Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Worried About My Corolla!

louise3512uk

Hey everyone :D

I'm a bit concerned about my car... it's a V reg 1.3 corolla SE..

I thought they were supposed to be excellent for fuel consumption but mine isn't... I'm only getting around 300 miles maximum from a full tank of petrol.. id this normal and am I a worrier? or should I check something out?

Any ideas?

Also it doens't always feel stable at high(ish) speeds... which made me think that it may be the tyre pressures? Sometimes driving on a straight road at maybe 80+ish it feels occasionally like it jerks around a bit...

I'm not that clued up on cars so any advice appreciated, cheers :thumbsup:

Hey everyone :D

I'm a bit concerned about my car... it's a V reg 1.3 corolla SE..

I thought they were supposed to be excellent for fuel consumption but mine isn't... I'm only getting around 300 miles maximum from a full tank of petrol.. id this normal and am I a worrier? or should I check something out?

Any ideas?

Also it doens't always feel stable at high(ish) speeds... which made me think that it may be the tyre pressures? Sometimes driving on a straight road at maybe 80+ish it feels occasionally like it jerks around a bit...

I'm not that clued up on cars so any advice appreciated, cheers :thumbsup:

You might want to check the air filter isn't clogged up with dirt. If it's not a performance filter and you haven't replaced it with the last year you might want to try that, if it is a performance filter then give it a good clean with the right cleaning fluids. The car could be using more fuel because it's not getting enough air.

Probably is the tyre pressure that's making it feel unstable. Check the maual for the correct pressure's and then check each tyre. If your carrying heavy loads you may need to put a little extra air in then anyway.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

Thanks, fantastic advice... I'll check my tyre pressures at the petrol station..

I dunno anything about the air filter, I presume it is the standard manufacturers one and I don't really know how to sort it out?!

Thanks, fantastic advice... I'll check my tyre pressures at the petrol station..

I dunno anything about the air filter, I presume it is the standard manufacturers one and I don't really know how to sort it out?!

Got a boyfriend, brother, dad or friend that could have a look. If not, go to Halfords and ask at the parts counter, tell them you think your air filter is dirty and can they have a quick look. They should tell you wether you need a new one or not. :thumbsup:

No boyfriend, brothers have less of a clue than me and dad knows even less than them! :D

I'll pop over to Halfords in the week..

Cheers for the advice :D

My 2 cents advise..

1) please check yur engine tuning/ need to send for new setting...

2) normally there is problem between yur driving skill

3) Carburator need to service... ( clean with petrol )

unstable driving...

1) tyes pressure

2) Wheel condition... ( may be broken )

3) wheels not balance ( send to tires shop and make a balancing )

4) Absorber/ Suspension problem ( need to change )

Regards,

Louise, I think your fuel consumption is fine. I get between 200 and 250 mile per tank of fuel. But then I do drive in a spirited manor :D

As far as the handling is concerned, it may be just the tracking that needs checking and/or adjusting :thumbsup:

My corolla was all over the place - dodging and diving in different directions on accelleration and decelleration at any speed. Got the tracking sorted last weekend and now no probs at all B)

If the tracking does not sort it, then we'll need to look at other options already mentioned :thumbsup:

Thanks for that, I only bought the car at the end of the school easter holidays... a couple of months ago, so it was serviced then (supposedly)

Balancing - I thought about that too as the car drifts to the left... I think I should get it looked at!

Thanks for that, I only bought the car at the end of the school easter holidays... a couple of months ago, so it was serviced then (supposedly)

Balancing - I thought about that too as the car drifts to the left... I think I should get it looked at!

if the tracking is off you'll get lower fuel economy and quicker tyre wear, defo worth checking...

go to a local garage, or tyre place, and they will check your tracking.

Sometimes if its windy on the motorway, the car can ***** left or right sometimes...

...EDIT...

Why does it censor jer k ???

Roll it round one evening and I'll have a look for ya ..

I get sort of miles to the tank, so i dont think you have a problem there :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links