.   If it fails, just open the door with the key and silence the alarm by starting the engine.

Alternatively, carry a spare Battery and a small screwdriver :wink:

8 hours ago, salthepal said:

It turned over very well after jump starting.

It would do. What I was getting at was that you said that the engine was still immobilised but it may have just been that the Battery was too flat to start it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links