Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Service Due And Mot..

TotallyToto

On 4/4/2018 at 7:49 PM, TotallyToto said:

I'll probably take my car to the dealer, then. The Toyota roadside assistance renewall also arrived today, another £70.00..Be living on beans again for the next 12 months..Lol..

Shop around, I don't have toyota roadside assistance, I went with Greenflag for £20

If you don't need the full thing then it's worth looking at AA directly as their cheapest package is less than the Toyota Roadside, same with RAC and Greenflag.

If you want the full thing tho' it's pretty competitive - It's normally something like £120 last time I looked at the AA and RAC equivs. Greenflag quotes £60 but the small print says "10% of customers achieve these prices" so I'm not sure how that works.

The Toyota Roadside price hikes do suck, but they haven't gone over the tipping point for me yet - I'm doing 2 cars and get a (small) discount on one of them, and I'm taking advantage of the 10% discount for Toyota Insurance so it works out cheaper overall!

(The only annoyance is I've had to get them to re-apply the discount every year so far as they don't do it by default in the renewal quote!)

As regards breakdown cover, the Which? Recommended Providers for 2018, based on a combination of customer scoring, speed of service, and knowledge & capability of mechanic were:

Third party breakdown providers - Saga Breakdown (86%),  LV Britannia Rescue (83%), Autoaid (79%).

Car manufacturer breakdown providers - Hondacare Assistance (90%), Toyota Roadside Assistance (90%), Ford Assist (88%). 

1 hour ago, Wiz201 said:

Shop around, I don't have toyota roadside assistance, I went with Greenflag for £20

Almost certainly not the same coverage though e.g. do you have "at home"?

Admittedly Greenflag just quoted me £47 for my car with equivalent cover to Toyota Roadside Assistance - supposedly a 50% discount from their standard pricing but nevertheless as at today cheaper than Toyota.

Yeah, I tend to go by the 'normal' price because the discount thing is so arbitrary; They give you huge discounts to get you in then renew at the 'full' price and you have to call them up and haggle it down again or threaten to leave if you want to keep the 'introductory' price going.

It kinda pisses me off and is why I tend not to have any brand loyalty to companies that do this - Virgin Media is a great example of a company that does this; Stupidly cheap introductory prices but once you're in you get sod-all. If anything, the longer you're with them the worse they treat you!

I've found if I threaten to leave every 6 months they cut my bill in half, whereas before they kept adding a few quid on every now and then until I was paying £200 more a year than I was when I started before I noticed and put a stop to it!

We don't need to purchase breakdown cover for our Hyundai, as breakdown cover is supplied for the duration of the new car warranty (5 years) and is similar in coverage to Toyota's Roadside Assistance.

We've also stayed with Toyota Roadside Assistance partly due to having a good Which? recommendation, partly due to the pricing being competitive to others, and if one buys a new Toyota, one can transfer the balance of any existing Roadside Assistance membership to the new car.

13 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:
We've had service plans on our three of our four recent purchases (we've had 21 new cars) - a Hyundai (not the current i20 as we purchased a three year service pack giving three services for £349), our last Auris, and our current Aygo. With the Toyota's the costs have been based on the Fixed Price Service costs. As I said earlier the main advantage of service plans is that they protect against any price rises which may occur during the plan. With our Toyota deler we also get a 10% reduction on parts, accessories and labour for any work done outside of the servicing - warranty repairs are of course at no cost to the owner.

We've always compared the costs with the 'pay as you go' services, and never paid over the odds. With the Auris we also had a brake fluid change thrown in for free at two years. 

If the Auris service plan you've been quoted for, is for just three services (a combination of Intermediate and Full services) and is on the time-based service regime, then either the dealer has made errors in working out the cost or they are fleecing the customer. Despite what the dealer has said to you, I would suggest most owners aren't that gullible as to just accept a high cost for servicing without comparing prices. On these forums we often have queries on service plans, and almost without exception they have all been based on Toyota's published costs or less - not more. 

As regards extras, with any manufacturer, repairs such as brake discs/pads replacements, air con re-gassing, etc, are outside the cost of the services, and aren't usually included within a service plan, unless that is what the owner requests. With Toyota, if servicing is done and costed on the revised schedules, instances of owners being charged extras for servicing have been reduced. Toyota also has a fixed price repair scheme which covers certain repairs (brake discs, brake pads, batteries, etc).

