Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clunky gearbox

Damitjanet

I had a 63 Plate yaris 1.3 manual 6 speed Yaris from new.  Was clunky from the start.  Gears were very close together and not always easy to find.  Became even more problematic over the first year and they adjusted the 'gear guide' which improved the ease of putting in to gear but not the clunkiness!  Gradually I became used to it and I think the way I changed gear adapted and the clunkiness became less significant - or I got used to it.

Certainly the gear change was never silent and smooth like on many other cars. But it was always there and didn't seem to get worse although - I only kept it for a couple of years before getting a 1.6 auris.

I've driven a few newer cars from different manufacturers lately and have come to this conclusion. I think most cars these days utilise a cable system to select gears on the gearbox, whereas years ago, cars used rod and ball joint selectors.

The rod and ball joint linkages, to me, felt smoother, better weighted, not as floppy and were less clunky than the cable equivalent.

• Like 1

I hadn't expressed an opinion because, as I stated, the Auris gearchange may not be directly comparable to that of the Yaris for the reason given. Rather than being a boast, my post provided a comparison between the Auris and the other new cars we've had, and provided a context for that comparison. It wasn't difficult to understand.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links