Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Avensis. Is this real or fake news?

Konrad C

On Facebook Toyota Avensis Owners, a member posted this -  https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2018-toyota-avensis-touring-sports-spied-in-europe-115766.html#

I was aware on this forum that the Avensis production has stopped and this is the end of the Avensis. The next car was supposed to be replaced by something different, based on the Corolla and may not use the Avensis name.

Is this fake news?

The article dates from February 2017.

Looks to me like pictures of the Auris prototype - possibly the new Touring Sport, or whatever the new estate will be called. Also at this year's Geneva show, Toyota declared they will drop diesel engines from their European passenger car range during 2018 - leaving diesel versions of the Hilux, Landcruiser and Proace in place - which will mean no more BMW diesels being used.

Think a new Corolla saloon will be unveiled within the next year. The new Auris already has a larger wheelbase and as the two cars share a lot of their structure, etc, presumably the new Corolla will also grow in size (the current Corolla has the same size wheelbase as the Avensis and Prius).

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The article dates from February 2017.

Looks to me like pictures of the Auris prototype - possibly the new Touring Sport, or whatever the new estate will be called.

I am not convinced that that car photographed is an estate - I think that a lot of the rear of it is a false structure to disguise it. Similarly the front headlights etc. in no way fit in with current Toyota styling trends ... :unsure: 

Locally I do sometimes see prototypes on the road - years ago used to be from BL/Rover, and in later years JLR. Patterned paintwork to break up the details of the bodyshell, plastic cladding and fake body parts are often part of the disguise. Used to live a few miles away from Longbridge. Currently live within six miles of JLR's Castle Bromwich plant.

For example, before the Maestro was launched, we had VW Jettas running around with massive bulges in the bonnet - testing the A-series engine with the VW gearbox, which were taller in the engine bay than the VW engines.

In recent years, we've seen prototype XJ's, XF's, Discoveries, Range Rover/Range Rover Sports, Evoques ,etc.

• Like 1

On 19/03/2018 at 10:26 AM, Heidfirst said:

I am not convinced that that car photographed is an estate - I think that a lot of the rear of it is a false structure to disguise it. Similarly the front headlights etc. in no way fit in with current Toyota styling trends ... :unsure: 

Now this looks more like a nearly production ready new Auris Touring Sports estate ...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/auris/103041/new-2019-toyota-auris-touring-sports-estate-spied

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links