But again we don't know whether your annual mileage is likely to be more or less than 10K - so if the Auris service plan is based on the mileage regime, costs may be different.

The Aygo service plan you've been quoted for, even given the revised service schedules and costs from April 2016, appears to be similarly over-priced.- again assuming servicing is on the time-based regime.

I do around 10,000 per year as I said in a earlier post, all I can say is when was the last time you got quoted for a service plan for the Aygo or Auris and how much do you pay.

I’ve quoted costs provide by RRG group, the service manager did say most customers take out service plans possibly hoping I would go with the majority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, j66 said:
Hi all he wife’s Aygo does about 2000 per year and at the start of 2015 when new we had a service plan for £13 per month, as of 23rd March 18 Toyota wanted £26 per month for the same service. My Auris will cover about 800 per month so just under 10,000, RRG Toyota want £48.00 per month thats what my figures are based on, you get no brake fluid or any other ancillaries.

So I plan to pay as I go.

Mileage as stated in a earlier post.

13 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:
But again we don't know whether your annual mileage is likely to be more or less than 10K  

3 hours ago, j66 said:

I do around 10,000 per year as I said in a earlier post, all I can say is when was the last time you got quoted for a service plan for the Aygo or Auris and how much do you pay.

I took out service plans for the Auris and Aygo just after delivery - so October 2012 and August 2016 respectively.

For the Aygo, the service plan cost £530, which is slightly less than the pay as you go costs of £545. Additionally I have written into the plan, the use of 0W-20 oil (Toyota's preferred oil) as some dealers use 5W--30, and the supply of copies of the service invoices (to support the service history as usually the invoices just go to the service plan management company).

As regards your Auris, I would be inclined to ring the dealership and ask for the name of the dealer principal. I would then write to the dealer principal, detail the services and costs of the service plan you've been quoted for, detail the costs of the services according to Toyota's fixed price servicing, and ask him to justify the differences in costs.

The fact that the service manager claimed that people just sign up to service plans without checking costs isn't justification, and I doubt whether this is accurate anyway.

20 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

Almost certainly not the same coverage though e.g. do you have "at home"?

Admittedly Greenflag just quoted me £47 for my car with equivalent cover to Toyota Roadside Assistance - supposedly a 50% discount from their standard pricing but nevertheless as at today cheaper than Toyota.

No I don't have home start cover.

I took out service plans for the Auris and Aygo just after delivery - so October 2012 and August 2016 respectively.
For the Aygo, the service plan cost £530, which is slightly less than the pay as you go costs of £545. Additionally I have written into the plan, the use of 0W-20 oil (Toyota's preferred oil) as some dealers use 5W--30, and the supply of copies of the service invoices (to support the service history as usually the invoices just go to the service plan management company).
As regards your Auris, I would be inclined to ring the dealership and ask for the name of the dealer principal. I would then write to the dealer principal, detail the services and costs of the service plan you've been quoted for, detail the costs of the services according to Toyota's fixed price servicing, and ask him to justify the differences in costs.
The fact that the service manager claimed that people just sign up to service plans without checking costs isn't justification, and I doubt whether this is accurate anyway.

Hi Frosty.

I took out the service plan for the Aygo brand new 2015 @ £13 per month over 3 years £468.00.

Over in Lytham we have another Toyota dealership I’m going to ring them and ask for a quote for both cars.

I don’t think writing will solve anything the price is what Toyota say it is, I believe most people do take up the service plans because of the way it’s sold to the customers and myself after the sale via “ if you don’t have the services the warranty will be invalid route” he even told me that if I didn’t have the air con serviced that would invalidate the warranty which IMO is just plain wrong.

1 hour ago, j66 said:

I took out the service plan for the Aygo brand new 2015 @ £13 per month over 3 years £468.00. 

I don’t think writing will solve anything the price is what Toyota say it is

That would have been under the old schedules and costs.

As regards costs, these are challengable - the plans should be based roughly on the fixed price servicing costs, and if not, one can query them.

Their charging seems excessive.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links